FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 13 No Sound

    Hi,
    Just installed fedora 13. Everything is great except for the total lack of sound.

    I'm trying to use the onboard audio. motherboard is asus M4A89TD

    In alsamixer all of my devices are turned on to max.

    Code:
    $ lspci | grep Audio
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
    05:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio
    Code:
    $ lsmod 
    Module                  Size  Used by
    tcp_lp                  2055  0 
    fuse                   54749  4 
    ipt_MASQUERADE          2208  1 
    iptable_nat             5420  1 
    nf_nat                 19059  2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
    bridge                 45753  0 
    stp                     1887  1 bridge
    llc                     4557  2 bridge,stp
    sunrpc                192013  1 
    cpufreq_ondemand        8420  4 
    powernow_k8            14521  1 
    freq_table              3851  2 cpufreq_ondemand,powernow_k8
    xt_physdev              1643  1 
    ip6t_REJECT             4055  2 
    nf_conntrack_ipv6      17513  2 
    ip6table_filter         2743  1 
    ip6_tables             16558  1 ip6table_filter
    ipv6                  267033  36 ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
    kvm_amd                33038  0 
    kvm                   252952  1 kvm_amd
    uinput                  7230  0 
    snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2591  1 
    snd_hda_codec_realtek   284543  1 
    snd_hda_intel          24168  1 
    snd_hda_codec          73671  3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hwdep               6222  1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_seq                50941  0 
    snd_seq_device          5895  1 snd_seq
    snd_pcm                76131  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    asus_atk0110           14236  0 
    microcode              17930  0 
    joydev                  9439  0 
    k10temp                 3223  0 
    serio_raw               4539  0 
    edac_core              37487  0 
    snd_timer              19234  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    edac_mce_amd            7767  0 
    snd                    60573  10 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    i2c_piix4              11822  0 
    soundcore               6198  1 snd
    snd_page_alloc          7221  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    r8169                  33027  0 
    mii                     4142  1 r8169
    ata_generic             3323  0 
    pata_acpi               3251  0 
    pata_atiixp             3857  0 
    pata_jmicron            2571  0 
    firewire_ohci          20136  0 
    firewire_core          42377  1 firewire_ohci
    crc_itu_t               1523  1 firewire_core
    radeon                589438  2 
    ttm                    53215  1 radeon
    drm_kms_helper         23936  1 radeon
    drm                   169073  4 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    i2c_algo_bit            4781  1 radeon
    i2c_core               24507  5 i2c_piix4,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
    when I open pavucontrol, under output devices it lists 'HDA ATI HDMI Digital Stereo (HDMI)' and 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo'. I think the correct device needs to be the the ATI SB one, but is missing from the list. Any ideas?
    system specs:
    Asus M4A89TD Pro, Athlon X4 630, ATI 4850, F13.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    Hi

    I faced the same issue after upgrading to Fedora 13 from 12 on a similar motherboad. This may not be the solution you are looking for but I was able to get my sound working by booting with Fedora 12 kernel.

    Looks like the issue is with 2.6.33 kernel comes with fedora 13.

    Cheers,
    S

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    The card seems to use the snd_hda_intel-driver so maybe you'll have to specify which card you got. See this thread:http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=242413 and this wikipage:http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenr...nd-workarounds
    Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    -- Homer Simpson

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    In sound preferrences(right click on the speaker icon) in the tab "hardware" there is a test speakers now.

    Things to look:

    alsamixer (see if masster is unmuted)
    alsamixer -c 0 or
    alsamixer -Dhw (make sure Master and PCM are unmuted)

    pactl list (see if everything is unmuted and connected to the right places better to see the connections with pavucontrol)

    A GUI to all those things that get hidden is gmixer.

    ---------- Post added at 05:44 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM CDT ----------

    In pavucontrol make sure that the playing streams in the playing tab are using the same output name in the output tab

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    Well this is embarrassing,
    After spending another couple of hours fiddling around with
    every sound related app I could find, I managed to fix it.
    Kmix -> settings -> select master channel -> internal audio analog.
    thank all for your help.

    A second issue with the sound is that is it very quiet. I turned all the knobs to 100% and the audio level (system sounds) are still faint. I think this might actually be an issue with this motherboard because I have the same problem when booting into windows. Anyone with this modo experienced this?
    system specs:
    Asus M4A89TD Pro, Athlon X4 630, ATI 4850, F13.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    the 'internal audio' is indeed what you want. The other one is for use if you're connecting a display via HDMI and also want to send audio via the HDMI link.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    I had the same problem with no sound in fedora 13.

    Here was my solution.

    run alsamixer.

    hit the F6 key.

    choose your sound card (in my case it was Intel HDA).


    I hope this helps someone else - this thread comes up when you google "no sound in fedora 13".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    What kernel is failing? I had the same problem couldn't figure out what was wrong every setting was at 100% but still the sound was only in headphones and very very low. It looks like 2.6.33 has some issues installing 2.6.34 has cleared that fault.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    Hi there.

    Sorry for bad English... And also I'm pretty new to Linux...
    I've just installed Fedora 13 and have an issue - there is no sound when I plug acoustic system or headphones to my laptop (sound through laptop's speaker works well). Configuring sound preferences does nothing, using alsamixer I see Headphones section disabled Did anybody face with the same problem? If any details are needed I can provide them.

    p.s. Previously I used Fedora 12 and there were no such problems with sound

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    dead: that's a driver bug with your chip, most likely. Can you please follow the steps at:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...sound_problems


    ? Thanks!
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    I had the same problem today, my "Internal Audio" was gone.

    My Solution was:
    In Startup Applications I found two PulseAudio System.

    Their name is:
    start-pulseaudio-x11 (Gnome)
    start-pulseaudio-kde (KDE)

    Since I'm using Fedora 13, 32-bit, Gnome, I just unmarked start-pulseaudio-kde and rebooted my computer.
    My sound is back.

    How to find it:
    Click on Your Name in the upper right corner
    System Preferences
    Startup Applications
    Unmark the version of PulseAudio you dont use
    Reboot the computer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    Also folks, look at SPDIF setting in your alsamixer configuration

    code:

    1. alsamixer -c 0
    2. press F6
    3. choose your card
    4. ran any song / music in a player
    5. press -->> until you find SP_DF setting
    6. press 'm' key

    NOW it goes!

    7.save setting (though not always working : (( )
    alsactl store

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    in your heart
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    me too the prblm
    ASUS M3N78-EM, AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core 9650+, 6GB DDR2 RAM, 160GB x 2 RAID0 HDD, Nvidia Geforce8300 Hybrid SLI
    Run @ Fedora12 x86_64,& Windows7 Ultimate x64

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    (Akmods-nvidia @ rpmfusion)


    R.Mathan MCA, MCITP, MCTS

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    I had this problem on a Panasonic Let's note CF-Y7 dual boot system running Fedora 13 and x86_64 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. The problem occurs when exiting Windos with the sound muted and then booting into Linux. There appears to be no way to unmute the system in Linux. However, if you return to Windows, unmute the sound and reboot into Linux, everything is fine. I guess this is a hardware specific problem.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Re: Fedora 13 No Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by gamlebaron
    I had the same problem today, my "Internal Audio" was gone.

    My Solution was:
    In Startup Applications I found two PulseAudio System.

    Their name is:
    start-pulseaudio-x11 (Gnome)
    start-pulseaudio-kde (KDE)

    Since I'm using Fedora 13, 32-bit, Gnome, I just unmarked start-pulseaudio-kde and rebooted my computer.
    My sound is back.

    How to find it:
    Click on Your Name in the upper right corner
    System Preferences
    Startup Applications
    Unmark the version of PulseAudio you dont use
    Reboot the computer.
    Hi all. Totally new to fedora. Been an ubuntu user for a year and half now. well I had same problem and above qouted solution worked perfect for me. Thanks a million gamlebaron. you are great man, at least I think

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 11- Sound fails, but when I run the test. it works -microsoft sound system 80
    By dericbytes in forum Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st April 2009, 04:48 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 12:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •