Thank you so much for your help Ahmed. You were right, I was indeed affected by that bug. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on my box and had to do so again when I figured out that it managed to use MBR partitioning again rather than GPT. To fix this I simply removed the bootmgr file from my USB flash drive which installs Windows 8.1. This makes it impossible for Windows Setup to boot in BIOS mode and forces UEFI mode, I read on Microsoft Technet.
As for choosing the destination disk of a partition, your method didn't work for me. However, there is an easily missed button in the lower left corner of the partitioning screen of Anaconda which allows you to choose which disk the partition should be created on. This design is user-unfriendly and I guess I'll file a bug about it later. Anyway, with Windows 8.1 GPT partitions Anaconda had no problem at all and the installation went fine. I also have 8 GB RAM, but having read topic #1559051 some time ago I put a 4 GB swap partition on my hard disk to be safe. I'm not sure if 8 GB is enough to have no swap partition if I'm running a video game and have Firefox open in the background with a billion tabs?
Until I restarted that is. GRUB2 managed to boot Fedora 20 fine, but Windows 8.1 no longer boots because bootmgfw.efi can't be found. I've noticed that many others have problems with this too, in topic #1681887 you give a summarized solution in which you refer to topic #1661415 for more detailed instructions.
I followed the first steps. My Windows 8 EFI System Partition (ESP) is /dev/sda2 and my Fedora ESP is /dev/sda5. I did the following per your advice as root:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/efi-windows
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/efi-windows/
cp -r /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/ /mnt/efi-windows/EFI/
This copied the files succesfully, but then you write it's necessary to edit fstab. My fstab is:
Code:
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Fri Jan 10 19:04:49 2014
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=3ec4114b-a84c-45ee-b2d0-27d839fad557 / ext4 defaults 1 1
UUID=749fb40e-7153-4ba6-87ff-58569b7b7cc4 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
UUID=5EEB-7ABA /boot/efi vfat umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 0
UUID=5f7547da-f5e5-480b-844c-fed13e92b151 /home ext4 defaults 1 2
UUID=08fda7d7-e2ea-4de8-95fe-8f0787dfb398 swap swap defaults 0 0
But what do I do next? Obviously /boot/efi has to be replaced with an entry pointing to the Windows 8 ESP now, but how? The instructions aren't clear to me and I'm afraid I might make a mistake. I would appreciate any help very much.
I spent nearly the whole day trying to set up both Fedora 20 and Windows 8.1 and I'm very frustrated now. I'd wish UEFI and GPT weren't so complex to turn dual-booting into rocket science, with BIOS and MBR it was easy.