<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora 10 install loses CD-ROM drive on Proliant 3000
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Da_Lurch Guest

Fedora 10 install loses CD-ROM drive on Proliant 3000

Greetings all,

By way of background: I've been using Linux since kernel 0.97.something_or_the_other, but I've been using one of the other distros. This is my first crack at Redhat/Fedora.

I'm trying to install Fedora 10 on an old Compaq Proliant 3000, dual P-II 450, Compaq Smartarray 3200, plenty of drive space, 3C905 based NIC, original Compaq CD drive.

The install will boot from the CD just fine, I get the initial graphic menu to select whether to do an install, upgrade, etc.

I select option 1 to install and I get what looks like an ncurses based screen that asks me to select a language, another screen that asks for a keyboard, then a screen that asks me if I want to install from CD/DVD, NFS, local drive, etc.

If I select the CD install option, the next screen complains that it can't find a drive and asks me to either select a driver from a list of drivers or to insert a driver disk. Doesn't matter what driver I select, it always snaps immediately back to the screen that says it can't find the hardware to match the driver. Every time it does this, it's not spinning the CD to read the driver that I've selected.

IF I go for an NFS install, after it asks me the network parms I wind up at that same driver screen with the same results, no matter what I pick it throws me back to the can't find hardware/pick a driver screen. As far as I can tell, the NIC is never actually trying to wake up.

I know the hardware is functional because if I boot from from CD with my usual distro it identifies and starts all the hardware just fine, CD, NIC, RAID, etc.

I can see where it might work to have the necessary driver module for the CD on a floppy, but where do I get the module? I tried mounting the .iso images for the install set on another machine but I don't see anything obvious that looks like modules that I can cabbage onto.

Any thoughts on which way to go next?

Thanks all,

Lurch

JKringen Guest
    I'm having the exact same issue as well. Anyone know how to fix this?