Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th September 2017, 12:56 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Guidance on partitioning of HDD.

Quote:
Thanks for you reply. I am really curious to know if GPT partitioned HDD can be used with old BIOS PC.
There is absolutely no problem using GPT with BIOS firmware at least with Linux. In Linux this is called a BIOS/GPT boot. I have been doing it for years.

Quote:
Is it normal that some DATA partitions are GPT and others are MBR on same HDD?
This isn't possible on the same HDD.

Quote:
yes it can, you need a 2MB bios_boot partition at the start of the GPT layout.
The bios_boot partition can be anywhere on the disk, not just at the start. They are usually located just before the /boot partition or the / partition if /boot is just a directory.

In a mult-boot system there can be several bios_boot partitions. I have two with Centos 7 and Fedora 24 on one SSD.

Also a size of 1 MB will usually more than suffice as the standard core.img is only 27K. Even if you add modules you usually don't need more than 1 MB. The lvm module is only 8K.
Old 4th September 2017, 04:22 AM
solo2101 Offline

linuxchrome

Easy way to remember:
GPT you could have pretty much "unlimited" partitions and disks with a very large amount of terabytes of space. MBR only 4 (primary), and limited space.

MBR is old, if your computer only supports MBR, a GPT disk partition is a complete different and strange language for your computer...
Old 4th September 2017, 04:29 AM
solo2101 Offline

linuxchrome

And to answer your question about a BIOS having GPT. I think BIOS can only boot MBR. But the OS will be the one that determines compatibility.
Newer OS do know how to "speak" GPT.
Old 4th September 2017, 06:25 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Your favorite compay, MS created a MS partition table on that drive. Since you are scrubbing the drive, use gparted device action to create a new partition table of type gpt. Thereafter layout your partitions as before.

If you want to keep the ntfs data, then you will need to create logical partitions within the existing mbr tabled drive. Anaconda can do that for you as you may not be comfortable with doing it yourself, let anaconda do it's thing, and then shrink the oversized partitions. You may also do some relocating of same using gparted.

consider since it's ntfs data you want to keep, why not copy it to an external hard disk and then redo the drive as gpt.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 4th September 2017, 07:57 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
MBR is old, if your computer only supports MBR, a GPT disk partition is a complete different and strange language for your computer...
Actually BIOS firmware does not understand any type of partition tables, either older MBR or newer GPT. The 440 bytes of code in the MBR simply use C/H/S cylinder, head, sector addresses to load the second stage of the bootloader. It is the second and third stages of the bootloader that understand partitions and file formats.

Since BIOS firmware does not understand anything in the way of partitioning or file systems. BIOS firmware is not confused by GPT at all as it doesn't even understand MBR. I have been booting the computer I am now using with BIOS firmware and GPT formatting for 5.5 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition

Quote:
And to answer your question about a BIOS having GPT. I think BIOS can only boot MBR.
Please read the attached link.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:39 AM
ramzes777 Offline

windows_7chrome

I figured out what had happened: test disk had change partition table type, hence the confusion. At the moment its MBR but supposed to be GPT. When I attempted to install Lunux I could not create a partitioning scheme that I wanted - there are 3 primary partitions already on the disk (recovery). I would like to have 3 partitions for my Lunux. But having only 1 Primary that I can use is not ideal. I could put / on it and the swap file and /home on the logical extended (not even sure this is possible)

I want to convert it to GPT as it originally was. Also would be nice to know that recovery partition is working. So,
I will try to recover from recovery partition, if that does not work will create W10 boot DVD and try using tool that come with Windows to fix this.

If above does not work will try tool that rdknight suggested.

After that I will accommodate for Linux.

Lesson learned: to take a snip of how things were before repair attempted and use native disk tools for the OS to work with disks

Last edited by ramzes777; 5th September 2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 5th September 2017, 08:33 AM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome

If you have upgraded w8.1 -> w10 you may find your recovery is now hosed ( milage may vary)

If you wish to retain. W10 you will want to download the Creators Update ISO (v 1703) and either DD it to Usb stick or (usually easier to get booted) burn to dvd from a Linux live (fedora works well )

Once you have your windows install disk/stick made - use gparted to create your got partition scheme and then either blank off the drive or create an NTFS partition of your chosen size (100G is plenty) and install to that or install w10 to the whole drive then resize post install ( gparted or Windows tools are equally capable).

Good luck
Old 9th September 2017, 09:57 AM
ramzes777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I've ended up using Diskpart from W10 bootable USB to remove all partitions, clear it, convert to GPT type, format and partition. Installed Linux. All working well, but had to say bye to W8.1 recovery partitions and some data.

Tags
guidance, hdd, partitioning