Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2010, 10:39 PM
jonnjonzzn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
VMware Workstation and Fedora 14

I've installed latest version of VMware Workstation and installation appeared to complete successfully on F14 with PAE kernel.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 as a guest with VMware Tools, all the latest MS patches, etc.

But the VM runs so slowly it is basically unusable. The primary problem appears to be with the disk i/o.

This a laptop with an i3 processor and 4GB of RAM. Plenty of hardware one would think. It has successfully run VirtualBox flawlessly for some time with same setup of host and client VM.

Any suggestions or success stories out there with a similar setup and usage of VMware Workstation?

-Mike
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:15 PM
jonnjonzzn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: VMware Workstation and Fedora 14

I solved my problem:

[root@acer-laptop ~]# vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

It never ran well at all and the modules were seemingly causing strange behavior elsewhere so off it went. System is back to normal. Would have been nice to be able to create VM's easily while off-line for our ESX environment but it didn't work for me on F14 or Ubuntu 10.10. Same behavior on both OS. Constant disk usage, unresponsiveness...

Maybe a new version will fix it but by then I'm afraid I'll be on F16.
Old 29th December 2010, 04:25 PM
fathaansari Offline

windows_7ie
Re: VMware Workstation and Fedora 14

It will be a great help if you give me the steps to install VMware workstation 7 on F14.

Tags
fedora , vmware , workstation