<---- template headericclude ----->
Basic video?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic video?

After much heartache, I've finally found a version of Fedora that will boot to a live desktop on my hardware. To do so, I had to pick "basic video" (if I remember correctly) to get to the desktop. Just letting it default boot from the CD (KDE/64 bit) gives nada as it has since F12. When I let it boot automatically, it almost seems like it loses contact with the video hardware. (Sorry, I'm an ESL teacher, not a techy). The power light on my monitor turns red, which it does when a) the computer is off, or b)the computer turns off the monitor (via my preferences). I can hear the CD drive spinning, but eventually it stops.

I'm writing this from F15 now, so obvious something is working with that basic video boot option.

My question is this... what happens when I go to install t the hard drive (which I won't do until F15 is officially released)? Am I going to have video? I know I need to update desperately. I'm afraid to install this and then have nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Basic video?

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but since fedora 9 I have faced a similar
    problem with Xorg and drivers - a black screen and "no signal" displayed on the
    monitor.

What I do is press ctrl+alt+numeric keypad + (that's the plus key, minus also works)
    to cycle through the Xorg server's list of possible resolutions and frequencies.
    Eventually, sometimes after 10 or more attempts, my monitor comes to life and
    I get a display. Often it is barely usable - 640X480 or so - but it allows access to
    grub.conf so I can set a reasonable display resolution on the kernel command line.

Different versions of fedora have required different techniques to get my matrox
    card and the mga driver working right.

This page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions is a good guide for
    finding the right value to put into grub.conf. You may also need to write an xorg.conf
    file if the server remains clueless about your video hardware and driver.

tox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KSMarksPsych
    After much heartache, I've finally found a version of Fedora that will boot to a live desktop on my hardware. To do so, I had to pick "basic video" (if I remember correctly) to get to the desktop. Just letting it default boot from the CD (KDE/64 bit) gives nada as it has since F12. When I let it boot automatically, it almost seems like it loses contact with the video hardware. (Sorry, I'm an ESL teacher, not a techy). The power light on my monitor turns red, which it does when a) the computer is off, or b)the computer turns off the monitor (via my preferences). I can hear the CD drive spinning, but eventually it stops.

I'm writing this from F15 now, so obvious something is working with that basic video boot option.

My question is this... what happens when I go to install t the hard drive (which I won't do until F15 is officially released)? Am I going to have video? I know I need to update desperately. I'm afraid to install this and then have nothing.
    what you can do is, install Normal Video, once its installed you can then add rpmfusion and install the blob drivers to get video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by detox
    what you can do is, install Normal Video, once its installed you can then add rpmfusion and install the blob drivers to get video
    OK, that makes sense. But what will I or won't I see when trying to install to the HD? I guess that's what I'm worried about. And it's been so long, do you have to reboot to finish the install? Will I have video then?

Or are you saying 'Normal Video' is an install option?

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sonoran
    This page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions is a good guide for
    finding the right value to put into grub.conf. You may also need to write an xorg.conf
    file if the server remains clueless about your video hardware and driver.

At some point where I actually had some time to fool with this, I found that page. It took a while to get my exploded head back together. I'll never complain about teaching English grammar again.

Thanks for the hint on how to cycle through those resolutions.

-----

I should add the card is a NVidia GForce 9600GT. Definitely not the latest or greatest. And I don't care if I have the NVidia drivers or not. I have them on my install of F10, but I've not ever used anything in their control panel.... so if a generic driver works, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by KSMarksPsych; 19th March 2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Added HW information

tox Guest

what you wont see? i dont know it all depenmds on how well your install goes an the video drivers you choose to use. , with the LiveCD install you do have to reboot to complete the install , with the DvD you have to do the same. however once its installed and you reboot to finish off the install you can quickly Add the RPMFusion repo and install the Nvidia blob driver which will blacklist the opensource nvidia driver once you install the blob driver

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that on several of my machines, I can't boot the live CD images at all without using the basic video option, but If I download the full install CD/DVD image it install fine without having to go through the hassles of the basic video option.

I guess this is due to there being more hardware support on the full install images than on the livecd image.

your card should run fine with the nouveau drivers included with Fedora, I'm betting it's having a problem with your monitor EDID information.

And once you do install Fedora, the nvidia drivers aren't too hard to install, either. Just follow Leigh123linux's great guide and it should work fine.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer the initial question: If you install from the Basic Video option, the installed system will use the same configuration and hence should work.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net