Un-Retired Administrator

windows_7chrome
Using a VPN

Anyone using a VPN on a home server?
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:00 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Using a VPN

For what it's worth, I only need to access one machine from work. I can do it with ssh and x2go client which gives almost local speed for an X environment.

If you're doing it for fun and learning, that's fine, but if you have specific needs, is there a reason that ssh and, if you need a GUI, x2go, won't work?

(Without knowing your situation, I'm sure there's lots of reasons why a VPN would be much better, but figured it's worth offering the easier suggestion.)
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:42 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_7chrome

I'm looking to access one machine at home from work. SSH and web server. I've used SSH many times without issue and could open that up again. It's the web server that is the issue. It got spammed very badly and often so I shut it down. I'm looking for alternatives for it. I may be looking in the wrong place for all I know.

Admittedly my inexperience with Apache web server and all of its intricacies are what allow the spam. I'd really like to use Apache and allow only one outside IP. That would be perfect.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:03 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

So you want to limit port 80 and possibly 443 to only one address? (Sorry, just making sure I understand what you want.) That is to go to www.bassinator.com, but not have anyone else go there?

If so, you could probably set it to just be accessible from the local host and use x2goclient on your work machine. So then, you could use x2goclient and access your home machine's desktop. Now you open a browser on home machine, type in localhost and you should see your web page.

I have a page on setting up x2go server and client--on CentOS, at least, all I had to do was install it on the server, and now from any client I can get in.

https://srobb.net/nxreplace.html

Or, (again, IF I understand what you want), just allow port 80 and 443 access from your job's subnet. That could possibly be done through your router (not sure about that though, and it would depend upon the brand of router) or with iptables. (I'm sure there's a firewalld way as well, but I haven't worked much with it.)
The other thing I wanted to say is that I'm not sure a VPN would be a bad idea, just that I've not set it up for a home server (only commercially, and there was a lot of stuff we had to do--also, it's on a FreeBSD server, and this was a few years ago, so can't offer much help.) Setting up a VPN might be far easier than I remember and might be the quickest way. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:55 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

Thanks Scott.
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:40 AM
jwmueller Offline

linuxchrome

It's been a while, but I've used OpenVPN in the past for getting in to my home system. As I recall, you can configure it for just a single user and set up a certificate so only clients with that certificate can connect.

Tags
vpn