FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In your closet
    Posts
    16,561
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    It seems that the latest round of updates may have hosed my F15 Alpha install. All was well last night but couldn't finish booting the system this morning. So, since I don't really give a hoot about any of my systems I did a complete reinstall of F15A and then a full yum update. Rebooted and again can't complete the boot. Never reaches the desktop. Maybe I should go get some details but meanwhile, anyone else having issues booting Fedora 15 Alpha this fine morning?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    See http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ch/097931.html
    "Alternatively, reset your system, boot into runlevel 1, start networking
    (systemctl start network.service), yum downgrade rsyslog, and reboot."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    tuxor posted two solutions in this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=259897&page=4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Quote Originally Posted by flokip
    See http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ch/097931.html
    "Alternatively, reset your system, boot into runlevel 1, start networking
    (systemctl start network.service), yum downgrade rsyslog, and reboot."
    Hi, I tried this one and worked, thanks . This happened to me with a Thinkpad T60 and suffered exactly the same fate as the original poster. After the recent updates and before this incident I was having some difficulties shouting down the machine, forcing me to force it. Nos sure if it's related.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In your closet
    Posts
    16,561
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Yes, I have to force shutdown also.

    OK. Flokip's suggestion worked for me. I was his suggestion, no? Anyhow, I booted to runlevel 1, started networking and downgraded rsyslog and rebooted. Here I am. Thank you Flokip.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    I have a problem... I am unable to start networking. And I obviously can't run "yum downgrade rsyslog" without a network connection.

    I tried "ifup eth0" and "dhclient eth0", but they fail since there is no eth0. When I do a "ifconfig", I only see "lo". I also tried "sysctl start networking.service" to no avail.

    I'm stumped. Ideas?

  7. #7
    tox Guest

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    im also finding Systemd or whatever it is does not always complete loading of all services

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddokun
    I have a problem... I am unable to start networking. And I obviously can't run "yum downgrade rsyslog" without a network connection.

    I tried "ifup eth0" and "dhclient eth0", but they fail since there is no eth0. When I do a "ifconfig", I only see "lo". I also tried "sysctl start networking.service" to no avail.

    I'm stumped. Ideas?
    Hi,

    use the LiveCD or Netinst in Rescue-Mode.

    In both cases, you will have to mount your root partition with something like this

    mount /dev/mapper/vg_XYZ_root /mnt

    and then

    chroot /mnt

    then

    yum downgrade rsyslog


    LK

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manorville, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Isn't this the same problem that was talked about in this thread from post 49 to the end? If you add "systemd.unit=rescue.target" to the end of the kernel line in grub it boots, then executing:
    # grep rsyslogd /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M mypol
    # semodule -i mypol.pp
    allows F15 to boot normally again. Saves the hassle of downgrading.
    Registered Linux User #348347
    Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
    Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Lebenskuenstler's solution above worked for me. I booted the F15 alpha livecd, used nautilus to mount temporarily my / partition, chrooted into it and ran "yum downgrade rsyslog". The system now boots. Hurray!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddokun
    I have a problem... I am unable to start networking. And I obviously can't run "yum downgrade rsyslog" without a network connection.

    I tried "ifup eth0" and "dhclient eth0", but they fail since there is no eth0. When I do a "ifconfig", I only see "lo". I also tried "sysctl start networking.service" to no avail.

    I'm stumped. Ideas?
    Fedora 15 Alpha renames the connections on my PC.

    Have a look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ for the ifcfg-* files.

    Mine get renamed to something like "pc8ia" or something wierd

    I am not sure but it does this during the bootup process. You can also look through 'dmesg' log to see what happens with the network service

    generally 'ifup pc8ia' works on my machine (using the newly renamed config)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Circleville, Ohio
    Age
    79
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    It seems to be caused by selinux. Test list says to set selinux to permissive and it will boot up.
    Dan
    Registered Linux user #432525
    Linux Box # 337563

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    It's only indirectly caused by selinux. Actually it has its origin in systemd and rsyslog.
    Fedora on Lenovo ThinkPad T400s

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Thank goodness for this thread!

    Quite takes you back to the old times when main Fedora was really cutting edge doesn't it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,686
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Latest updates, system never completes boot process.

    Hrrm, unneeded, over complicated things that break the basics? Yeah, it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Latest updates have stopped my dual boot working
    By aboulien in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th July 2010, 03:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •