FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    F20 error checking storage config.

    I can't get past the storage configuration in F20 installation (beta and RC1) with custom partitioning - error checking storage configuration. I have 60 GB SSD for root, 1 TB HDD for swap, var, home partitions (ext4).
    Do I need GPT and UEFI? I'd like to use Grub. The 60 GB SSD is MBR and 1 partition for /
    Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: F20 error checking storage config.

    if you go back into the storage configuration spoke and look for the red error bar at the bottom and click on it, do you get a more useful error message? 'error checking storage configuration' is the generic error message for 'something went wrong on the partitioning spoke', which obviously isn't detailed enough for us to figure out what went wrong in your case. thanks!
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: F20 error checking storage config.

    I have partitions prepared beforehand, then I select them manualy - root, swap, var, home.
    The error bar says:
    you have not created bootloader stage 1 target device
    you have not created a bootable partition

    I'm doing everything the way I have done hundred times before. The SSD disk is marked as bootable in the overview.
    Thank you

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: F20 error checking storage config.

    The most common case we're seeing of this is if you're trying to do a UEFI install to an msdos-labelled ('MBR') disk. You can't do that; the disk has to be formatted in gpt format. If you can, go to ctrl-alt-f2, go to /tmp , and fpaste out (or get out some other way) the *.log files there, and I could take a look at those to check. But that's the most common case. The other would be if you did a BIOS install to a GPT-labelled disk and didn't create a 'BIOS Boot Partition' as part of your layout, or did a UEFI install to a GPT-labelled disk but didn't create a correct 'EFI System Partition' as part of your layout.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: F20 error checking storage config.

    Yes, that was the problem, I had to make the disk GPT and make partitions 1) /boot/efi 2) /boot and 3) /. Thank you!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: F20 error checking storage config.

    Great, glad you got it going. There's an enhancement request bug for making the error message clearer in the cases where we can easily tell what went wrong, but I can't promise it'll happen soon - minor enhancements can take a while with anaconda since there's so much high-priority work to do on it.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Similar Threads

  1. yum-package-error f20-3-11-9-300; upd: today
    By gebor in forum F-20 Development Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th November 2013, 08:04 PM
  2. The 'Error checking storage configuration' thing
    By bogdan2011 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th October 2013, 11:50 AM
  3. Error checking storage configuration
    By benerivo in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st July 2013, 10:39 PM
  4. [SOLVED]
    Can't install Fedora (dual-boot) - "Error checking storage configuration"
    By robawalsh in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd June 2013, 01:36 PM
  5. [SOLVED]
    Fedora Install Error "Error checking storage configuration"
    By FatalGlory in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 3rd March 2013, 10:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •