FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    hi,
    Sorry for my bad English! I am a newbie.I have some problem with my wireless network in Fedora 13.
    #:lspci
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    I found the firmware and installed it,but it still can not work!
    There are some output:
    #:ifconfig
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 70:5B:04:68:96:9C
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:2376 (2.3 KiB)
    #iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"jjyy"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:3132-3334-35
    Power Managementff

    vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.

    virbr0 no wireless extensions.
    I can use "iwlist wlan0 scan" to scan wireless network.There are a lot of wireless network could be found in GNOME networkmanager.I try to connect to my wireless network,but it doesn't work.Finally,I used commind line to instead of GUI,but it do nothing!
    #:ifup wlan0

    Error org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.InvalidConn ection: ifcfg file '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0' unknown
    Error org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.InvalidConn ection: ifcfg file '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0' unknown
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    Determining IP information for wlan0... failed; no link present. Check cable?
    #:cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
    # Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
    DEVICE=wlan0
    HWADDR=70:5B:04:68:96:9C
    ONBOOT=no
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    TYPE=Wireless
    NM_CONTROLLED=yes
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    MODE=Auto
    RATE=auto

    PEERDNS=yes
    ESSID=
    CHANNEL=

    #:dmesg | tail

    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 3)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 timed out
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 1)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 2)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 3)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 timed out
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 1)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 2)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 (try 3)
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 94:0c:6d:4b:32:c8 timed out


    #:dmesg | grep b43

    b43-pci-bridge 0000:0c:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    b43-pci-bridge 0000:0c:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    b43-phy0: Broadcom 4312 WLAN found (core revision 15)
    Registered led device: b43-phy0::tx
    Registered led device: b43-phy0::rx
    Registered led device: b43-phy0::radio
    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/ucode15.fw
    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/lp0initvals15.fw
    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/lp0bsinitvals15.fw
    b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01 00:50:23)
    b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000400, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
    b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please use PIO instead.
    b43-phy0: Controller RESET (DMA error) ...
    b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01 00:50:23)
    b43-phy0: Controller restarted



    Using dhclient wlan0 have no output and using ping xxx.xxxx.xxxx display:


    connect: Network is unreachable


    I have google search about a week,but no answer has been found!
    Could you give me some help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Quote Originally Posted by kenifanying

    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/ucode15.fw
    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/lp0initvals15.fw
    b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/lp0bsinitvals15.fw
    To me, your wireless card is attempting to use the built-in b43 driver and the b43-openfwwf firmware that is also available in Fedora nowadays. Some versions of the BCM4312 chipset can indeed work with the b43 driver. However, the OpenFWWF firmware is not known to work with the BCM4312 chipset. There is other firmware available from OpenWrt that does work with b43 for some versions of the BCM4312. But I don't recommend that you continue with b43.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenifanying

    I have google search about a week,but no answer has been found!
    Of course do what you want, but my recommendation is to install the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver (also known simply as broadcom-wl). All versions of the BCM4312 seem to work very well with it. It's been around since about 2008 and is well-known, so I am astonished that you did not read about it after searching for an entire week. Anyway, if your computer has a wired NIC connection to the Internet to do its own downloads, then here is what to do...
    1. Install the RPM Fusion repos...
    2. Install the broadcom-wl driver...
      Code:
      su
      yum install akmod-wl
    3. Reboot and check the NetworkManager panel applet icon for available networks (left-click the panel icon) and connect.


    If you don't have a wired NIC connection to the Internet, then post this to identify your kernel...
    Code:
    uname -r
    Then I or someone will tell you what files to download from RPM Fusion on another computer, transfer to the wireless computer, and manually install.
    Last edited by stoat; 30th July 2010 at 07:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Unfortunately,I don't have a wired NIC connection to the Internet.
    $:uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu May 6 18:27:11 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    I hope someone will tell me how to mannually install the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver step by step.Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Download these two files from RPM Fusion using another computer, and somehow get them transferred to the wireless computer....Then open a terminal and change directories to where they are and...
    Code:
    su
    rpm -ivh *.rpm
    Then reboot and check the NetworkManager panel applet for available networks. If it works remember to go back to RPM Fusion and install the repos.

    P.S.: You need kernel-devel installed to use akmods. I regret not mentioning that before. You can easily install kernel-devel from your DVD, or you can download the kmod version of the broadcom-wl files. The kmods don't need kernel-devel. Here...
    Last edited by stoat; 31st July 2010 at 03:16 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Sorry,I forgot the URL about rpmfusion.More,I'd like to know whether I should uninstall the firmware or something else before I install the drive ?Thanks!

    ---------- Post added at 10:20 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM CDT ----------

    I'm so stupid !Now,I kown how to download it!

    ---------- Post added at 10:21 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM CDT ----------

    BUt should I uninstall something ?

    ---------- Post added at 10:25 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM CDT ----------

    I don't have a wired NIC connection to the Internet. It's inconvenient for me to use Internet ,so I want to learn more details!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Quote Originally Posted by kenifanying

    ...I'd like to know whether I should uninstall the firmware or something else before I install the drive ?
    No, I would just forget about the b43 firmware for now. The kernel is usually good about not loading b43 when broadcom-wl is installed. And if b43 doesn't load, the firmware just sits there doing nothing. Forget about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenifanying

    ...I forgot the URL about rpmfusion
    Actually, you don't need the RPM Fusion URL, those links in my last post are direct to the files in the repo. Get on another computer with an Internet connection, navigate to this thread, and click on those links (even if it's Windows and using Windows Explorer). They will download.

    P.S.: Download the kmod files if you do not have kernel-devel installed. Both methods work just as well, but you don't need to worry about kernel-devel with the kmods. I only mentioned the akmod version at a time when I didn't know your kernel version, and it was simpler. Then I remembered the potential kernel-devel complication.
    Last edited by stoat; 31st July 2010 at 03:34 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    I will go back home to try it later.Thank you so much !

    ---------- Post added at 06:59 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM CDT ----------

    hi stoat,
    Though I did it as you say, it still doesn't work.I was so disappointed and I will be crasy if this condition could not be changed!I try the akmod-wl,but akmods and kmod-tools is needed by akmod-wl.So,I try the kmod and installed it.Then I reboot the Fedora,but it still could not connect to service.
    #:dmesg | tail
    SELinux: initialized (dev mqueue, type mqueue), uses transition SIDs
    lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    SELinux: initialized (dev proc, type proc), uses genfs_contexts
    wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    fuse init (API version 7.13)
    SELinux: initialized (dev fuse, type fuse), uses genfs_contexts
    warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
    device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
    CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 15000 nsec
    #:dmesg | grep b43
    #:dmesg | grep -i error
    Using these command have no output,so " DMA error" should have be solved!
    dmesg | grep -i wireless
    eth1: Broadcom BCM4315 802.11 Hybrid Wireless Controller 5.60.48.36
    I don't know why my wireless NIC is displayed as eth1.
    #:ifconfig
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 70:1A:04:68:96:A2
    inet6 addr: fe80::721a:4ff:fe68:96a2/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1330 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:102
    TX packets:39 errors:6 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:101468 (99.0 KiB) TX bytes:13650 (13.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000
    My net card should have loaded.
    $:iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:24 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Managementmode:All packets received
    Link Quality=5/5 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-90 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:285 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.

    When I try to connect to my router,iwconfig has this output:

    lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"jjyy" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: 56:0C:6D:4B:327
    Bit Rate=48 Mb/s Tx-Power:24 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Managementmode:All packets received
    Link Quality=4/5 Signal level=-63 dBm Noise level=-82 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:285 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
    virbr0 no wireless extensions.

    #:iwlist wlan0 scan
    wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Invalid argument
    #:iwlist wlan0 scan
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 56:0C:6D:4B:327
    ESSID:"ggyy"
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
    Quality:4/5 Signal level:-63 dBm Noise level:-90 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Using the iwlist wlan0 scan,it will work sometime,but also will not work sometime.
    #:lsmod | sort
    bridge 37420 0
    dcdbas 6360 1 dell_laptop
    dell_laptop 2896 0
    dell_wmi 2499 0
    drm 133962 5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    drm_kms_helper 21663 1 radeon
    fuse 46663 2
    i2c_algo_bit 3929 1 radeon
    i2c_core 19651 6 videodev,i2c_i801,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_al go_bit
    i2c_i801 8286 0
    ip6table_filter 2191 1
    ip6_tables 9211 2 ip6t_ipv6header,ip6table_filter
    ip6t_ipv6header 1153 2
    ip6t_REJECT 3298 2
    iptable_nat 4487 1
    ipt_MASQUERADE 1688 1
    ipv6 216224 28 ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
    iTCO_vendor_support 1963 1 iTCO_wdt
    iTCO_wdt 8724 0
    joydev 7291 0
    lib80211 4006 2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
    lib80211_crypt_tkip 6672 0
    llc 3545 2 bridge,stp
    microcode 10013 0
    Module Size Used by
    nf_conntrack_ipv6 13996 6
    nf_conntrack_netbios_ns 1090 0
    nf_nat 15357 2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
    output 1541 1 video
    radeon 552859 3
    rfkill 12905 2 dell_laptop
    serio_raw 3531 0
    sky2 34461 0
    snd 45127 15 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    snd_hda_codec 61515 2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hda_codec_idt 44127 1
    snd_hda_intel 20311 4
    snd_hwdep 4704 1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_page_alloc 5941 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    snd_pcm 59444 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    snd_seq 41363 0
    snd_seq_device 4867 1 snd_seq
    snd_timer 15063 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    soundcore 4842 1 snd
    stp 1367 1 bridge
    sunrpc 159624 1
    ttm 43888 1 radeon
    uinput 5210 0
    usb_storage 34392 0
    uvcvideo 46869 0
    v4l1_compat 11106 2 uvcvideo,videodev
    vboxdrv 149503 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
    vboxnetadp 5202 0
    vboxnetflt 12275 1
    video 17109 0
    videodev 29534 1 uvcvideo
    wl 1952625 0
    wmi 5444 1 dell_wmi
    xt_physdev 1363 1
    #:airmon-ng
    Interface Chipset Driver
    wlan0 Unknown wl
    $:iwlsit wlan0 scan
    wlan0 this interface does not support scan!
    Anybody can tell me why?
    I don't know what mistake has happend.Could someone help me?
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    At least some of that output you posted indicated that the broadcom-wl module is being loaded and the wlan0 interface was associated with an access point.

    When you said "it still doesn't work", what did you mean by that? Exactly. If you mean that your web browser is not displaying web pages, then it could be a browser or DNS resolution issue (not unheard of). In that case, try pinging an IP address. Here is Google's...
    Code:
    ping -c 5 74.125.65.103
    If that produced returns, then you are connected to the Internet. Next try pinging a URL...
    Code:
    ping -c 5 www.google.com
    If that that produced returns, then you can resolve DNS addresses. Next, if you are using Firefox, try toggling it's network.dns.disableIPv6 config property to true...Try Firefox again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Thanks again stoat

    ---------- Post added at 10:04 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM CDT ----------

    In fact,I reinstall the Fedora 13,and install the bcm4312 firmware.Then,install the broadcom-wl and kmod as you say.Now,all the problem has been solved!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    Very well.

    Two final comments from me...

    For next time, you don't need to install firmware when you intend to use broadcom-wl. Just install broadcom-wl and the appropriate kmods for your kernel. Or broadcom-wl and akmod-wl.

    The other thing, now that you are connected to the Internet, is to install the RPM Fusion repos as already explained in posts above. That will keep your broadcom-wl stuff up-to-date.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01) could not connect to service

    I remember it.Though I hate Windows XP and IE,I still have to use them for some reason.Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g
    By thaubein in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th January 2010, 06:40 AM
  2. Anyone gotten BCM4312 to work on F11?
    By chadikins in forum Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14th April 2009, 06:22 PM
  3. F10 wifi driver installed but cannot connect (BCM4312)
    By zantoburgo in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11th January 2009, 09:40 PM
  4. Broadcom BCM4312 and FC 9
    By CelticBlues in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21st June 2008, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th March 2005, 01:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •