Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th November 2014, 02:42 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox
Duel booting Windows 7 or 8 and Linux in legacy mode (solved)

Duel booting windows and Linux in legacy mode (Error: Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.)

My HP Pavilion G6-2331TX came with Windows 8 preinstalled.

To boot into Fedora i need to press 'F9' on the keyboard to access the OS boot menu. I have found that UEFI as implemented in HP notebooks is incredibly frustrating.

If I don't press 'F9 on the keyboard in time, I end up in Windows 8. Yesterday i decided to install Windows 7 in legacy (MBR) mode rather in UEFI (GPT) partition mode to make duel booting a more simpler and elegant process.

Note i could have install Windows 8 in legacy mode as well instead of Windows 7.

The first step is to change the BIOS mode to legacy mode and repartition the hard disc with a MSDOS partition scheme. However when i attempted to install windows 7 i discovered that

Code:
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"
despite the BIOS being set to legacy mode. I checked to see if a BIOS update was available and it was so i updated. I had to reinstall windows 8 to do this.

After all this i tried to to reinstall Windows 7 and again the same problem occurred..

Eventually I found the solution to the problem. When installing Windows 7 or 8, the following message appears just after boot as we all know:

Code:
"Press any key to boot from CD or DVD".
After a few seconds the message will disappear and then reappear again in a slightly different part of the screen.

By pressing a key when the message appears during the second time, the Windows 7 installation disc will boot in legacy mode rather than in UEFI mode as it had done previously.

It's clear that the Windows7 installation media with Service Pack 1 is first set to boot in UEFI mode despite the BIOS mode being set to legacy mode.

Have a good day.

Last edited by jonathonp; 24th November 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Tags
booting, duel, legacy, linux, mode, solved, windows