Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th June 2011, 08:45 PM
jcphil Offline

windows_7firefox
Exclamation laptop running very hot!

I have an HP DV7 4060-us. On Windows 7, it never runs more than lukewarm. But on F15, running KDE, it gets blazing hot even when it's sitting. If I run top, I don't see more than 6% CPU consumption. On one occasion, it got so hot I started having hardware failures, but the damage wasn't permanent. Obviously, I'm now scared to leave F15 running for any length of time. Are there any diagnostics I can run that would tell me what's going on?

Last edited by jcphil; 28th June 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: <SOLVED>
Old 24th June 2011, 09:21 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: laptop running very hot!

I don't want to scare you, but you might want to look at Dan's thread ' Death of a laptop ', which also relates to a HP DV series. The design/build issue Dan describes may, or may not, be connected to your symptoms.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:13 PM
coffee412 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphil View Post
I have an HP DV7 4060-us. On Windows 7, it never runs more than lukewarm. But on F15, running KDE, it gets blazing hot even when it's sitting. If I run top, I don't see more than 6% CPU consumption. On one occasion, it got so hot I started having hardware failures, but the damage wasn't permanent. Obviously, I'm now scared to leave F15 running for any length of time. Are there any diagnostics I can run that would tell me what's going on?
Do you have the nvidia driver installed? I say that because I use a live cd to boot up systems and backup files for customers. I was running it without the nvidia driver and the video card in a hp desktop got pretty darn warm. However, WHen I finally installed it on the hard drive and installed the video driver things did cool down quite a bit. So, just asking.
Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)
Old 24th June 2011, 11:01 PM
jcphil Offline

windows_7firefox

You may be onto the right thing. This laptop has an ATI Radeon card. But when I came back up in Windows after overheating, the HP diagnostic tool indicated something was wrong in the video driver. I'm going to try installing their driver and see what happens.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:52 PM
nirik Offline

linuxmidori

http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/...on-driver.html

might be worth trying the suggestions there for the KMS setup.
Old 26th June 2011, 05:55 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Howdy,

You absolutely HAVE to get a fan on the thing (I have lost one machine due to overheating). One way is to get a cooling pad with built-in fans and position it underneath the vent in the bottom of your laptop until you have figured out how to enable the internal fan.

If you cannot resolve the fan device driver issue, then another solution is to use a Dremel and cut the plastic on the bottom of the laptop to expose the fan (cut a large square around the bottom vent), then change the wiring so it will always run at medium speed (5V, 100 Ohm resistor, fan motor) and glue the plastic back. It is much more risky to disassemble a laptop to get to the damn fan, than to cut the cover open, because of the small connectors and ribbon cables.

Cheers,

F.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:19 PM
jcphil Offline

windows_7firefox

Just an update: Still no solution. Running the official ATI driver made X unusable. I had to revert back to the open source driver. I have no overheating problem at all in Windows and I don't recall having one in Ubuntu. So, there is most definitely a problem somewhere in the drivers packaged with Fedora. I'm afraid to run F15 right now, because I don't want to burn up my graphics card. That does seem to be the source of the overheating.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:07 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

The problem is not with the graphics driver.

The problem is with the FAN controller.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:22 PM
jcphil Offline

windows_7firefox

The temp monitor shows that the laptop starts out running hot immediately and the fan is on. The fan stays on all of the time and the laptop continues to get hotter. In Windows, the fan only comes on under heavy load and the laptop generally stays cool and under control. Does that fit the profile of a fan controller problem?
Old 27th June 2011, 06:41 PM
coffee412 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Exclamation Re: laptop running very hot!

I poked around google for the problem and found the following:

1. Fan control IS by the graphics driver.
2. The opensource ATI driver does not support fan control.

My thinking at this point is that you have to somehow get the ati driver to work with your card. Therefore more info is needed:

- What ati video chipset do you have?

coffee
Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)
Old 27th June 2011, 06:55 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Hmm, how many fans does the machine have? When last was the heat exchanger cleaned?
Old 28th June 2011, 02:22 AM
jcphil Offline

windows_7firefox
Thumbs up Re: laptop running very hot!

When I was running Ubuntu, I was using the ATI Catalyst driver and had no problems. But when i tried to install it on Fedora 15, X would no longer run. I had read that this version of X is incompatible with ATI's closed source driver. So, this kind of leaves me in a bind.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I found this thread which sheds a lot of light on the problem:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262166

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

The solution is here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

Allows you to install the ATI Catalyst driver and run X normally. Now I'm running cool with no fan needed.