Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2017, 04:32 AM
NBZ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
RPMFusion Vs UnitedRPMs

I know that a few months ago another repository started up called UnitedRPMs, but the previous "best practice" was to use RPMFusion.

Has this changed or is it still the same? Or do the repositories have different purposes?
Old 16th July 2017, 05:38 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome
Re: RPMFusion Vs UnitedRPMs

I like this phrase:
"WE MAINTAIN THE MULTIMEDIA CODECS AND OTHER SOFTWARE AND ADDONS WHICH ARE MISSING IN THE OFFICIAL FEDORA REPOSITORIES. PLAY AND WORK WITH MULTIMEDIA, USE THE WEB WITHOUT PROBLEMS." ,since Fedy doesn't yet work on Fed26.
Old 16th July 2017, 11:14 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBZ View Post
I know that a few months ago another repository started up called UnitedRPMs, but the previous "best practice" was to use RPMFusion.

Has this changed or is it still the same? Or do the repositories have different purposes?
they have the same purpose. in my opinion the same best practise still applies. It's a case of better the devil you know though.

fedy not working isn't that a big deal as it is easy enough to install the extras anyhow.
Old 16th July 2017, 02:13 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

If you don't need UnitedRPMs use RPMFusion. I think UnitedRPMs has some extra packages, but RPMFusion have some greater expertise, most of the people maintaining packages for official repoes are also behind RPMFusion so fewer collisions are possible. There were times when RPMFusion was undergoing a infrastructure reorganizing, so it was lagging behind with packages for few Fedora releases, but that should not be an issue anymore.

In any case use only one or the other, these two are not compatible.

Tags
rpmfusion, unitedrpms