Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:23 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: VLC broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
Hm, so what was your previous video output setting?
To me, by far the best results in VLC are Opengl (XCB) output with NO hardware acceleration in the input/codecs section, otherwise it may freak out.
XVideo is old and may also introduce tearing.

Nvidia blob has proper XVideo sync per-monitor, but other drivers don't. They usually require tinkering with xorg config, Intel e.g. Unless Intel's drivers defaults are now more friendly in this regard, I don't know. And I have zero clue for AMD.
Maryyy
Mine was set to Automatic, as mentioned in the Post. I have several machines which started to act up and they all have recovered (they also were set to Automatic). Interestingly I do have an Acer Laptop, which has yet to require any fix, even though it has been 'upgraded' regularly. I will give 'Opengl (XCB)' a go and see how it performs. Thanks for the 'tip'.
I am not sure if any have Nvidia but I have never specifically installed the 'Nvidia blob', as far as I am aware.

PS: Tried OpenGL(XCB) and it froze the Video, so I reverted
MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666

Last edited by robertdaleweir; 22nd March 2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:08 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

It seems that each VLC update on my machine has set the video back to automatic, which caused it to use VDPAU. Well, VDPAU doesn't work too well on Intel. But, each time, I changed it, and VLC workd fine. I haven't really had issues using VLC on F25. But then again, I am also using Xfce running under X. Not even thinking about using Wayland yet.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:53 PM
ov10fac Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
Hm, so what was your previous video output setting?
To me, by far the best results in VLC are Opengl (XCB) output with NO hardware acceleration in the input/codecs section, otherwise it may freak out.
XVideo is old and may also introduce tearing.

Nvidia blob has proper XVideo sync per-monitor, but other drivers don't. They usually require tinkering with xorg config, Intel e.g. Unless Intel's drivers defaults are now more friendly in this regard, I don't know. And I have zero clue for AMD.
To be honest, I just loaded it and used it. Never even looked at the output settings, never had a need to. Right now I am ripping all my DVDs to my video server so I have a common repository that I can stream to anyplace in the house. Once I get done I will play with VLC a little more.
Old 5th May 2017, 05:53 AM
flgfish Offline

linuxfedorachrome

I had this same issue. The Negativo17 Handbrake install broke VLC. I worked around it by building Handbrake from source. It's pretty easy, and they have idiot-proof instructions on their website.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/...ild-linux.html

Seriously, it's nearly as quick to build as it is to install it with Fedy (what I assume most of the people here are using).
Old 5th May 2017, 06:56 AM
tankist02 Offline

macossafari

Same here - building Handbrake from sources is fast, easy and problem-free.
Old 5th May 2017, 08:57 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The feature creep of negativo's repos made me abandon them. I just need a simple drop-in, not something that replaces a ****load of libraries and installs cruft that I don't need (e.g., cuda crap).

Handbrake is now in the F26 RPMfusion repos so I simply installed it from there on my F25 system. This does make you end up with a VLC that is a bit buggy for certain media formats and it might break some stuff related to other libraries (like gstreamer) but so far nothing serious it seems and it should resolve itself when F26 is released.
Old 11th September 2017, 11:21 PM
computersavvy Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Thumbs up Re: VLC broken?

I have had the same problem with VLC refusing to play DVDs on a new Fedora 26 install.

I had already installed libdvdcss, vlc, and all the many codecs I routinely use.
VLC first refused to read the dvd. I then added myself to the cdrom group and it appeared to be trying to play but was giving errors (run from terminal) that seemed related to video drivers. The window was blinking and moving so fast it was almost impossible to click on the close button.

I had already disabled wayland and am running the xorg video manager since wayland causes mouse hangs/delays.

Then I found the reference earlier in this thread to the approach used by sparky68 on the videolan forum (posted here by robertdaleweir)
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic...137734#p453883
I found vlc was set to automatic by default and I switched it to XCB as suggested (I chose the "X11 Video Output (XCB)" instead of the "XVideo Output (XCB)" although both work for me. The DVDs now play properly.

Note 1: my PC uses the nouveau drivers.
Note 2: VLC was previously working perfectly in the same machine with my Fedora 25 install.
Note 3: HandBrake is installed and working as well as VLC -- both with the latest releases for F-26
Old 12th September 2017, 03:26 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I found vlc was set to automatic by default and I switched it to XCB as suggested (I chose the "X11 Video Output (XCB)"
I had those same symptions of a blinking and moving vlc but only changed the output video to X11 and that fixed it. I didn't have to alter the automatic setting.

Tags
broken, vlc