FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    Hi,

    as uttered in a different thread already, I'm suffering from intolerably long delays between gdm-login and the availability of the gnome-shell (up to 40 seconds).

    Usually it takes that long when logging in directly after a fresh boot. It usually takes 25 seconds until the gdm-wallpaper is replaced by the users wallpaper. After that it takes another 10-15 seconds until the top-panel appears and sometimes again 5-10 seconds until the GUI is responsive to mouse/keyboard input.

    If I log out from a current session and log in again, I don't experience those delays!

    There are no helpful entries in the most important log files.

    Is there anybody else suffering from this? What might cause this behaviour? Is this a known bug or is it worth to report this?
    Last edited by tuxor; 19th March 2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Fedora on Lenovo ThinkPad T400s

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    Hi

    It is probably hardware dependant as GNOME Shell depends on acceleration. File it with your display details
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    hm is it really related to this thread or did you post the wrong link?

    I have this long delay after login too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin
    hm is it really related to this thread or did you post the wrong link?

    I have this long delay after login too.
    Yes se http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...10#post1453410

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    no, I'm sorry, but you got me completely wrong. I've been experiencing this for weeks now.
    Fedora on Lenovo ThinkPad T400s

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    "yum remove at-spi2*" should help to reduce the delay (see mail here). For me the delay between login and Gnome 3 desktop is about 12 seconds now. Still not fast but ok

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin
    "yum remove at-spi2*" should help to reduce the delay (see mail here). For me the delay between login and Gnome 3 desktop is about 12 seconds now. Still not fast but ok
    Thank you for this hint, but I removed all a11y-tools immediately after installation of F15, so there are no packages at-spi* ... by the way, the delay is getting shorter from update to update, so I'm hopeful this will be OK until the final release ;-)
    Fedora on Lenovo ThinkPad T400s

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin
    "yum remove at-spi2*" should help to reduce the delay (see mail here). For me the delay between login and Gnome 3 desktop is about 12 seconds now. Still not fast but ok
    That seems to make a big difference for me. Cheers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,390
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    I am getting the long delay as well. And as tuxor above, the delay does seem to be getting shorter with each update.

    I haven't been looking too much into it since it has been improving, though. I figured they at least had a handle on the issue, knew what was causing it, and are taking steps to alleviate the problem.

    Now if I could just figure out how to get the danged desktop back so I could drop my files on it, I would be happy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    @DBelton I am sure I saw something related to dropping files on desktop in the dconf-editor, I don't exactly remember where and I can not check because dconf-editor has been broken for quite some time now. If you have the patience to look through gsettings by listing keys you may find it

    ---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

    @DBelton I think I found it. Install gnome-tweak-tool and its there under file manager tab.
    Last edited by calanor; 31st March 2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Fedora 15 x86_64, thinkpad edge 14

    Common sense can not be compiled.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,390
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Long delay between gdm-login and gnome-shell

    calanor, yes there is an option to let filemanager control the desktop, but it does not work like you would think it does. I tried it the other day and at first it looked like it was just what I wanted... Until I opened a folder. Then that folder became the desktop, and there was no way to close it, or get out of it

    It is a little progress, though, and it makes me think that with a little tweaking, I may get my good ole desktop back yet

Similar Threads

  1. Long delay after logon in
    By jflesher in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th January 2008, 09:43 AM
  2. Cups, other apps causing long delay at boot, due to network problems?
    By TheEnquirer in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd November 2006, 08:09 AM
  3. long delay when accessing samba
    By grg183 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th August 2006, 03:31 AM
  4. Long delay when DHCPing with Ndiswrapper/WPA ?
    By razoos in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th April 2005, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •