Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > F23 Development Forum
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

F23 Development Forum F23 Development Forum Pretty much exactly what it sounds like it is. This is the place to discuss and assist in the community development of F23. WARNING: Any pre-release versions, Beta included, are for experienced testers only. Back up all existing data and read all threads in the version Development Forum before attempting an install. Errors can and will likely occur which may include data destruction or inability to boot other partitions on any and possibly all attached hard drives. While FedoraProject needs and appreciates testers, you must remember to report issues directly to Bugzilla, after checking for pre-existing bugs.

Old 25th September 2015, 09:44 AM
philippe972 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 23 beta and virtualbox guest additions

Hi,
I have installed last Fedora 23 beta as guest in virtualbox.

I have also installed the following packages : gcc make dkms kernel-devel kernel-headers but the guest additions install always fails. (there is no error message but the installation suddenly stop)

Thanks for any ideas !
Old 25th September 2015, 10:24 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 23 beta and virtualbox guest additions

same issue here. I updated Fedora to get the latest kernel files so they matched and restarted, then installed the requirements. It appeared to work and then stalled with no error message at the end of the processes run.
Old 25th September 2015, 04:30 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Downgrade dnf from version 1.2 and redo updates. You will not see dnf 1.2 in the update list. I did that and received 200+ updates, mainly for Gnome 3.18.

I suspect that beta-RC2 was delayed until the Gnome 3.18 stuff was integrated and tested. So, I am guessing that by mid-week coming, there will be a beta-RC2 out.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 27th September 2015, 02:58 PM
loukingjr Offline

macosfirefox

Same issue. Can't install the guest additions. Lots of disk activity that never ends.
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:24 PM
tstate Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Same problem here. But I found out that the VM was running out of memory. Doubling the amount from 2GB to 4GB solved this issue. The installer runs now through to the end.
Sadly the resolution still stands at 1024x768. There is still something wrong
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:27 PM
loukingjr Offline

macosfirefox

The problem turns out to be the pre-release X.org server in Fedora 23 which VirtualBox doesn't support yet.
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:24 PM
JoshuaA Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

You can install/downgrade xorg-x11 to 1.17.2-2 packages from TC2.

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/...os/Packages/x/

I had to link the xorg driver manually :

ln -s /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_117.so /lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so

It works for me and allows enough desktop resolution to use it such as it is.
Old 6th October 2015, 11:45 AM
tstate Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the tip.
I downgraded x11 with:
dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
reinstalled the GA and now everything is fine
Hopefully the next version of the GA will arrive soon.
Old 8th October 2015, 08:47 PM
philippe972 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks a lot tstate.

I follow your method and it works fine.
Old 10th October 2015, 05:02 PM
sumitbhardwaj Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I got fed up of using Virtual Box with Fedora Pre-Release versions as Fedora always packs latest X.org server in these versions and VirtualBox always lags behind. I am now using a QEMU image managed via Virtual Machine Manager tool (Boxes is too simplistic for my needs) and at least I get full screen video with decent performance. I don't want to downgrade packages....I test it as it is packaged by Fedora team.
Lenovo Thinkpad X240: Intel Core i7 4600U 4th Gen 2.1-3.2 ghz, 8 GB DDR3 PC-12800 RAM, 1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Intel HD4400 Graphics, Intel Wireless 7260+Bluetooth, Intel I218-LM Ethernet, Intel HD Audio.
Primary OS: Fedora 25 Workstation x86_64
Secondary OS: Windows 10 Pro x86_64

Tags
additions, beta, fedora, guest, virtualbox