Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th August 2009, 02:34 AM
dth4h Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question kmod-nvidia vs akmod-nvidia

What is the difference between kmod-nvidia and akmod-nvidia. And which one should I use?

This is my nvidia video card: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8200M G (rev a2)
Old 19th August 2009, 03:07 AM
ozjd Online

linuxfedorafirefox
This seems to get asked every couple of weeks.

kmod is the driver. It is made for a particular kernel. When a new kernel is released you need a new kmod. It sometimes takes a few days for the new kmod to appear.

akmod will create the driver for the kernel being loaded so you don't have to wait for a new kmod when the kernel is updated. It is a simpler way. I would recommend akmod, that is what I have been using. See the nvidia thread in my signature.
Old 19th August 2009, 04:50 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
A 'kmod' (kernel driver module) is the pre-compiled, low-level software interface between the kernel and a driver. It gets loaded (into RAM) and merged into the running kernel. Linux kmods are specific to one and only one kernel, and will not work (nor even load) for any other kernel. Advantages: Pre-Compiled - no need to fool around with compiling, compilers, *-devel packages and other associated overhead. Disadvantages: updating and re-booting into a new kernel without updating the kmod(s) will result in loss of functionality (e.g.: 3D video support) at best, or worse (e.g.: X11 crashes/freezes); inherent delays in updating kmods after kernel updates.

But 'akmods' is a system (like DKMS) to auto-build (hence: akmod) new kmods for you "on-the-fly", in response to new/changed running kernel. Advantages: obvious. Disadvantages: HDD space required for compilers and *-devel packages; unforseen/uncorrectable driver problems that cannot be resolved by the automatic tools.

The actual Linux driver(s) itself (2D, and often also 3D; in this case: NVidia video driver) is actually a separate file (nvidia_drv.so).

HTH,
V
Old 19th August 2009, 06:56 PM
AlFrugal Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm running FC11. I use the nvidia driver from RPMFusion. I just installed the kernel upgrade from 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i686.PAE to 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.i686.PAE. As has been noted in several threads on Fedoraforum, the kmod-nvidia driver that matches this latest kernel has not yet been released. So, as recommended in several of the threads, I installed akmod-nvidia.i686. I did *not* remove any of the currently installed kmod-nvidia modules.

After installed akmod-nvidia, I rebooted to the latest kernel. akmod appeared to furnish the needed kmod-nvidia for the latest kernel, but my boot then hung when trying to start X-Window. I tried rebooting the latest kernel and the same thing happened.

I am able to boot the fallback kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i686.PAE. Running under this kernel, I ran Yum extender and looked into deleting all of my installed kmod-nvidia modules (as has been recommended in several of the posts here). I also selected for delete vanilla kmod-nvida. I didn't go through with this deletion because Yum selected for deletion a bunch of other modules for dependencies such as akmod-nvidia and some X-Window modules.

What exactly am I supposed to do so that my kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.i686.PAE will boot using akmod-nvidia?

(Leigh's Fedoraforum nvidia Howto and the Fedorasolved akmod Howto don't say anything about having to delete any kmod-nvidia* modules).
Old 19th August 2009, 08:20 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Theoretically, you should be able to have BOTH kmod-* and matching akmod-* installed without any ill effects. If a current/necessary kmod is not found, then (as you have seen) akmod should build one, and it should be (functionally if not exactly/literally) identical to a pre-compiled kmod. Practically, I cannot say for certain if this might cause problems. Personally: I consider the kmod-* RPMs to be unnecessary at best, if matching akmod-* is installed, and there may also be administrative problems.

You can try to forcibly remove the kmod-nvidia RPMs, AT YOUR OWN RISK of course; this may necessitate re-install of akmod-nvidia and/or other NVidia driver bits. If you want to try:
su -
rpm -ev --nodeps kmod-nvidia<insert-version-release> << also add any other kmod-nvidia*
yum reinstall akmod* xorg-x11-drv-nvidia*
reboot

However... I suspect that this will not solve the video driver problem. Or maybe it will. Alternatively, I have been suggesting to use instead Leigh's DKMS-based driver (see Post #4 of his NVidia Guide), but no one seems to want to try.... Note that the DKMS-based driver requires that you first uninstall all other NVidia driver bits & associated RPMs. Leigh also has made an NVidia beta driver (190.18?) RPM for this driver - it's floating around here somewhere....

Theoretically, all these drivers - whether from NVidia Corp. binary, kmods, akmods, DKMS - should function identically, assuming the same base NVidia driver version. Practically: it doesn't work out that way. Personally: I prefer the DKMS-based driver, for a number of reasons.

Good Luck,
V
Old 19th August 2009, 08:37 PM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I've installed akmod-nvidia on my Fedora 11 64-bit computer, and made the correct edits to xorg.conf. When I then run startx, it fails to start the X server. From looking at the error log it can't find nvidia.ko. What's with that? And what's a .ko file?
Old 19th August 2009, 08:56 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
And what's a .ko file?
A kmod (loadable kernel driver module) - see Post # 3 above.
Quote:
From looking at the error log it can't find nvidia.ko. What's with that?
Not sure; try:
su -
updatedb
locate nvidia.ko

Post results.

V
Old 19th August 2009, 09:12 PM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I tried both updatedb and locate, and neither command can be found. What package do I need to install to get those?
Old 19th August 2009, 09:47 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
yum install mlocate

Can't believe it's not there by default, but....

V
Old 19th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Iron_Mike Online

windows_vistaie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxDanP View Post
I tried both updatedb and locate, and neither command can be found. What package do I need to install to get those?
Maybe, maybe not. The command is:

su space hyphen

Then try it again.

Mike
Old 20th August 2009, 12:38 AM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Permissions shouldn't have been the problem. I'm running the computer from root, and kde isn't working (I was told to get the graphics drivers working may be a problem) so I'm left without a desktop system.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:42 AM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Locate nvidia.ko came up with nothing. I also verified that I had installed akmod-nvidia, it is installed and the latest version. (I installed it yesterday.)
Old 20th August 2009, 12:51 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
The kmods should have been built as part of the RPM installation, but you can force. Try:
su -
akmods --kernels `uname -r`

Copy-and-paste command to get the funky characters.

Re-start of X (or re-boot) required.

V

P.S. The akmods system requires compilers and kernel-devel to build the kmods. These should have been dragged in as deps, but.... Check:
yum install gcc make kernel-devel kernel-headers

ought to do it.

Last edited by Hlingler; 20th August 2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 20th August 2009, 01:32 AM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Ok, I already had gcc etc. and when I ran akmods --kernels `uname -r` it said it was checking kmods, then it tried to build kmod-nvidia and failed. I also tried running

akmods --force with the same result.
Old 20th August 2009, 01:39 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
OK, please post:
su -
lspci|grep VGA
uname -r
rpm -q kernel kernel-devel kernel-headers|sort
rpm -qa|grep -i nvid|sort

Was there a message about a log file to consult? If so, check it, and if necessary attach to a post so we can see what went wrong.

V

P.S. By any chance: have you ever previously installed the NVidia binary on this OS ?

Last edited by Hlingler; 20th August 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Tags
akmodnvidia, kmodnvidia