FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Yum repomd.xml problem

    Hello,

    I have just upgraded one of my computers from F10 to F11 and I have a slight problem with yum in that yum update give mes the following message:
    Code:
    Loaded plugins: priorities, refresh-packagekit
    http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error [Errno 2] No such file or directory>
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    I have had a look on Google and the forum for solutions but none have worked so far.

    My fedora.repo file looks like
    Code:
    [fedora]
    name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
    #mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=1
    metadata_expire=7d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
    
    [fedora-debuginfo]
    name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
    #mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=0
    metadata_expire=7d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
    
    [fedora-source]
    name=Fedora $releasever - Source
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
    #mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=0
    metadata_expire=7d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
    and my /etc/hosts looks like
    Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost.localdomain	localhost	
    80.239.156.215	mirrors.fedoraproject.org
    213.129.242.84  mirrors.rpmfusion.org
    Thanks in advance!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My /etc/hosts from a fresh F11 install looks like this:

    # cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

    Maybe you could try and temporarily remove your entries and see if that works.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Thanks for your response. The reason that my /etc/hosts looks like that is that I edited it as suggested at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=223472 - I have just tried removing those lines and it makes no difference

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your fedora.repo file you commented out the mirrorlist entry, which points to mirrors.fedoraproject.org. So if your problem is related to an issue with DNS like in the post you are referring to, then how could that work with the changed /etc/hosts file (this points to mirrors.fedoraproject.org).
    So if you are facing DNS problems and need the changes in /etc/hosts I would then try to uncomment the mirrorlist in the fedora.repo file. You probably have to place comments before the bareurl entries.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am experiencing the same problem with yum and the XML
    I have also posted my information in this thread
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=224374

    This cropped up earlier in the week for no reason, I did not make any changes to any of my config files

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Great Inland Northwest
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wvugrad00
    I am experiencing the same problem with yum and the XML
    I have also posted my information in this thread
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=224374

    This cropped up earlier in the week for no reason, I did not make any changes to any of my config files
    Just exactly what is "the XML"? What is meant by "the XML"?
    Last edited by sdlor; 20th June 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: punctuation..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSchwangler
    In your fedora.repo file you commented out the mirrorlist entry, which points to mirrors.fedoraproject.org. So if your problem is related to an issue with DNS like in the post you are referring to, then how could that work with the changed /etc/hosts file (this points to mirrors.fedoraproject.org).
    So if you are facing DNS problems and need the changes in /etc/hosts I would then try to uncomment the mirrorlist in the fedora.repo file. You probably have to place comments before the bareurl entries.
    This is true - the reason for it is that this article suggests that will fix the problem. When I do uncomment and recomment as you suggest I get the errors described in the aforementioned article

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlor
    Just exactly what is "the XML"? What is meant by "the XML"?
    I think he is referring to the repomd.xml file which yum cannot download for the Fedora repository

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlor
    Just exactly what is "the XML"? What is meant by "the XML"?
    Sorry for the confusion, here is the xml error that is being returned from yumex, and when attempting to download the latest repository
    Code:
    root@localhost]# yum check-update
    Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, refresh-packagekit
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://poptop.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/mirrorlist-poptop-stable-fc11 error was
    [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: poptop-stable. Please verify its path and try again

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOLVED: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=186080 - follow instructions on last post

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried your solution, but I am unable to locate the file /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew to copy to /etc/nsswitch.conf

    I did find something else about configuring the fedora.repo file, and make sure the baseurl is correct. I added
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/
    as the baseurl, and commented out the mirror list, and left the original baseurl commented out.
    Now I am receiving this error when attempting a yum update

    Code:
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://poptop.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/mirrorlist-poptop-stable-fc11 error was
    [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: poptop-stable. Please verify its path and try again
    When I attempt to go to that web-page sure enough within the /yum/stable directory the mirror list for fc11 does not exist, but all other releases of fedora exist. Is there something else I should configure?

    I apologize for hijacking the thread, if people would like I can create a new thread on this matter since the original issue has been resolved

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mir space station
    Age
    48
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I do not have a proxy set up on my system. I have emailed myself the fedora.repo from my fedora 10 box here at work. I will copy over that information to the fedora 11 box at home if it is any different and see what happens

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th April 2009, 07:57 AM
  2. pidgin install problem with repomd.xml
    By Xevarion in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th February 2008, 06:30 AM
  3. Yum problem - cannot open/read repomd.xml
    By Zef_ in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th September 2007, 10:23 AM
  4. FC5 yum problem (cannot open/read repomd.xml)
    By LloydM in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th May 2006, 02:46 AM
  5. repomd.xml problem
    By fpoole in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd March 2006, 02:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •