FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gatwick, United Kingdom
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    yum & Thunderbird broken after update - FC11

    After yesterday's update yum is not working under Yumex or terminal also Thunderbird is not connecting to gmail IMAP.

    This is the error from yumex:
    Code:
    22:12:08 : Yum Config Setup
    22:12:09 : Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
    22:12:09 : Setup signed metadata support
    22:12:09 : Yum Version : 3.2.23
    22:12:09 : GUI Setup Completed
    22:12:09 : Setup Yum : Transaction Set
    22:12:12 : Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    This is from the yum using terminal:
    Code:
    [root@mylinux ~]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
    http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again
    
    
    [root@mylinux ~]# yum install netcat
    Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    [root@mylinux ~]#
    Can anyone suggest what I can do?

    Thanks,

    Blown CPU
    Last edited by BlownCPU; 19th June 2009 at 10:29 PM.
    .......and so the factory packed smoke had escaped !!
    System: FC11 64bit, Asus P43 Pro, Intel E7400, 4G RAM, 30GB SSD drive with OS installed on it, 320GB HDD for storage, GeForce 9500GT, Broadcom Wifi NIC.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In your closet
    Posts
    16,564
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Thunderbird isn't connecting along with the yum errors I wonder if the problem is not with yum or Thunderbird but your network configuration. Apparently you can use your web browser without issue? A few people have had yum issues that have been solved by editing DNS entries. Not something I know a lot about but I wanted to mention it. If DNS is the issue maybe that would affect T-Bird too?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gatwick, United Kingdom
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing has changed in the DNS entries it still is 192.168.1.1 which is my router.
    I have tried to put in a entry of 62.44.23.140 but it always reverts back to 192.168.1.1 probably something that Network Manager is doing so I don't know why this is happening. It would be nice to change the DNS entry in resov.conf and see if it makes a difference.

    Who can I make the change permanent in resolv.conf?

    I still blame it onto FC11 issue as everything was working fine before the update.

    Blown CPU
    .......and so the factory packed smoke had escaped !!
    System: FC11 64bit, Asus P43 Pro, Intel E7400, 4G RAM, 30GB SSD drive with OS installed on it, 320GB HDD for storage, GeForce 9500GT, Broadcom Wifi NIC.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am having a problem with yum, and the updater. I do not use TBird so I dont know if it is also having a problem. Here is my error when attempting a yum update via the terminal

    Code:
    root@localhost]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, refresh-packagekit
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://poptop.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/mirrorlist-poptop-stable-fc11 error was
    [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: poptop-stable. Please verify its path and try again
    When I attempt to refresh the package list through add/remove software and yumex I am receiving a similar error. This has been happening for a week now

    When the package updater attempts to load I receive a larger error
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py", line 2059, in get_distro_upgrades
        pkgs = self.yumbase.pkgSack.returnNewestByName(name='preupgrade')
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 646, in <lambda>
        pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 488, in _getSacks
        self.repos.populateSack(which=repos)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 260, in populateSack
        sack.populate(repo, mdtype, callback, cacheonly)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 162, in populate
        if self._check_db_version(repo, mydbtype):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 220, in _check_db_version
        return repo._check_db_version(mdtype)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1174, in _check_db_version
        repoXML = self.repoXML
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1337, in <lambda>
        repoXML = property(fget=lambda self: self._getRepoXML(),
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 1333, in _getRepoXML
        raise Errors.RepoError, msg
    RepoError: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: poptop-stable. Please verify its path and try again
    Last edited by wvugrad00; 20th June 2009 at 11:39 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. I have both problems too.
    Didn't think they are related.

    Please keep us posted if anybody found a solution to this..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same issue here on FC10 64 bit., and it's a bit baffling:

    [root@john john]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

    Could not retrieve mirrorlist [root@john john]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...10&arch=x86_64 error was
    [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
    Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: fedora

    I can use Firefox and Opera to browse to just fine.
    In fact, I can open either browser and paste the url http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...10&arch=x86_64 into the address bar, and bam, up comes the list of mirror sites!

    I can do a dig just fine:

    dig mirrors.fedoraproject.org

    ; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P3-RedHat-9.5.1-3.P3.fc10 <<>> mirrors.fedoraproject.org
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4249
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mirrors.fedoraproject.org. IN A

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mirrors.fedoraproject.org. 3600 IN CNAME wildcard.fedoraproject.org.
    wildcard.fedoraproject.org. 58 IN A 66.35.62.166
    wildcard.fedoraproject.org. 58 IN A 80.239.156.215
    wildcard.fedoraproject.org. 58 IN A 152.46.7.222
    wildcard.fedoraproject.org. 58 IN A 209.132.176.120

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    fedoraproject.org. 27741 IN NS ns1.fedoraproject.org.
    fedoraproject.org. 27741 IN NS ns2.fedoraproject.org.

    ;; Query time: 2950 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Aug 8 20:20:56 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 166

    I can ping:

    ping mirrors.fedoraproject.org
    PING wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120): icmp_seq=1 ttl=113 time=122 ms
    64 bytes from wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120): icmp_seq=2 ttl=113 time=287 ms
    64 bytes from wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120): icmp_seq=3 ttl=113 time=247 ms
    64 bytes from wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120): icmp_seq=4 ttl=113 time=383 ms
    64 bytes from wildcard.fedoraproject.org (209.132.176.120): icmp_seq=5 ttl=113 time=528 ms
    ^C
    --- wildcard.fedoraproject.org ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 5 received, 16% packet loss, time 5003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 122.536/313.918/528.632/136.198 ms

    Heres the strange parts:

    If I fire up the links text based browser, and put the any valid address in the addresss bar, I get a host not found error.

    I get a similar error with wget:

    [root@john john]# wget http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...0\&arch=x86_64
    --2009-08-08 20:26:43-- http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mir...10&arch=x86_64
    Resolving mirrors.fedoraproject.org... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `mirrors.fedoraproject.org'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello johnandrews2332, and all, I also had the same problem with my thunderbird and it appears that this is a bug from "nss-mdns".

    And here's how to fix it.

  8. #8
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please look at the sticky in guides and solutions marked something like if ping but almost noting else works.
    (Probably only for 64 bit systems).
    --
    http://srobb.net

Similar Threads

  1. FC11 MacBook Pro , KDE suspend broken
    By charlus in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th September 2009, 08:42 AM
  2. FC11 Sound Broken, what happened?
    By cuban_cigar in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th September 2009, 10:47 PM
  3. Thunderbird does not connect to IMAP after update - FC11
    By BlownCPU in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th June 2009, 11:21 AM
  4. Link between Thunderbird and Firefox broken
    By Trevor4706 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26th December 2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Thunderbird Broken After Yum Update
    By bmt1954 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th January 2006, 08:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •