difference between service and systemctl
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

difference between service and systemctl

hi,

can anybody explain me the difference between the service and the systemctl-command? is chkconfig still working to configure automatic startup from services? i had to start rsyslogd manually, even if chkconfig --list showed up level 2-5 for this service.

Roger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: difference between service and systemctl

service operates on the files in /etc/init.d and was used in conjunction with the old init system. systemctl operates on the files in /lib/systemd . If there is a file for your service in /lib/systemd it will use that first and if not it will fall back to the file in /etc/init.d

In theory service is supposed to be linked to systemctl but in the F16 branch it looks like they are starting to disable that.

I really, really hope the admins will sticky the systemd documentation up top. Other wise we are going to be repeating ourselves ad nausium.

After reading Lennarts last instalment of his blog where he decides that Linux sucks every one has been doing every thing wrong and he is "The One". I am fully back into the "this is a really stupid idea and even if it wasn't he is the wrong person to lead it" camp. It takes more than just a monumental ego to make open source work. Seriously if the guy is as all knowing as he thinks he is he really shouldn't be wasting his talents on others. He should write his own OS.