Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th September 2017, 08:13 AM
SteveT Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
dnf system-upgrade FC24 to FC26 - lack of space in /

Good morning.
I have been upgrading a laptop from FC24 to FC26 via the dnf system-upgrade option.
I had a 14GB / partition that had about 4GB available (that's from recollection, as the space reported has now changed).
It seems that the download of FC26 took about 2.9GB, but then the install process needed another 2.9GB to complete the process. This caused the install process to fail with a lack of space in /.
To get around the issue, I copied the existing contents of system-upgrade (in /var/lib) to /home/dnf - and then removed system-upgrade and created it again as a sym link to the new /home/dnf. That then seemed to allow the upgrade to work fine.

The question then is have I missed a trick and is there a way to point dnf to a 'work area' for it to complete the upgrade process? I can't see one - I had hoped to point the upgrade to a USB stick or similar. I have a couple of other machines to upgrade and I don't like 'fiddling' things like upgrades
Old 7th September 2017, 09:03 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: dnf system-upgrade FC24 to FC26 - lack of space in /

clear out the contents of /var/cache (subfolders and files) but don't remove /var/cache itself and you will have more space. you won't break anything doing this since it is a temporary location and anything there will be recreated as needed by applications.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:05 AM
SteveT Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Antikythera,
Thanks for the advice, and I did clear cache (mainly that used by Packagekit) - but what I was looking for was a way to 'influence' where dnf placed its work files (as I have space on other partitions and, as I say, on external devices). Is there anything in the set up or config of DNF to alter where temp/work files are placed that you know of?
Old 7th September 2017, 11:15 AM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

I don't think there's a configuration option for it. You could create a dnf directory on some other filesystem and symlink it to /var/cache/dnf... however I haven't tried it and I'm not sure 100% it would work across the upgrade rebooting process, it should do but it's not tested.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:18 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

not that I can locate in man pages

Tags
dnf, fc24, fc26, lack, space, systemupgrade