Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2007, 09:27 AM
n0-0ne Offline

fc6 moving the root filesystem to anew partition

I've installed FC6 on my computer a few months ago, but didn't allocated enugth space for the root flesystem.
now I can't get any updates or install new software cose my partition is full.
I've desided to remove windows move my root filesystem to the windows partition.
so I booted from a live cd and cp -ax my root to the other partition, changed the fstab on the new patition
and the grub.conf ,
when I run the system from the new partition it seems to be working fine.
I get only one warnning from the httpd about not being able to find the www folder under my user home folder.
but I can't login to the system , trying to login from one of the terminals just jumps back to the login screen withouth showing any error or msg.
I don't know if it has any thing to do with this but my /home folder is on another partition but every thing is defined in the fstab
Old 18th March 2007, 10:30 AM
stevea

I suspect you dont have /home mounted for some reason. This
would explain both problems.

Go to a vga console (type ctrl+alt+f1) and login as root.
Then type "mount" and see if everything is mounted correctly. Something may be
wrong in /etc/fstab for the /home fs. Not obvious why. Try mounting it again
"mount -a" and see what messages you get. Maybe the mountpoint "/home"
is misssing or something.

I assume you already solved this, but by default FCn mounts the root fs by partition
label. In /boot/grub/grub.conf you have lines like
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
which must be changed to
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 ro root=/dev/sda1 rhgb quiet
or else you'll have to relabel the partitions with e2label

The same label issue appears in /etc/fstab as
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
which should be changed too.

Note that you'll eventually have to do a grub-install if you have /boot included
under "/" on the new "/" partition.
Old 18th March 2007, 10:31 AM
JEO Offline

I don't believe the cp command copies the security contexts if you are running Selinux. You can boot by appending selinux=0 to the grub kernel command line. Or you can boot from the linux cd in rescue mode and cd /mnt/sysimage
touch .autorelabel

Then boot the from system and it will recreate the file security contexts for selinux.
Old 18th March 2007, 11:31 AM
n0-0ne Offline

@stevea
of course I changed all the fstab and grub.conf to point t the righr partition ,an also let grub to take its conf from the new partition.
any way I couldn't even login as root to see which paartitions were mounted.

@ JEO
added selinux=0 to the kernel command , and now the X login worked .
all the partitions are mounted correctly , but I still get the httpd , error at startup.
also I couldn't connect to the internet.
my wirless setting are originally dodgy but worked.
but running wpa_supplicant at the new filesystem seems to be working ok, but the connection doesn't work.
also just affter running it wpa_cli can connect to wpa_supplicant with no problem , but if I access it about 30 sec later wpa_cli can't connect to wpa_supplicant even tho running "ps" shows its still running.
ican also run another wpa_supplicant when the other is running , which is something I can't do when everything working fine
Old 18th March 2007, 09:02 PM
JEO Offline

For the httpd error, it sounds like a permissions problem with some www folder in your home directory. Search the forum I have seen this error before and there is a solution.

As far as your wireless you might do a complete reinstall of your wireless driver and if that doesn't fix it start a new thread on that topic.

Tags
anew , fc6 , filesystem , moving , partition , root