Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:31 PM
tootal2 Offline

Madwifi is locking up my computer

Im using a D-link dwa-552. Is there a fix for this?
Old 4th January 2009, 04:39 AM
nyjetshead Offline

What version of Fedora are you using?
You need to use draft N use ATH9K / which is built into F9 and F10 kernel.
Be advised it wont work at draft N speeds.

Last edited by nyjetshead; 4th January 2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 4th January 2009, 04:45 AM
tootal2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjetshead View Post
What version of Fedora are you using?
You need to use draft N uses ATH9K / which is built into F9 and F10 kernel.
Be advised it wont work at draft N speeds.
Im using federa 10 64-bit. it using driver ath-pci Can i remove madwifi?

Last edited by tootal2; 4th January 2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 4th January 2009, 05:12 AM
nyjetshead Offline

Yes, also check to see if you didn't blacklist ATH9K then reboot.
Old 4th January 2009, 06:25 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

nyjetshead, it won't work at N speeds? Darn, I was thinking of buying an N notebook.

BTW, if your nick refers to the team, I join you in disappointment. On the other hand, with a torn biceps tendon, I guess he did what he could. I'm kind of glad for Pennington though--mixed feelings.
Old 4th January 2009, 08:06 AM
tootal2 Offline

Quote:
Yes, also check to see if you didn't blacklist ATH9K then reboot.
Thanks i got it working but my network speed is stuck at 1mb/s. How do i fix that?
Old 4th January 2009, 02:29 PM
nyjetshead Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
nyjetshead, it won't work at N speeds? Darn, I was thinking of buying an N notebook.

BTW, if your nick refers to the team, I join you in disappointment. On the other hand, with a torn biceps tendon, I guess he did what he could. I'm kind of glad for Pennington though--mixed feelings.
ATH9K:
I went back to using my other Atheros Card due to the poor performance, the driver works but is very slow, ATH5K is much more mature and works quite well
ATH9K doesn't preform at G speeds for me, yes it gets stuck on 1MBPS, I'm sure that will change in the future as the driver is developed further.
I'm not sure if the N speed issue is related to the driver or some other software component.

J E T S
They played their super bowl in Tennessee!
Pennington... Glad to see him go he wont take the fish to the promised land he's a "hold the fort" kind of guy. I'm happy for him he's a great guy character wise he's a very smart system player not a big play guy.
Farve.... He certainly had a major roll in the meltdown injury is no excuse, the coaches were more to blame than anyone, they were'nt prepared (includes the Farve injury) and they didn't adjust in game on both sides of the ball very well!

Off topic a bit I guess...

Last edited by nyjetshead; 4th January 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 4th January 2009, 05:54 PM
tootal2 Offline

How can i use the ath5k instead of ath9k?

Quote:
ATH9K:
I went back to using my other Atheros Card due to the poor performance, the driver works but is very slow, ATH5K is much more mature and works quite well
ATH9K doesn't preform at G speeds for me, yes it gets stuck on 1MBPS, I'm sure that will change in the future as the driver is developed further.
I'm not sure if the N speed issue is related to the driver or some other software component.

J E T S
They played their super bowl in Tennessee!
Pennington... Glad to see him go he wont take the fish to the promised land he's a "hold the fort" kind of guy. I'm happy for him he's a great guy character wise he's a very smart system player not a big play guy.
Farve.... He certainly had a major roll in the meltdown injury is no excuse, the coaches were more to blame than anyone, they were'nt prepared (includes the Farve injury) and they didn't adjust in game on both sides of the ball very well!

Off topic a bit I guess...
Old 5th January 2009, 12:09 AM
normyzo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
How can i use the ath5k instead of ath9k?
You don't; your hardware is either supported by *one* of ath5k or ath9k, or it's not supported by the upstream Linux kernel. The kernel generally doesn't have multiple drivers that support the same devices, becuase that's redundant.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:10 AM
normyzo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Thanks i got it working but my network speed is stuck at 1mb/s. How do i fix that?
File a bug against the 'kernel' component in Bugzilla, and make sure you're using the latest kernel updates. Sounds like a rate scaling module problem, there have been a few recently upstream in the kernel.
Old 9th January 2009, 07:38 PM
tootal2 Offline

I stop using madwifi and ath9k and D-link dwa-552. I went back to using my wireless usb device.
Madwifi works but locks up the computer. ath9k works but a 1 mps and it still locks up my computer.

If i use a eathernet cable or the usb wireless my computer does not lockup.

When will this problem be fixed?

Tags
locking , madwifi