<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] dracut Warning no root device found after F16 install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dracut Warning no root device found after F16 install

Hi. I installed F16 with the live cd. had to use acpi=off to get the cd to load and also to get the hard drive to (almost) bootup. It stops before completing the fresh install boot with the message: dracut Warning No root device "block:/dev/sda5" found
    i have ubuntu on sda3 and xp on sda1 and sda2. used to have F15 on sda5.
    chose the option to install boot loader in first sector so it would continue to use ubuntu boot loader.
    have been reading posts, but haven't found anyone installing F16 with similar problem.
    thanks for any help.
    looking at /dev there is no sda5. there is a sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, and sde1 thru sde7 and sg0 thru sg6.
    do you think i need to change the boot command to use sde5 instead of sda5 ?

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

weird, but all i did was c-a-d and reboot, this time it worked.
    now i have sda1 thru sda7 instead of sde1 thru sde7.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

i would mark this as solved, but don't see how to do that..
    Last edited by vbdanl; 19th November 2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: more info found

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: dracut Warning no root device found after F16 install

Quote Originally Posted by vbdanl
    Hi. I installed F16 with the live cd. had to use acpi=off to get the cd to load and also to get the hard drive to (almost) bootup. It stops before completing the fresh install boot with the message: dracut Warning No root device "block:/dev/sda5" found
    i have ubuntu on sda3 and xp on sda1 and sda2. used to have F15 on sda5.
    chose the option to install boot loader in first sector so it would continue to use ubuntu boot loader.
    have been reading posts, but haven't found anyone installing F16 with similar problem.
    thanks for any help.
    looking at /dev there is no sda5. there is a sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, and sde1 thru sde7 and sg0 thru sg6.
    do you think i need to change the boot command to use sde5 instead of sda5 ?

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

weird, but all i did was c-a-d and reboot, this time it worked.
    now i have sda1 thru sda7 instead of sde1 thru sde7.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

i would mark this as solved, but don't see how to do that..
    use thread tool to mark it as solved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: dracut Warning no root device found after F16 install

thanks, i did. not sure how i missed seeing it in there yesterday..

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

i am still having sporadic occurrences of this error coming up when i reboot.
    not sure if i should open a new thread or just continue using this one.. i think the problem might be related to grub2. if i run update-grub on ubuntu (which is the OS that updates the menu options i see when booting), it finds fedora and adds entries for it. i always have to update the fedora entry and add "acpi=off" to boot fedora. the first time after running the update-grub it will have the error i am seeing here, where it wants to use sde5 instead of sda5 so it halts during boot into fedora. i just ctrl-alt-del and reboot, select fedora again, edit the line to include acpi=off, and it will boot fine.

my question now is: when you have a dual (or more) boot system and you run update-grub on the OS that is controlling the actual grub menu you see when booting, what should you do to modify the other OS's menu options so they contain the special needs they have ?

when ubuntu update-grub is running, it appears to be looking at the other OS's and it does retrieve the latest kernel versions to use in the newly formed grub menu. what is it looking at in the "other" distros to create the menu entry for them ?

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

seems to be working better now. i added a entry for fedora to the ubuntu /etc/grub.d directory. basically looks just the the other fedora entry, except i added the acpi=off to it. will have to manually update it each time the kernel gets updated, but at least it works.
    thanks for your help.
    dan