Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:12 AM
Chuck Crisler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
virtual box and linux containers

I am running Fedora 23 as a host and VirtualBox 5.0.14 with Windows 10 as a guest. Windows runs well. I was thinking about trying out LXC, partially to get a wider experience but also because I want to run some servers and would like to try them in containers. I know that it really isn't necessary in this small case but in some circumstances it does make sense and I would like the experience. So, my question is: can I run a VIrtualBox VM concurrently with LXC on a single host (assuming that the system has the resources)?

Thank you in advance for comments.

Chuck Crisler
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:16 AM
Nednet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: virtual box and linux containers

Hi,

I don't see why you couldn't. I personally run a Win7-raw VM permanently and regularly try any kind of distros or OSs in other VDI based VMs, all that in my Fedora 23 host (as you say, the limit is what can handle the host in terms of ressources like RAM & CPU).
The only tricky part may be in the fact that you want to test server distros, so you'll maybe have to use bridge mode for network instead of NAT, but I can't say more since I'm not very skilled in network stuff.

Just have a try : installing a VM is really a quick operation, that usually takes less than 30 mns.

HTH
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:20 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: virtual box and linux containers

Yes you can, containers are very efficient in terms of using resources and since systemd integration it made it even more efficient. You can use systemd to manage containers, although there exist some other tools as well.

Tags
box, containers, linux, linuxcontainers, virtual, virtualbox