FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Squid Problems

    I know Fed8 is new, just trying to get some Squid up and running. Alright, well right now I have gotten Squid installed up to a certain point. On this website, http://www.geocities.com/squidrunner_dev/howto.html , I get up to doing /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -z, but once there it says that my Permission is denied. I am doing this is root to get the best out of it all... Any ideas please?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I ran into some similar issues--a different howto, but...what both have in common is that they're for squid 2.5. Fedora has squid-2.6 and things have changed a bit. Also, much of what he mentions is being done from source packages. I believe, if you install the rpm, you won't have to do anything but edit squid.conf. It's only 4,300 plus lines, so no big deal.

    Seriously, I used the rpm--used a squid-2.5 tutorial, got several errors, then realized that it was for squid 2.5

    http://www.squid-cache.org/

    has some better, and more up to date, information.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I understand about that. Foolishly enough. What I am still wondering is if I edit anything in squid.conf, what should be the main things that I do edit. I'm new to Fedora and the reason I wanted to use it is for 1) To definitely learn how to use it since I have been dying to learn how to, and 2) To be able to use a proxy, or Squid as my friend recommended. I honestly couldn't even figure out how to effectively edit this...
    visible_hostname "your hostname"

    cache_effective_user squid

    cache_effetive_group squid

    I did a search for cache_effective_user and put squid at the end, but then I realized it was a TAG and was thinking that I was wrong from there on. I knew I was obviously.

    So to basically put it, using http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/cfgman/ what should I change to make squid work basically?

    Also I installed it by going to Add/Remove Programs and I did a search for Squid. Thats how I installed it.
    Last edited by Jath; 30th November 2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Adding something

  4. #4
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, shucks, the file's only 4300 plus lines or so, what could be hard? (Actually, one of our developers, trying to help us troubleshoot something, asked me if I could cut out all the comments and send him a copy of the file with just what was defined.)

    There's many tutorials around, however, I was looking, at the time, for one on making it a reverse proxy, which is far less common. See if there's something helpful on that site I gave before. Visible host is what you want people to see. So, if the proxy is squid.jath.org but you want the user to see the error coming from another machine, you give it that name--for instance, jathweb.jath.org. Otherwise, you can leave it at the default, which will be the host name, e.g., squid.jath.org.

    Hrrm, just checked that link, sigh, typical Linux documentation, almost useless to the novice. It had a good guide for reverse proxy though.

    Try this one.

    http://www.deckle.co.za/squid-users-...uration_Basics

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright thanks a lot. I'm not that great with Linux or Fedora but I am going to try my best to learn as much as I can. : / Sucks being in 12th grade and just getting to this stuff. Would of loved if I could have been younger and learned most of this. Hah.

    Gonna check it out either tonight or tomorrow after school.

  6. #6
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh--12th grade. I didn't start playing with Linux till I was in my late 40's, and my first work with squid was this week, at the age of 53. So, you've got quite a head start on me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well really quick question too. Your using Fedora 8 for Squid correct? Just making sure. EDIT: Just as something else to add, when I install Squid, all I have to do is regularly install Fed8 as a Office and Home Productivity right? Or do I need a Webserver install on the machine at the same time? If anything, when setting Squid up, does it actually need a real website to connect to and use as a proxy? For Example me buying the domain etc? Or does it automatically allow me to use it as a proxy?

    Also I know I got a head start, I just want to be able to learn as much as I can before I die. Hah. Right now I am in FBLA, regionals are coming up soon. Failed miserably at states last year so hopefully I will win states this year around. I already took my Cisco classes at my High School, Cisco 1&2 and Cisco 3&4 and am going to be studying to get my CCNA hopefully before I graduate. I am also taking Comp Science, which is right now Java in my school, and Web Design, so obviously I am trying to take up as much as I can.

    Just a little link to my other thread. Know anything about FreeNX? http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173932
    Last edited by Jath; 30th November 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well so far its been iffy. I got it set up half way. Right now I am trying to run it but I get this error.
    Code:
    2007/12/01 01:08:36| /usr/local/squid/var/cache/swap.state: (13) Permission denied
    FATAL: storeUfsDirOpenSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    I also had to copy the swap dirs from /usr/local/var/cache/ to /squid/var/cache/ nothing created them.

  9. #9
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be much help here, as I didn't get those errors. I vaguely remember some tutorials suggesting that after installing squid, before running it, to run some other command to create a special squid swap file, but I *think* that was for an older version.

    There's probably something buried in the config file to tell you where to look for the swap dirs, or where to create them.

    Have you googled the error? That's probably the best bet, or perhaps to ask on the squid mailing lists, since I see no one's answered. A vey cursory google indicates that squid should have created those files when it started, but I didn't see a solution. (As I said, a very quick google, I have to run out, I'm afraid.)

  10. #10
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I missed the other question--I think that squid will need something to proxy, though you can, in a pinch, run it on the same machine if you're doing this for learning purposes. However, let me reiterate, I don't know squid well at all, and if no one more knowledgeable steps in, you might try their mailing lists.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I got Squid up and running from what its telling me. Right now when I try doing...
    Code:
    squidclient http://google/
    It says that I have a Connection Refused error. I am not on that machine currently but it was something like this.
    Could not connect through localhostort: Connection Refused.
    I'll get the actual message later but thats what it currently says to me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since I can't edit the post to add something, the code I entered in the previous post is told to be done by the Testing section of http://www.deckle.co.za/squid-users-...Starting_Squid.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the triple post but here is what I get from running the squidclient commamd:
    Code:
    client: ERROR: Cannot connect to localhost: PORT: Connection refused

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with Fedora/Squid/Bridge
    By kkara in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th May 2008, 05:11 PM
  2. Various server problems (VNC & Squid)
    By Pezzoni in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th September 2006, 04:10 PM
  3. squid and dansguardian - problems!
    By dazaau in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 21st February 2006, 02:35 PM
  4. Problems with squid and selinux
    By Richie in forum Security and Privacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th August 2005, 02:26 AM
  5. Squid and selinux problems
    By tstab in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th April 2005, 03:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •