FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thunderbird 3.0b2: "Failed to Connect"

    After updating thunderbird, I can't access my mail account anymore.

    The server settings are right. Tried to access the webmail with success (thus password & login are correct) and I can ping the mail server.

    Also the DNS is there. It's correct.

    Is anybody else getting this "Failed to connect to server" problem after the update?

  2. #2
    Demz Guest
    have you tried removing TGB3 an installing TB2.0.0.xx from koji? or download the tarball an untar it http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=227646 this guy had a similar problem an installed the older one

    or is what you could do is install TH3.0 Beta4 Nightly ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbir...st-comm-1.9.1/
    Last edited by Demz; 6th August 2009 at 09:40 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Demz.

    Just installed 2.0.0.18 from the rpm and got the same problem.

    Could that be related to yum not working?

  4. #4
    Demz Guest
    can you use your web browser?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, mozilla firefox.

  6. #6
    Demz Guest
    so its just thunderbird that cant connect.. are you sure its not set to " work offline "

  7. #7
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be the nss-mdns issue. Pinging works, web browsing usually works, but nothing else does.

    It's caused by installing either wine or chromium on a 64 bit system. (probably other programs too, those are the ones that I know.)

    They only have 32 bit versions. They pull in nss-mdns, which overwrites nsswitch.conf, adding in a line about mdns.

    The fix is to comment out that line in /etc/nsswitch.conf and then, as things will once again work, do yum install nss-mdns.

    This will pull in the 64 bit nss-mdns, which will, I think, once again, overwrite nsswitch.conf. However, once you have the 64 bit version, things should work again.

    I'm just guessing that this might be the case from your description.

    If you don't have a 64 bit system, then it's unlikely to be the issue.
    --
    http://srobb.net

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Unfortunately. I wish you were right.

    I have no idea what can be causing this. I created the topic wondering if more people have this problem.

    I would try another email client if I have to, but first I need to fix my yum problem.

    If you have any other ideas let me know. Thanks Demz.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank could make sense scottro.

    This is a 64 bit system and I did upgraded wine.

    I also don't have nss-mdns 64 bit:

    [root@localhost]# rpm -qa | grep nss-mdns
    nss-mdns-0.10-7.fc11.i586
    Could you help me out which line to comment on nsswitch.conf ?
    I didn't find the line about mdns..

    Code:
    #
    # /etc/nsswitch.conf
    #
    # An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
    # sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
    #
    # The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
    # entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
    # up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
    # (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
    # next entry.
    #
    # Legal entries are:
    #
    #	nisplus or nis+		Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
    #	nis or yp		Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
    #	dns			Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
    #	files			Use the local files
    #	db			Use the local database (.db) files
    #	compat			Use NIS on compat mode
    #	hesiod			Use Hesiod for user lookups
    #	[NOTFOUND=return]	Stop searching if not found so far
    #
    
    # To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
    # looked up first in the databases
    #
    # Example:
    #passwd:    db files nisplus nis
    #shadow:    db files nisplus nis
    #group:     db files nisplus nis
    
    passwd:     files
    shadow:     files
    group:      files
    
    #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
    hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
    
    # Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
    #services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    #networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    #protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    #rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    #ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    #netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files     
    
    bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
    
    ethers:     files
    netmasks:   files
    networks:   files
    protocols:  files
    rpc:        files
    services:   files
    
    netgroup:   nisplus
    
    publickey:  nisplus
    
    automount:  files nisplus
    aliases:    files nisplus

  10. #10
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I thought it was more obvious--good thing you posted that or I would have said comment out the line with NORETURN, not realizing there were
    a bunch of them.

    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

    That's the one.
    --
    http://srobb.net

  11. #11
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this seems to be happening more and more (possibly due to many people trying chrome), so I've made a sticky.

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1250880
    --
    http://srobb.net

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!!

    Just yum working made my day. But not only that, thunderbird works, conky (weather) too..many things and I didn't realize it was all from the same problem.

    Something that I would never realize without this forum

    Thanks!

  13. #13
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Woods is the one who first discovered it (with Wine). I'm surprised it's not completely fixed yet, actually--I think the fix might be in koji, but I haven't been following the bug closely.
    --
    http://srobb.net

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 12:41 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th June 2008, 04:49 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th February 2007, 04:56 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd May 2005, 04:59 AM
  5. Can't connect to network: "eth0 failed"
    By JustinGiroux in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th May 2005, 10:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •