Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:44 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: This is why you should not buy Asus !

same here, I preferred the old corded TrackMan Wheel but couldn't find a new condition direct replacement that wasn't silly money.
Old 28th August 2017, 05:26 AM
rclark Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Speaking of laptops, back in June I bought an on sale Dell which had 8GB and an I7-7500U, SSD in it. After bringing up Windoze to make sure it booted ok, I laid down the latest Linux Mint right over the top (felt good doing that BTW ) and ... everything worked. I can't find one think that isn't working (and is still working great). Wifi works much better than my older laptop. I was pleasantly surprised. As for the touchpad, we dislike it intensely. Finally I said enough is enough and I found a way to disable that, and now just use a wireless mouse with it. Not sure what brand Dell uses as the mainboard, but it sure is Linux friendly!
Old 28th August 2017, 08:10 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

with dell usually it is a foxconn board
Old 7th September 2017, 01:49 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Asus Zenbook UX305CA works out of the box with Fedora 26 KDE Plasma and Gnome. Note 'Suspend' also works in KDE Plasma which has made me very happy. The next time i buy a notebook i will try system76 or entroware (not sure if they will ship to australia).
Old 7th September 2017, 01:56 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

well this page is certainly interesting reading and not just for residents of Australia. It's a list of branded notebooks an Australian Vendor are providing with a choice of Linux OS installed

Tags
asus, buy