<---- template headericclude ----->
Not in control!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    TheRoom Guest

Not in control!

How can I obtain full administration rights on my Fedora 5? Some programs can't be opened because I don't have the rights to use them. Like Xine Media player, whenever I try to play a DVD it tells me I don't have the rights to do this.

Thanks!

Alex.

Chosen Reject Guest
    That might be because of the way you installed it. Did you use yum or did you install it manually as root?

TheRoom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen Reject
    That might be because of the way you installed it. Did you use yum or did you install it manually as root?
    I don't remember. But some files too, folders also. I got no rights to use them. I am the only one using this machine, so I'd like to be in total control of everything. How can I obtain permanent root/admin access?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to log in as root. Running on a hour by hour basis in root is an extreme bad bad bad bad bad (did I sayBAD) idea. It defeats all the protections offered by linux. Your best bet is to do most task as user (once you are set up 90% of tasks can be done by user). When you run into a task that requires root, open a terminal type su - (su space dash) give root password, take care of the issue then exit out of su.

Good Luck
    Lazlow

TheRoom Guest
    I am trying to edit my xorg.conf file, but get this message:

Code:
    Could not save the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please, check that you typed the location correctly and try again.
    What can I do to edit it...?

Thank you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you logged in as a user or as root?

Assuming as user: Open a terminal, type su - (su space dash), enter root password, type gedit (or whatever editor), do as usual, and exit su.

Lazlow

ccrvic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoom
    I'd like to be in total control of everything.
    No you don't.

Total control implies total responsibiity. Do you really think you have enough knowledge of Linux to hold that responsibility on a permanent basis?

Running as root is a really good way to get your box broken - or broken into, which is worse.

Vic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the old adage of not using root account fulltime comes from way back. They were mostly afraid of errant terminal usage/typing from anyone walking around the keyboard. maybe even the cat.
    Most "boxes" are broken into by way of a server running and accessable from the 'net--ain't got much to do with who's logged in at the time.
    Getting the 'root" access by wildassed or script driven guesses through a login attempt WILL make it so much easier in the short term though to jack the box.
    Downloading just about any old thing from the net while root will eventually lead to grief if you ain't careful.
    Clicking on strange and wonderful links while logged in as root will come to grief more and more as time goes on.
    But folks---if a box is jacked while just a user is logged in--it's entirely possible that box is toast even though the user NEVER logs in as root, which data is safe then? (some servers are jacked when absolutely no body is logged in ---every day)
    Not using root as a normal type day to day login is a simple way to keep fumbly (others or even yours) fingers from making definate drastic changes when "It wasn't supposed to do THAT!" occurrs.
    Root account has a definate purpose.....keep the box/network running/safe from even the boss's fumbling fingers. Root account isn't a firewall nor is not using it any type or form of a guarentee of safety.
    Root vs user accounts on a single user desktop--surfing--music playing computer--no network usage is a moot point IF you think you know enough to not make simple silly typing or file handling mistakes---and even if ya do--you WILL learn quickly to not do that again logged in as root.....more then likely it will speed up the learning curve a bit while reinstalling a few times.
    Now if I had a little nickel for every time an errant misguided user on the internet has tried to log in to this computer as "root"--me and Billy G. would be "buds" and jetsetters together--and hang out together with the other extremely rich folks like Bob and GallComp do.

ccrvic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by w5set
    Actually the old adage of not using root account fulltime comes from way back. They were mostly afraid of errant terminal usage/typing from anyone walking around the keyboard.
    And that same fear holds today.

There is no need to do things with the safety-catch off unless it is one of those things that *needs* it. When you need root access, there's su and sudo. When you don't need root access, you don't use it.

This "I must be lord of all I survey" idea is at the beginning of a world of missing files...

Vic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using su or sudo is ok--if you don't forget to log off/out/exit.
    Just how many out there have to use a terminal as root to do updates/installs of this or that and have a normal GUI running and doing some surfin at the same time?
    A bigger practice (more then likely with a single user computer) that's rather debatable also.
    As stated--the ROOT account is to keep fumbly fingers--cats walking across the keyboard--or just plain dummass bad luck with typing/file handling from stuffing the computer.
    It's always been--Use at your own risk! type warnings.
    I kinda thought I (almost) was warning not to use root as normal login--kinda---but then again--who listens to me?
    If anyone thinks they can do what's needed--and won't screw up at all--I would suggest actually doing it for a month or so--it's a GREAT teacher, learning method....really quick and steep learning curve usually overcome by a bit of talent and work. Doo-doo can occurr--and will from time to time.
    Murphy will eventually prevail over the best intentions or even the brightest guru.
    But there's a bunch of just plain old "myth" reasons floating about of why to not use root all the time.
    Just one or two basic simple reasons is enough to just use root as needed.