FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fed8 & FreeNX

    Well, I definitely got to say. This is definitely a fun road trip that I have been taking so far. So far I have read a few threads on here saying that FreeNX isn't up to far lately and that you guys have been trying to figure it all out. I respect it. Right now I am trying to give some help to you to see if you can help me. Yes I know, selfish, it's just annoying.

    I set up FreeNX on Fed8 and tried to connect using NoMachine as told to do so. Well, going there, I have tried and I got to this point,

    Before I had gotten this it said it was connecting and all that fun stuff like it normally would. I even tried root to see if it was a administration type thing, nothing. I tried to do the NoMachine NX Server but I shouldn't of even done that so I am going to be uninstall this, unless someone else says otherwise. Could this problem I am having be with the configuration I have? Or just with the FreeNX problems Fed8 have been having?

    By the way I am trying to connect LAN right now but the connection setting is still set to ADSL. I have Cable so should it be changed to anything else?
    Last edited by Jath; 30th November 2007 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Wrong title

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping Thread. No Rush.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few notes on the NoMachine website pointing out "bugs" in the freenx implementation which breaks compatability with their latest 3.x client. I use their free-but-not-OSS nx server with no problems.

  4. #4
    drefined Guest
    did you make sure you can ssh in first? if you can then generate the key..

    /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --keygen

    then

    vi /usr/NX/share/keys/(some default key name).key

    copy the private key and use it to configure the windows client. hopefully that helps!

  5. #5
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the freenx server or the nomachine nxserver. If using the freenx server, as is far too common, the documentation is all wrong, and no one has bothered to update it. As the developer is the one giving the solutions in the mailing list thread, perhaps they'll fix the docs soon.


    http://www.nabble.com/Fedora-8-worki...-t4806795.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you make sure you can ssh in first? if you can then generate the key..

    /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --keygen

    then

    vi /usr/NX/share/keys/(some default key name).key

    copy the private key and use it to configure the windows client. hopefully that helps!
    Well 1 I don't know how to test is SSH works, nor do I know how to edit it. I can't find any tutorials on that either. Plus my nxserver folder is in /etc/ so its /etc/nxserver/, plus I already have a .key file called clientid_dsa.key which I use to get the key. Right now I actually tried and I got a new error...
    HTML Code:
    ssh: connect to host Erased port Erased: Connection refused
    Could this have anything to do with the port(not listed here) or something like that? Cause I know I forwarded the port through my router and also changed it in a SSH.conf file(I think I did, I followed someone elses email thing and it failed me miseably. I now don't know how to even get back to that file.)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated too. Especially on how to configure SSH and testing it. I tried to connect with putty and I just get a Connection Refused message again.

  7. #7
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point, I'd try with the nomachine free version of the server. First, you should probably uninstall freenx and nx, also remove the nx user. As for the rest of it, I put my little guide up at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhnx.html

    It's not a good guide, but it might get you running with an NX server, (though not FreeNX.) I couldn't get FreeNX to work and was already so ticked at the incorrect and missing docs that I gave up and went to the nomachine site.

    The disadvantage of the nomachine version is that it only allows two concurrent connections.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the whole thing is I most likely did the nxserver wrong anyways. What about this nx user? If I had to make a nx user where the heck would I of found out about this because I have no documentation really on how to do all this. The guide I've been going off of is http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/ and this is definitely quiet old.

  9. #9
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nx user is automatically created. That old guide, as I think I've said, is practically useless, as it leaves out several important steps. If you have a real need for freenx then check out the thread on their mailing list to which I linked above, otherwise, use the nomachine free version.

    However, I would recommend that you first remove freenx and nx. Then, do a userdel nx. Lastly, I'd remove the /usr/libexec/nx directory as well as a /usr/NX directory if it exists. (At this point, I don't remember if freenx created that second one or not, but the nomachines version will create it.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did as you said, even in the guide you gave me, and I still get a Connection Refused, which just drives me nuts. lol Since I got denied with that I tried to install the vnc-server through Add/Remove Software under Apps. and every time I click on apply it keeps saying for me to insert the Fedora 8(disk 1) disk, even though it definitely is in the drive. I see it on the desktop too so I know its there. Because it kept coming up with this, I downloaded the VNC linux rpm from here, http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi but it doesn't give me the server portion of it. Since I can't install it I don't know what to do currently. If all I had to do is install it from http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi then how do I open VNC?

  11. #11
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You followed my guide? You disabled iptables and logged in with a name that is a user name on the Linux box, with that password?

    As for VNC, you might try tightvnc, it has various binaries. Also, assuming the Linux box has an Internet connection, you can always do yum install vncserver.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poop I didn't see the "disable IP tables". And I also don't know how to disable them, so mind shedding light please? On how to disable the IP tables and the SELinux?

    Thanks once again.

  13. #13
    scottro's Avatar
    scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm going to make that tutorial more newcomer friendly later this week. I wrote it while aggravated about the lack of docs for freenx.

    To disable iptables

    /etc/init.d/iptables stop

    To disable selinux
    setenforce 0

    Let me know what else isn't clear. I usually make an effort to make my tutorials very newcomer friendly but again, I wrote that one while in a bad mood. Not that I was taking it out on newcomers, just that it made me less conscious of avoiding mental shortcuts, which I find far too common in Linux docs. As a friend once wrote,

    With cryptic tutorials on the net with phrases like "enable SMTP AUTH for
    Postfix", as if that is supposed to be a self standing instruction, this is
    beyond both my ability and the scope of my endeavors.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did as you said and so far I have this problem:

    I forwarded the ports I wanted to use with SSH/SSHD through my router and through the firewall on the Fedora 8 computer, which is sitting right next to me. But so that I didn't have to keep switching my darn monitor everytime theres a new solution I wanted to get either or running, so I tried VNC. Well VNC also gives me this error:

    And since VNC defaultly listens on ports 5900-5903(or 5901-5903) I forwarded them through my router and firewall on the Fedora 8 box. While trying to connect to the Fed8 box, I use the VNC Viewer obviously and I enter the IP 192.168.1.(box ip):5900. Well obviously I get the error above.

    Thanks once again again.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I am having problems all the time. I was also trying to do something else for it, trying to VNC View my Windows Desktop to be able to work on this problem from school, but now VNC Viewer is acting like I only want to try connecting to my Fed8 box. Now I am just about getting this all the time:

    Does anyone know why that I ALWAYS get this error going to my Fed8 box, even with NoMachine, with the picture I stated above with NX.

    Thanks a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. upgrade to Fed8
    By doubleA in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th November 2008, 05:53 AM
  2. Fed8 64 on a Thinkpad T61 - tips?
    By icantux in forum Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th March 2008, 01:31 AM
  3. No Sound in Fed8
    By jeexer in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th February 2008, 05:18 PM
  4. Fed8 vs torrents and emule
    By ed_gein in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th January 2008, 09:11 AM
  5. Speed of Fed8
    By Jath in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st December 2007, 08:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •