Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2011, 09:04 PM
janw1 Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 15/gnome 3 failed to load session gnome-fallback

Hi all,

I did an update FC14->FC15 today, and didn't like the Gnome 3 environment at all, so decided to try the 'fallback' option. I selected the appropriate tickbox in account >settings (or similar), and restarted the system. However, at the login screen after username and password I get 'failed to load session gnome-fallback' and no other option than to logout, restart or shutdown. So I am completely locked out, and the only thing I can think of is to do en entirely new install of FC 14 or 15. Or is there a byway?
I did try logging on as 'root', but this user is not recognised.

But even if I do get back into the system, how do I evade the problem in the future? What is wrong?

Last edited by janw1; 26th May 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:14 PM
snoze Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 15/gnome 3 failed to load session gnome-fallback

Nothing new, sound like heart of F15
Old 26th May 2011, 09:27 PM
janw1 Offline

linuxfirefox

But has anybody found out what to do? I looked around on the internet, but haven't found anything concrete so far.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:29 PM
snoze Offline

linuxfirefox

post your opinion http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...49#post1475849
Old 27th May 2011, 05:55 AM
Ravna Offline

windows_xp_2003opera

It's the open source graphics driver.
You need the one from Nvidia.

There is no root account by default.
Just type "su".

Last edited by Ravna; 27th May 2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 27th May 2011, 06:16 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

janw1: if you can get to a console, can you check if gnome-panel and metacity are both installed, and look at ~/.xsession-errors and see if it suggests what's going wrong?

ravna: the graphics driver doesn't have anything to do with it. he's trying to load the fallback mode, which doesn't need any particular driver.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 27th May 2011, 02:51 PM
janw1 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Hi Adam,

No, I don't seem to be able to get beyond that login screen. The only user it recognises is myself as ordinary user, but that session fails, as described; 'root' is not recognised as user, and the only other option is to click on the computer icon at the top right of the screen, which gives you suspend, restart and shut down. I don't see any other ways forward. Or is there a combination on the keyboard that might work here?

I guess I'll have to do a complete new install of FC14 from DVD.

It is my first major issue with Fedora since I started using it 6 years ago....
If I decide to try FC15 again, it will be with the KDE desktop; what I saw of Gnome 3 looks like a big mistake to me.

Last edited by janw1; 27th May 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 27th May 2011, 04:22 PM
yuwanglingdi Offline

windows_7ie

Same question with janw1,so I go back to fedora 14.So I miss gnome 3,what a pity
Old 27th May 2011, 05:16 PM
dawner Offline

windows_7chrome

Hello everyone,
I have the same problem as janw1, but i might have made it a lot worse. Since I did not like gnome 3, a started to explore different options. I changed it to fallback, but it did not start X server, so I paniced and installed XFCE, which for some reason totally crashed, so I ended up uninstalling it. Now I am running in CLI, even if i try to run init 1, i wont boot to UI.
As you can see I am not very skilled in linux, but I am learning. So any ideas? Thank you for any replies.
Old 27th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Mariusz W Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by janw1 View Post
Hi Adam,

No, I don't seem to be able to get beyond that login screen.
You get to the console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or any other Function key between 2 and 6): this takes you to a non-graphic login prompt.
Old 27th May 2011, 08:43 PM
janw1 Offline

linuxfirefox

@Marius and Adam,

Thanks, that got me at least into a console (ctrl-alt-f2)! I can find locations for gnome-panel and metacity, and these look OK /(usr/share, that sort of stuff)
.xsession-errors appears to be in the /home/user directory, but if I go there and do gedit .xsession-errors it refers me to the help function. What am I doing wrong? Add an option?
Funny is that if I switch back to graphical, I still get the login screen but with a green tickbox telling me that I am already logged in. But if I log in, it still returns 'failed to load session gnome-fallback '.

However, now that I've got that command line, and can become both myself and root, is it perhaps possible to switch to KDE from here? Can I use yum for example?

I 've also tried: gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback
from the thread 'how to switch to gnome-fallback...' below, but with no effect.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

@Ravna

Sorry I missed your post completely, I've only just read it. This looks interesting. How does one get that driver? Through yum? Or change settings somewhere?
logging in as su gives authentication failure, as does root.

[15 minutes later] So I've now tried a few things and yes, YUM can be used from the command line that I have. Ravna, can you reveal the location of the right graphics driver?

Last edited by janw1; 27th May 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:20 PM
christian_l Offline

linuxopera

Make sure your gnome installation is complete with yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment". If you have compiz installed, I would remove it. Also look in the Guides and Solutions section on this forum for the best options to use your graphics card. Hope this helps.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:27 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

you can't run gedit from the console because it's a graphical tool and you're running at a console =). you can only use console apps. I like 'nano' as a usable console text editor; it doesn't have the crazy power of vi and emacs, but it also doesn't have the crazy control schemes that come with that power. 'yum install nano' then 'nano .xsession-errors' . or, since you don't really need to *edit* the file, you can just do 'less .xsession.errors', which will print it on the screen for you to look at, you can page up / page down through it.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 27th May 2011, 10:16 PM
janw1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Right! I got there. Adam was right: apparently gnome-panel *is* missing (or located in the wrong place, since I did get a location for it --???).
However, I did this:
- make sure computer is connected to the internet and connection working
- switch to command line with ctrl-alt-f2, as above
- su
- yum install gnome-panel
-restart computer

now the login does proceed, and I do get into something that looks more like the Gnome desktop that I was used to.

Now how do I add a panel??
Old 15th August 2011, 05:03 PM
thinkevd Offline

windows_7chrome
Cool Re: Fedora 15/gnome 3 failed to load session gnome-fallback

sudo yum install gnome-panel
I removed bluetooth support in package manager occurred this.

Tags
15 or gnome, failed, fedora, gnomefallback, load, session