<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora core 6 installation 30 hours and running
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    eagle047 Guest

Fedora core 6 installation 30 hours and running

I selected almost all packages. Running on a 800mhz computer, the installation up to 90% or so was done in about four hours, and since then it has been barely chugging along with a new package every hour or so. The mouse takes 5 minutes to respond. Should I be worried? Did I create a rift in the space-time continuum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO!!

Are you insane?

Why would you do that?

Why prolong the install when you can have it done in 20 minutes and THEN install as much crap as you want while you play around with it, besides you're just going to end up downloading a couple gigs worth of updates anyways......... I mean if it ever installs.

Chameleon047 Guest
    Ok,
    Eagle047 actually posted for me. I'm going to try and give a little more detail.

Installing Fedora 6 (CPU: 800mHz Pentium III)
    I let it use the default configuration on my hard drive. A 500gb perpendicular Seagate Barracuda (not SATA).
    I chose to include Gnome, KDE, XCFE and Fluxbox (I know this is odd but I wanted some options)
    I also chose to include almost everything under the networking and internet sections. (Once again, I wanted some options and I don't really know what I'm doing)
    It said I would need all 5 CDs and I started the install.
    The installation started out fine it said it would take about an hour and based on how fast the progress bar was moving that seemed to be an accurate estimation.
    All was well until I passed roughly 90%. At that point it said there were only 6 minutes left but it slowed way down. It started to take about 4 hours to install a 9mb file and the mouse took about 5 minutes to respond. We're coming up 48 hours of install pretty soon here. It increased the time remaining to 8 minutes (slightly more accurate) and guessing by the progress bar I have about 2% left.
    I'm going to go ahead and venture a guess that this is not normal. So I guess I'm asking for suggestions. Would it be a better idea to do a minimal install and then install packages later?

And as I was writing...
    I got an error saying that the 870kb package that I had been working on installing for about 4 hours now was corrupt or the disc image was bad. I burnt the 5th disc again swapped it in and told it to retry. It takes it forever to respond but I now have the title bar to what I'm guessing is going to become a pop-up that reads "Change CDROM" which I'm guessing means it't not going to accept my replacement disc.

It's looking like I'm going to have to abort the installation and retry. Suggestions so that I can have this installed and running before I go to sleep?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and restart the install.
    The idea is for it to run an ftp server, a web server, ssh. I basically want it to hold a bunch of files that I can access from anywhere and I want to ba able to access it remotely. Suggestions are welcomed.
    Last edited by Chameleon047; 6th April 2007 at 01:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start all over again, let it format the drive, you should only need the first two CD's.

If you have a connection to the internet, then go with what I said.

Do the normal install, don't select any extra packages, it should be done within a half hour or so, depends on the machine. Once you boot into FC run:

yum update -y

then reboot and you can start adding as much stuff as you want although I would suggest adding groups at a time instead of piling on hundreds and hundreds of packages all at once.

yum install yumex -y

You'll find it under Applications>System Tools, You can see everything that's available and read short descriptions.

For third party stuff like drivers and multimedia codecs add the livna repo like so:

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm

Those packages will also show up in Yumex now.

If you don't have an internet connection on this machine, I would still suggest doing a normal install then you can make a local repo on your drive so you can still use yum to install packages.

Edit - Also make sure you check out this site:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/
    Last edited by Dies; 6th April 2007 at 01:40 AM.

Chameleon047 Guest
    Ok,

Fedora is now installed and I've booted up and logged in. It said that there were about 400 updates to install and I told it to go ahead but it said there was another program running that was doing something with with the packages and then it exited and now the icon is no longer in the upper right hand corner. What do I do about that other program and how do I go about getting the updates now.

Also: I can't seem to find a terminal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find the Terminal in Applications>Accessories, or Applications>System Tools.

Go to System>Administration>Services, enter your root pass when asked then click on edit runlevel and select all, now scroll down the list till you find yumupdatesd or updatesd or something like that sorry I'm not on FC right now, uncheck all the boxes for it then save your changes.

yumupdates just checks for updates, but you can do that yourself every now and then.

While you're there in the Services configuration turn off anything you know for sure you don't need. If you're not sure leave it alone but here's a pretty good list of everything and what it does, If you don't need it shut it off.

http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/s...peed+boot+time

BTW - right click the terminal entry in your menu and add it to your panel or desktop, since you'll probably need it quite a bit till you get your system set up the way you want it.
    Last edited by Dies; 6th April 2007 at 03:39 AM.