Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2009, 01:19 PM
Coroiba Offline

Triple Boot Macbook Pro Unibody, Vista 64, Fedora 11 64

Hi,

I have read a lot of great info about triple booting a macbook pro. I done all the steps in partitioning the drive and installing Vista 64, after installing Vista, I install Fedora 11 and it finishes and I reboot. I can see the 3 icons on refit, but when I try to go to either Fedora 11 or Vista 64 I get a message on my screen saying that there is no bootable disk, please load a bootable disk and hit any key to continue. I though that I could just repair the installation of Vista, but when I do that Vista tells me that the disk that I have is not compatible with the system software that is installed. I don't know what to I tried everything that I know, am I missing something ?. Before anyone jump on me, my Vista is a original disk, what makes no sense that it can not repair itself.

Thanks,

Manuel
Old 20th July 2009, 11:49 AM
crossz Offline

Yes, it's a tough way to do this.

Firstly, it is the complexity of mixing apple's gpt and windows mbr together....
Then, it's the limitation of Boot Camp, which only set and see the partition for Windows is 'disk0s3'. Otherwise, it will cause various fail or error messages.

You can give it a try in this way. But not cure or fix for the triple boot. Just to make you know more about Boot Camp.
1) As Boot Camp Assistant requires, make only one partition on your hard disk.
2) Using Boot Camp Assistant to partition and install your Windows. And set Windows up completely.
3) Go back to mac, using Disk Utility to create another partition, (here to make it easy and simple, we just create one more partition for Fedora to test, only for '/', don't setup swap). Note, we don't install Fedora at this moment.
4) Restart your mac, and come back to Disk Utility, you will find the partition for Windows, previously called 'disk0s3' can become 'disk0s4'. This will cause Windows startup problem.
5) To test whether Windows can startup or not, restart mac into Windows. You should get error or fail message.
6) Go back to Mac, then remove the partition for Linux. Then reboot, Windows should be fine. Because the partition name become 'disk0s3' again.

This is all what I find, using Boot Camp to install Windows. Hopefully this help you to understand more about this.

I am planning to install Windows, without using Boot Camp, to see is there any limitation about the partition name things. But I did not get any time to do this. If you want to check it out, please leave your test result here. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:06 PM
crossz Offline

Try this, http://blog.gnist.org/article.php?st...X-Ubuntu-Vista.

This is the most concise tutorial for this triple boot, and with screenshots. I did not do anything about 'bless'. Please try this out and let us know is this a fix for the 'disk0s3' problem. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:39 PM
Min Offline

I think there is a menu in refit that say synchronize partition table. select that then answer yes
restart then try booting
Old 20th July 2009, 10:16 PM
crossz Offline

Yes, there is. I tried. But it doesn't work for me.
So I guess, the Windows should not be installed by Boot Camp if we want triple boot. This is also mentioned on other old tutorials.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:26 PM
Firewing1 Offline

I don't have a unibody (I have the older generation 4,1 MBP) however this procedure worked for me:
  • Boot OS X and partition your disk using Disk Utility. You will be able to simply slide the vertical bar at the bottom of your OS X partition to resize it.
  • Create 2 more partitions for Linux and Windows respectively. It's important that Windows comes last on the disk, I read online that there's a bug in Windows XP (not sure about Vista) that prevents it from booting if it is not the last partition in the MBP triple-boot setup.
  • Sync the GPT partitions with the MBR in rEFIt
  • Install Windows and be sure to use only that last partition. Although Boot Camp uses FAT32, you can format as "NTFS (quick)" and use MacFUSE+NTFS-3G to access the volume later.
  • Install Linux
  • Sync the GPT partitions with the MBR in rEFIt
If you can't boot Windows, try setting the "active" flag on the Windows partition. Just don't sync that change to GPT, as in GPT "active" need to be the FAT32 EFI System Partition.

Note that the first two steps can also be done from the command line on the OS X installation CDs. It's a bit more technical, but allows for more flexibility.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Min Offline

Okay this is what i did before if i 'm not mistaken (It is what i did, not the what recommended)
- Use boot camp create partition for windows (At this point i did not want triple boot)
- Install Windows
- Use disk util to create third partition
- Install refit
- boot from install dvd
- install Fedora
- Sync the GPT partitions with the MBR in rEFIt
- change boot.ini in my windows partition (disk util create a new partition between mac and windows and messed up my boot.ini, the partition it tried to boot (third) is now linux Hd instead of windows (become 4th. This might be your problem. It gave me BSoD right after splash screen)

EDIT: my current boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Old 21st July 2009, 10:08 AM
crossz Offline

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
- change boot.ini in my windows partition (disk util create a new partition between mac and windows and messed up my boot.ini, the partition it tried to boot (third) is now linux Hd instead of windows (become 4th. This might be your problem. It gave me BSoD right after splash screen)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Yes, I guess so.
I have tried it out as well. My way to avoid the situation you have mentioned, is to prepare these partitions ready before any installation. Here using the command diskutil is better, because Disk Utility will also creates some spare space between every partitions. This will cause some problems during Windows installation.

Anyway, now, it looks not that difficult to do the triple boot

Also, out of this topic, I did installed ubuntu on that Macbook, but on my PC for work and productivity is Fedora. I love more Fedora than Ubuntu
Old 21st July 2009, 11:24 AM
Min Offline

Sure that way is better. It just back then I was just interested in dual booting windows. Back then Mac OSX was a new operating system to me. It just about one month and half ago i finally try to use linux fedora, I once tried fedora live cd back in fedora 9, that's why i use fedora 11 now. It might not the most suitable distro for newbie like me, but using fedora make me learn many thing, maybe more than if i tried other distro
Old 21st July 2009, 12:16 PM
crossz Offline

Talking

Good to know that you prefer Fedora!
To keep people stay with Fedora, now it really need more fans, I want to share my opinion
Fedora is the no. 1 contributor for Linux kernel, the newest technique (normally system level, such as Plymouth, faster bootup, open-jdk, etc.). So Fedora will bring you the latest open-source technology, while other distros like Ubuntu, normally will be late around half year or one. Also, due to knowing the Linux kernel much better than other distros, Fedora brings much better experience at most aspects.

So, if you are a smart user, developer or programmer level, Fedora is definitely best choice. If you are just good person, who want to support great open source but without enough intelligence, then choose some 'stable' distros, like Ubuntu, in which some software will never be upgraded until next version, such as Openoffice or Firefox 3.5. Such kind of things always happen, not just for the 9.04 version. While some ubuntu fans must say, they have PPA, but this brings vast unstable elements into system or dependency failures. But I have to say, Ubuntu is also an awesome distro, easy to use. I normally will install Ubuntu for girls, like my sister and my gf, but for myself, of course, the challenging Fedora

Last edited by crossz; 21st July 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 21st July 2009, 01:20 PM
Min Offline

I did have both fedora 9 and uBuntu 8.04 live cd back then. And i prefer fedora for 'silly' reason. Those are the color scheme (I like blue better) and number of virtual desktop (4 over 2, which actually can be configured).

On topic: I Considering windows 7 and snow leopard when it will be released, but I'm worrying about the probability of destroying other OSes. How about you?
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:38 AM
crossz Offline

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Hi Min,

Can you confirm your procedure: using Boot Camp to partition and install Windows, then Create a new partition for Linux. Finally modify boot.ini to make Window revive?

I used my method, create all partition first then install Windows and Linux. In this way, very weird, I can not using NTFS-3G to access the Windows partition from Mac. But I do remember, previously I just made the Mac dual boot using Boot Camp, I can access the Windows partition.
So I am really very interested in your method, but I have no time to re-partition all my hard disk to re-install all these OS. So, can you confirm your method is definitely correct? Or any one can try this out?
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:11 AM
Min Offline

Hmm actually I am not sure my self, but i am using fat32 partition. That way i can edit the boot.ini from my Mac. That way my Windows partition become my sharing folder between OS if i need to share it easily. IIRC, I never use NTFS-3G (that is a software for accessing NTFS if i recall corectly right? or a kind of partition format?). Mac cannot write NTFS by default as far as i know.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:31 PM
Coroiba Offline

Thanks for all the replies,

Here is my dilemma. I had a triple boot laptop and everything was fine. I updated Fedora 10 to 11 and after I could not boot my computer. I have everything backed up. I decided to reinstall everything from scratch. I deleted all the partitions. Put the DVD and proceed to install a fresh 10.5.5, everything goes well. Formatted the drive using the GUID partition, HFS+ journaled, the install goes well but when it finishes it fails. The message on the screen says, " The Installer could not make the computer start up from the volume "Mac HD". You may need to select your disk using the Startup Disk Utility. I have reformatted this drive several times, even ran zeros on it onvernite and so far nothing. For some reason I can't install Leopard back on this drive. Any help...???. So this is where I am stuck. I tried GParted to repartition and no go, also tried Ipartion, no go, DisktUtility, no go, Fdisk, no go. Ran zeros on the drive overnite, try to reinstall again, no go at all. I am open to any ideas.

Thanks,

Manuel
Old 25th July 2009, 12:35 PM
crossz Offline

I just tried to install Fedora 11 with Windows and Mac on the Macbook 5.1 unibody.
Previously, my triple boot is Mac+Ubuntu+Win XP. Things work fine.

Due to Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix can not support Acer Aspire One Wifi after a kernel upgrade. So I installed Fedora on that, everything work out of box. To provide better support, I also wanted to install Fedora 11 on my Macbook.

But I just realize 2 things:
1) Fedora 11 should be impossible to installed in the triple boot macbook, because it force the '/' is ext4 system, and '/boot' is ext3. From the Macbook rules we know there is only ONE partition for Linux, otherwise Windows will fail to startup.

2) Another Macbook rule is 'Windows must be in the last partition". If fedora 11 is installed ( it takes at least 2 partition), Windows can only count first 4 partition, but the first 4 partition now is 1) EFI 2) Mac HD 3) /boot 4) /. So windows will not find itself, at this moment, error message like 'system/hal.dll is missing or corrupt' will come out.

Therefore, I plan to install Ubuntu 9.04 for the triple boot, it doesn't force install '/' in the format of ext4 so far.

Tags
boot , fedora , macbook , pro , triple , unibody , vista