Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th June 2017, 02:14 PM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Wireless transfer of video and sound (Miracast ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
You need to be more specific on the source of the media (video/audio) you want to stream to the TV's and also mention if any of the TV's you have are "smart" TV's, that is, possibly with built-in DLNA/Upnp and/or wifi capabilities or not.

If you're talking about media files stored locally on your (potentially new) laptop running Linux, then a program such as mediatomb, which provides a dlna/upnp server, can stream content to any dlna/upnp client device connected on your home network wired or wireless. And if the TV doesn't have that built-in, then a hdmi plugin device such as chromecast, fire TV stick or roku can enable the TV to have that capability.

If you're talking about.. "I'm connected to my Netflix account in Firefox on my laptop watching a movie and want to stream that movie to the TV".... then that's a whole other can of worms.

And what about your wireless router? Does it have any dlna/upnp capabilities onboard? My Netgear dual-band router does (USB port and ReadyShare) and the Seagate NAS box connected to it can stream any media content (video/audio/photos) stored on it directly to the dual-band roku stick connected to the "not smart" TV in the living room on the 5Ghz band.

Edit: Looked into MiracleCast (libwfd) and yes, no code updates in the past three years. Thinking of cloning the the source with git on the desktop PC to see if the code will compile just for jollies.
Thanks for your detailed post. There is a reason why I wasn't specific - because I'd need everything.
1) Streaming live TV from my browser
2) Streaming from Online media libraries from my browser
3) Streaming downloaded movies, stored on the hard drive of the laptop - this is the easiest option - I can copy the movie to a USB stick and watch it directly on the TV
4) Streaming music (mp3 files), stored on the hard drive of the laptop

As for the TV - I didn't buy it yet, so I'll go for something really modern - a smart TV, supporting DLNA, DVB-T2, etc. Just all the latest tech.

And there are the wi-fi specs of the laptop, which I'm planning to get:

Wireless LAN - Yes
Wireless LAN Manufacturer - Killer

Thank you!
Old 5th June 2017, 07:53 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
There is a reason why I wasn't specific - because I'd need everything.
Well, I wouldn't get overly confident with accomplishing that in its entirety. You'll need to do a lot of online research on what's possible, how it all works, or doesn't work. Consider also that there is a lot of media streamed from the internet that has embedded drm, and whatever components you're using would need to be able to deal with that drm.

Which browser, and what it can or can't do, including built in capability or by way of an added extension. The device you're streaming to, and what it's capabilities are, whether it's a hdmi/wifi dongle of some sort or to the "smart" TV itself. So many variables, it's mind boggling.

Generally speaking, streaming media stored on the local network to the TV should be fairly easy and straight forward (via DLNA). But trying to get streaming stuff from in your browser to the TV would seem to present a myriad of potential pitfalls and obstacles. Again, research, research, research.

Lots of threads on this forum about the "Killer" wifi adapter. It would appear to use the chipset by Atheros, and in Fedora would use the ath10k driver and associated firmware bits.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:20 PM
flyingdutchman Online

macosfirefox

The Philips D Line advertising displays run Android. So you could stream your video with gstreamer and play it with VLC on the screen over wifi without having to run cables anywhere.
Old 5th June 2017, 10:24 PM
Chief1902 Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

What about plugging into tv small android-based device, cheap one like amazon firestick and installing vnc viewer on it? It's good solution for simple screen share I installed S905X chip based device for one of my clients and it works well for him to see what's going on on employee's pc. You wouldn't be able to stream movies obviously, but may work for simple tasks and multiple TV's.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:55 AM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

I was really amazed by your proposal till I've read that streaming movies won't be possible. But if it works as screen sharing, then why not ???
Also, I can buy an Android TV. In the end, the good thing is, that I didn't buy any hardware yet and I can open my eyes wide before buying (though for laptops I have a very narrow choice between only MSI and Acer, as no other manufacturer provides models with 4 memory slots and I will really need to up it one day to those phantastics 64 GB RAM :-) )

Poor employees of your Customer !! NO privacy nowadays :-(

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Well, I wouldn't get overly confident with accomplishing that in its entirety. You'll need to do a lot of online research on what's possible, how it all works, or doesn't work. Consider also that there is a lot of media streamed from the internet that has embedded drm, and whatever components you're using would need to be able to deal with that drm.

Which browser, and what it can or can't do, including built in capability or by way of an added extension. The device you're streaming to, and what it's capabilities are, whether it's a hdmi/wifi dongle of some sort or to the "smart" TV itself. So many variables, it's mind boggling.

Generally speaking, streaming media stored on the local network to the TV should be fairly easy and straight forward (via DLNA). But trying to get streaming stuff from in your browser to the TV would seem to present a myriad of potential pitfalls and obstacles. Again, research, research, research.

Lots of threads on this forum about the "Killer" wifi adapter. It would appear to use the chipset by Atheros, and in Fedora would use the ath10k driver and associated firmware bits.

Yes, you definitely have got a point with DRM, it was mentioned in (I guess your) earlier posts, so I was too slappy to answer that one as well - YES, there will definitely be DRM as well !!
Old 6th June 2017, 08:28 PM
Chief1902 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Well, it will stream movies, maybe even trough LAN or good WLAN it may work smooth, I wouldn't try to do any video stream over the cloud. I'm not sure, as I did not do any tests on that. Try to dig that topic, there may be also issues with video/sound stream, I don't know if there wouldn't be any lags or time shift between them.

During the weekend I may do a little test for you - I have RPi 3, I can try to stream some movies over VNC trough WLAN, and see how it works. It may save you some money and time. I don't know how RPi's hardware will behave, but I hope that this little monster will handle that task. I can't do it during this week because I'm at RHCSA training and exam on Friday, and there's a lot of learning on the way

Hey, don't worry about employees, it's not spy system but kind of special software dedicated for taxi companies, where info about drivers has to be shared and easy accessible for multiple teams, and TV with android device and VNC client was better solution than installing VNC on each user's PC
Old 6th June 2017, 09:00 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

four duplicate posts removed. please don't re-submit posts multiple times if they do not appear the first time as you will trigger forum anti-spam measures which places your posts in a moderation queue for review.
Old 6th June 2017, 09:32 PM
Chief1902 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Sorry about that, but don't know why my chromium kind of duplicate by default each post I submit, will look or solution in near future. (first two duplicates was because of my system bug, two another I had to post to take screenshot of forum prompt that it showed, as it was disappearing within a second and I couldn't read whole thing about moderator job to be done - sorry)

darkman - Lenovo P-series also have 4 ram slots, each up to 16 gigs of RAM. I'm personally amazed with quality of Lenovo mobile workstations.

Last edited by Chief1902; 6th June 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 6th June 2017, 09:55 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

theres' a known bug with Chromium browser and vBulletin. it is specific to the 'quick reply' button. I've encountered it myself before too. so when you post, please try and avoid using that button. instead use 'post reply' or 'go advanced'
Old 7th June 2017, 11:45 AM
darkman088 Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief1902 View Post
Well, it will stream movies, maybe even trough LAN or good WLAN it may work smooth, I wouldn't try to do any video stream over the cloud. I'm not sure, as I did not do any tests on that. Try to dig that topic, there may be also issues with video/sound stream, I don't know if there wouldn't be any lags or time shift between them.

During the weekend I may do a little test for you - I have RPi 3, I can try to stream some movies over VNC trough WLAN, and see how it works. It may save you some money and time. I don't know how RPi's hardware will behave, but I hope that this little monster will handle that task. I can't do it during this week because I'm at RHCSA training and exam on Friday, and there's a lot of learning on the way

Hey, don't worry about employees, it's not spy system but kind of special software dedicated for taxi companies, where info about drivers has to be shared and easy accessible for multiple teams, and TV with android device and VNC client was better solution than installing VNC on each user's PC
That would be really nice of yours, if you could test it and let me know.
Just I wanted to ask you, why are you mentioning some cloud ? I am not planning on having or using cloud...
Thanks again and good luck at the exam! I keep my fingers crossed
Old 11th June 2017, 10:23 PM
Chief1902 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Okay Darkman, so as I promised i tried to do some tests for you, but unfortunately I'm struggling with tigervnc-server configuration on my Fedora, at the beginning SELinux was blocking it, at this point I'm not sure what is wrong, but the service is not starting. I'll have to go a bit deeper or maybe anyone here can help?

Code:
23:15:21 [pbelzak@lenovo ~]$ systemctl status vncserver@:0.service
● vncserver@:0.service - Remote desktop service (VNC)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/vncserver@.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-06-11 23:15:21 CEST; 9s ago
  Process: 9551 ExecStart=/sbin/runuser -l pbelzak -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -geometry 1280x1024 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 9545 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/vncserver -kill %i (code=exited, status=2)

Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo systemd[1]: Starting Remote desktop service (VNC)...
Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo vncserver[9545]: Can't find file /home/pbelzak/.vnc/lenovo:0.pid
Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo systemd[1]: vncserver@:0.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo systemd[1]: Failed to start Remote desktop service (VNC).
Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo systemd[1]: vncserver@:0.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 11 23:15:21 lenovo systemd[1]: vncserver@:0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Obviously vncserver is looking for display PID file as stated in /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@.service, but i have no idea why it is not present or automatically created and what should be inside it so I can create it manually.

Tags
miracast , sound , transfer , video , wireless