Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 8th December 2014, 10:56 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
How To: Update to 'Fresh' LibreOffice after Fedora's packages become 'Still'

At present if you want to install LibreOffice from the Fedora repositories you are restricted to the 4.2 branch due to package requirements in the versions maintained by the package developers. So if you would prefer Fresh Stable please read on.

It is fairly simple to upgrade to a newer version direct from The Document Foundation but please read disclaimer before proceeding.

Disclaimer - Once you have installed packages from outside the Fedora repositories you will be responsible for applying any further updates. Also, you are responsible for supporting the installed packages yourself. If there are any bugs, then check and report to The Document Foundation and not Fedora Project.

The following will guide you through removing the old version and installing the new packages.

1. Open yumex. Click on 'Options' and make sure 'Clean Unused Requirements' is ticked.
2. Type in libreoffice in the packages search bar and press enter/return.
3. tick the box next to 'libreoffice' in the list of packages generated and it will turn into a cross.
4. Click Apply. You will be presented with a list of packages to be removed. Nothing will be taken that will break any other packages so go ahead and commit the changes by clicking OK after viewing the transaction result information.
5. The packages will be removed. After this close yumex.
6. Download the new build rpm archives from https://www.libreoffice.org/
You will be able to choose a language and help pack suited to your location and language preferences.
7. Once downloaded, extract the packages using Engrampa.
8. Open a terminal window and change to the location you extracted the installation files to.
9. The first package to install is the main suite. So change to that directory e.g. LibreOffice_4.3.4.1_Linux_x86_rpm

Inside which you need to open the RPMS directory.

Issue the command su -c 'yum install *.rpm', type in your root password and the applications will be installed. There should be entries in your start menu Office category after this stage if all went well because all the desktop integration files are in the same folder now as everything else to install. If you don't need language and help packs you are finished. NB - For Fedora 22 onwards issue the following command instead su -c 'dnf install *.rpm

10. Next if you need it is the language pack. So go back to the Download folder and then open the RPMS folder inside the extracted language pack. Use the same command to install su -c 'yum install *.rpm'. NB - For Fedora 22 onwards issue the following command instead su -c 'dnf install *.rpm

11. Repeat step 10 with the downloaded help pack files. If you try installing the help files before the language pack. It will fail dependency checks.

Last edited by antikythera; 11th September 2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: dnf command information added
Old 12th December 2014, 12:09 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: How To: Install LibreOffice 4.3.4.1 onwards on F20 MATE-Compiz

The last update to 4.2 branch has just been released.

Quote:
The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 4.2.8

Berlin, December 12, 2014 - The Document Foundation announces
LibreOffice 4.2.8 "Still", the eight - and definitely the last - minor
release of the most solid version of the software, ready for enterprise
deployments and conservative users.

LibreOffice 4.2.8 solves a Calc sort problem and includes several fixes
for the RTF import filter. Change logs with a complete list of all the
fixes are available on the wiki:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/4.2.8/RC1 (fixed in RC1)
and https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/4.2.8/RC2 (fixed in RC2).

LibreOffice 4.2.8 is available from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/.

LibreOffice users, free software advocates and community members can
support The Document Foundation with a donation at
http://donate.libreoffice.org. Money is used to grow the project both at
global and local level.

-- Italo Vignoli - Media Officer italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795 sip italo@libreoffice.org - skype italovignoli The Document Foundation Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, Germany Rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal Details: www.documentfoundation.org/imprint

Last edited by antikythera; 18th December 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 18th December 2014, 03:49 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: How To: Install LibreOffice 4.3.4.1 onwards on F20 MATE-Compiz

An early Christmas present from LibreOffice.

Quote:
Berlin, December 18, 2014 - The Document Foundation announces
LibreOffice 4.3.5, the fifth minor release of LibreOffice 4.3 "fresh"
family, which is a stable release of the more advanced version of the
software, targeted to individual and enterprise users. LibreOffice 4.3.5
contains over 70 bug fixes.

The Document Foundation suggests to deploy LibreOffice 4.3.5 in
enterprises and large organizations when backed by professional support
by certified individuals (a list is available at
http://www.documentfoundation.org/certification/) capable of providing
value added support.

People interested in technical details can find change logs for
LibreOffice 4.3.5 here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/4.3.5/RC1 (fixed in RC1)
and https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/4.3.5/RC2 (fixed in RC2).

Download LibreOffice

LibreOffice 4.3.5 "Fresh" and LibreOffice 4.2.8 "Still" are immediately
available for download from the following link:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/.

LibreOffice users, free software advocates and community members can
support The Document Foundation with a donation at
http://donate.libreoffice.org.

Short link to The Document Foundation blog: http://wp.me/p1byPE-w8.

-- Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation mob IT +39.348.5653829 - mob EU +39.392.7481795 sip italo@libreoffice.org - skype italovignoli hangout / jabber italo.vignoli@gmail.com email italo@documentfoundation.org GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0 DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0
Old 11th September 2015, 02:12 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
How To: Update to 'Fresh' LibreOffice after Fedora's packages become 'Still'

Instructions in first post updated to reflect change to dnf as default package manager in F22 onwards
Old 11th September 2015, 04:29 PM
upnort Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How To: Update to 'Fresh' LibreOffice after Fedora's packages become 'Still'

Quote:
due to package requirements in the versions maintained by the package developers
Where are these requirements specified?

For all of the leading edge technology Fedora tends to offer, I am surprised LO is allowed to lag woefully behind the latest release.
Old 11th September 2015, 04:51 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: How To: Update to 'Fresh' LibreOffice after Fedora's packages become 'Still'

Feel free to try asking them again. That was the response I got when I enquired why LO was dealt with the way it currently is. Highly insightful isn't it
Old 11th September 2015, 04:58 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

As far as I know, all LibreOffice 5.x updates are back ported to LibreOffice 4.x. Is there really a need for 5.2? On about 1# month, or so, Fedora23 will be released. Can you wait?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 11th September 2015, 05:21 PM
upnort Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Highly insightful isn't it
Oh, okay. My ball, my rules, with enough bullies, my playground too.

Quote:
On about 1# month, or so, Fedora23 will be released.
I haven't even finished squashing bugs and usability issues in F22. I need to think hard about using Fedora. Way too much time involved.

Quote:
Can you wait?
Not a question of waiting. I think more a question of public relations. Most non technical users could care less about the latest version. I think Fedora users do care about the latest version. There are a handful of marquee apps that most Linux people use to one degree or another. LO is such an app. I can reboot to LMDE if I want to use old versions of software.
Old 5th December 2015, 04:00 AM
upnort Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

arehtykitna -- Once I start maintaining LO in this manner, do I need to first uninstall the previous version? Or just run 'dnf install *.rpm' each time?
Old 5th December 2015, 09:48 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I personally uninstall them using yumex gui which takes minimal time and effort. It doesn't remove user data and prevents stability issues from conflicting potential left overs.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:05 PM
upnort Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I personally uninstall them using yumex gui which takes minimal time and effort. It doesn't remove user data and prevents stability issues from conflicting potential left overs.
Okay.

I want to automate the process as much as possible. Running 'dnf install *.rpm' is straightforward because the list of files is in a single directory. Running 'dnf remove' is not so straightforward.
Old 5th September 2016, 12:02 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I just followed this guide to update to the TDF builds of LO 5.2.0. I had been having problems with the Fedora build of Libre Office 5.1.5.2 causing lockups whenever I tried to drag cells and/or to change text characteristics like bolding.

See thread here: http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...d.php?t=311281
See bugzilla here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1371306

I did it all from the console, without GUI tools because I'm not familiar with the tools referenced above.

1. dnf remove libreoffice*
2. download the tarballs as described above. there are only 2 tarballs to download, as the language pack was auto-detected for me and it's .rpm was included in the main tarball. I also installed the help system.
3. extract the files from the tarballs
4. manually install the rpm as described above.

Now I'm using LO version 5.2.0.4 on F24 and I don't have the lockup problems anymore.

thanks.
Old 5th September 2016, 12:18 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I suppose that FEDORA 25 ALPHA/rAWHIDE/TESTING repositories have 5,2 available, The advantage of taking a repository version is that it will be available / ready for F25, when Fedora is upgraded this year.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 5th September 2016, 04:25 AM
bob p Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

> I suppose that FEDORA 25 ALPHA/rAWHIDE/TESTING repositories have 5,2 available,

your supposition is correct. 5.2 is available in F25-A2 and it doesn't cause problems for me in the gnome environment. But I don't work in the gnome environment and i won't be able to test it in the KDE environment until F25 is actually released and the spins become available.

in the interim, I'm stuck with a POS 5.1 build in F24 where the application locks up every time I try to use the spreadsheet. I need something that is stable so that I can get work done TODAY. I can't wait for F25 to come out, and I sure can't wait for the developer who's responsible for 5.1 on F24 to stop denying that there is a problem with their Fedora builds.

> As far as I know, all LibreOffice 5.x updates are back ported to LibreOffice 4.x. Is there really a need for 5.2? On about 1# month, or so, Fedora23 will be released. Can you wait?

In September of 2015 your recommendation was to wait for F23 to be released.

> The advantage of taking a repository version is that it will be available / ready for F25, when Fedora is upgraded this year.

In September of 2016 your recommendation is to wait for F25 to be released.

While I appreciate your consistency, this thread seems to appeal to people who can not wait. I'm one of them. I need something that works today.
Old 5th September 2016, 10:51 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

the thread is also meant for people who do not want to upgrade to the latest Fedora release straight away.

additionally not all new features and improvements can be backported to previous versions of LibreOffice.

Tags
f20 , install , libreoffice , matecompiz , onwards