Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th August 2017, 05:32 AM
luispa71 Offline

linuxchrome
How to improve Radeon HD 3000 performance

Hi,
I have a cheap Asus motherboard with an Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphic card, processor is a FX-8300 + 8GB RAM. I'm using Fedora 26 KDE spin. I do CAD and 3D work. Freecad runs smoothly, including rotating views and zoom in/out but Heekscad hangs for several seconds when I try to zoom in/out.

Why Radeon HD 3000 can't deal with solids in Heekscad but can do it with Freecad? Is there some way to solve it and/or to improve the video performance?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 30th August 2017, 11:27 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: How to improve Radeon HD 3000 performance

proprietary drivers for Fedora 26 aren't available for hardware that old. in fact, they from 2013 and only compatible with kernels up to 3.4

an option would be to see if there is a way to change the program settings or configuration to match freecad somehow as you are stuck with opensource drivers.

various contact methods at the bottom of the github page:

https://github.com/Heeks/heekscad
Old 30th August 2017, 02:28 PM
luispa71 Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you for your reply. Do you consider the Radeon HD 3000 is OK for that use? I'm not going to play games at Full HD/30FPS, just 3D modeling.
Old 30th August 2017, 04:02 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by luispa71 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Do you consider the Radeon HD 3000 is OK for that use? I'm not going to play games at Full HD/30FPS, just 3D modeling.
possibly but you won't get great 3D processing from it even with the maximum amount of shared RAM allocated in BIOS
Old 31st August 2017, 12:04 AM
luispa71 Offline

linuxchrome

Modest 3D processing will be fair enough but I can't even get that.
Old 31st August 2017, 09:12 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

then you may want to invest in a discrete card but that won't be plain sailing either. AMD are too slow compared to the development rate of Fedora and are pushing users to opensource as much as possible. the opensource drivers for AMD are great for 2D but hit and miss for 3D. this is why I use CentOS 7 with my own AMD R3 (Radeon 8400) hardware integrated into the Athlon 5350 SoC since I can use AMD proprietary drivers still which are no longer maintained by AMD.

Again, using CentOS with the Radeon 3000 wouldn't be an option because the kernels are too new still. They are using the 3.10 branch with backported security updates.

NVIDIA drivers are more readily available and packaged by a community group of maintainers in their third-party repository
Old 1st September 2017, 04:17 AM
luispa71 Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you very much again! I realized it's more a software issue than a hardware/drivers issue. As I originally mentioned heekscad takes ages for a simple zoom in/out while Freecad does it fast and smooth with the same file. Well, after a bit of testing I found Heekscad can also do that flawlessly if it's not in "Select Mode". Pan/Rotation/Zoom modes work as fast as expected but it seems there's something wrong with "Select Mode" when trying to do the same tasks. I measured the video resources consumption (radeontop) and it's not relevant when using Pan/Rotation/Zoom but it increases to around 90% when using "Select Mode" even doing nothing, also the entire GUI gets sluggish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170831_003431.png
Views:	9
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	27188
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170831_003452.png
Views:	11
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	27189

I guess there's something wrong with Heekscad which makes ot to demand lost of video resources when in "Select Mode". I already filled an issue in the Heekscad GitHub page.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:32 AM
pingwu Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
then you may want to invest in a discrete card but that won't be plain sailing either. AMD are too slow compared <snip>
I have an AMD FX8350 + RX 480 machine; Fedora 26 runs great on this system. (knock on wood!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I use CentOS 7 with my own AMD R3 (Radeon 8400) hardware integrated into the Athlon 5350 SoC
I am thinking about building a CentOS or Oracle Linux desktop system, at least as a VBox VM inside Fedora 26. Is there any tutorial for enabling CentOS to use Fedora repos? Thanks.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:38 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Not really, the only Fedora repository you can use with CentOS is the EPEL one. Apart from that some COPR resources.

I use Oracle VirtualBox to run Fedora 25 and 26.

To enable EPEL it is really easy
Code:
yum install epel-release
and you're done.

for COPR, follow the instructions provided on the COPR resource page, for example:

Code:
Installation Instructions

Install the repo file and do a 'yum update'.

rhel7/centos7:

wget https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/raveit65/Mate-GTK3/repo/epel-7/raveit65-Mate-GTK3-epel-7.repo

sudo cp raveit65-Mate-GTK3-epel-7.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/

sudo yum update
Old 3rd September 2017, 04:53 PM
luispa71 Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you for your replies. Back to the original post, the Radeon 3000 seems to be OK for the most I use to do with my computer. The problem seems to be specific to a certain view mode (Select Mode) of a certain application (Heekscad). I already started an issue in the project GitHub page. I guess there's a bug which pushes the video resources to a extreme situation which is beyond what the Radeon 3000 can deal with.
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:59 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I used to own similar onboard hardware in an old system but added in a PCI-E Radeon 3450 I found on eBay which I could use in Hybrid Crossfire mode with the onboard Graphics.

Tags
3000, improve, performance, radeon