Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2017, 08:40 PM
KonTab Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question network + NetworkManager

Hi,

I'm playing with fedora server on my old laptop. Right now I'm trying to set up a border router from my home network to the internet.

Laptop has two network cards - LAN and wireless. After clean install NetworkManager was in charge of all interfaces. That make WiFi work quite well. But I wanted to configure my LAN interface to static address and set up a DHCP server. I've found multiple tutorials how to set up interfaces with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipcfg-*** files and based on that configured my lan interface (enp8s0 - what happened to old good eth0 ?) and started network service (systemctl start network). And boom, WiFi stopped working.
I'm assuming network service doesn't like NetworkManager, since wlp2s0 (wireless interface) shows "disconnected" in nmcli dev status. enp8s0 is not managed by NM (NM_CONTROLLED = no)

Is there a way to convince network service not to touch wlp2s0 interface? Or maybe this is a different problem?
Old 12th October 2017, 12:58 PM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: network + NetworkManager

Usually one uses either network or NetworkManager, but not both. The reason, in my experience, is that NetworkManager tends to overwrite some config files. I only use network, but NetworkManager, as I understand it, is better at wifi, and it can also handle static addresses so far as my reading of it goes, so I'd be thinking about just using NetworkManager in your case.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:30 PM
KonTab Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: network + NetworkManager

I could, but I'll use network service at my "PRO" build (now I'm just testing various configurations) since there will be no wifi card.
But on the other hand, I can try and see what happens

Tags
dhcp , network , networkmanager , wifi , wireless