FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 11 PPC/Can't surf Web

    I downloaded Fedora 11 PPC and finally got it installed but for some reason I can't surf the web. Can someone tell me what settings to change?

    I have Fedora 11 User Guide.pdf and I tried what it says about DHCP but that didn't work. I got all the updates. My modem and router are working fine. I use AT&T and they said my line is fine. I have other G4s online and they're fine also.

    I've tried reinstalling Fedora 11 PPC 4 times already thinking I did something wrong but to no avail. Fedora 11 PPC has Firefox browser in it. When I open the browser it opens a Fedora page but it won't let me go anywhere else. It says problem loading page. I've accessed my modem (IP addy) and it says I'm online. If installer can get online during install why can't I get online to surf the web? I think its most likely a setting or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. =-]

    I'm using a G4 dual 500 at the moment

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the IPv6 thing in Firefox. It goes like this...
    1. Start Firefox.
    2. Enter about:config in the URL navigation text box.
    3. Agree to the somewhat humorous warning.
    4. Scroll down to network.dns.disableIPv6.
    5. Right-click on that line and toggle it to "true".
    6. Try Firefox again.
    Anyway, it won't hurt to try.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES!!! It worked! Thank you stoat. =-]

    In Mac OS X I never had to do anything to get online accept open my browser with DHCP. I'm new to Linux. I just wanted to see what all the rave is about Linux. To tell you the truth, the problems I've had to go through just to get it installed and finally working I can't say it's been worth it. It's actually pretty slow on my G4 dual 500 so I'm going to put the drive into my 1.25 mirrored doors and see how it goes.

    Thanks again stoat
    Last edited by lilwoolie; 3rd November 2009 at 12:11 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can not

    Hi there I am using fedora 11 64 and I have cdma internet connection which shows connected but web pages not opening. I have tried using ip s of web sites it works but the DNS names return error loading.

    I have tried ethernet which is working fine

    Please help

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciferDevil

    I have tried using ip s of web sites it works but the DNS names return error loading.
    For that, try entering some DNS nameserver IP addresses (from either your ISP or OpenDNS) in the NetworkManager panel applet.

Similar Threads

  1. i can ping but i can not surf
    By ALonon in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 3rd August 2008, 09:16 PM
  2. Does anybody still just surf?
    By techmatt in forum Wibble
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 14th November 2006, 04:11 PM
  3. Surf Anonymous
    By Berticus in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th October 2005, 08:21 PM
  4. cant surf the net: rp-pppoe help
    By kvorion in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th August 2005, 07:18 PM
  5. can't surf on bytes per second
    By cindym003 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th August 2004, 08:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •