Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 25/26 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 27th October 2016, 06:24 PM
User808 Offline

windows_7firefox
Can we mix setting of VPN from terminal & VPN setting by network manager?

Hi.

I achieved excellent setting & connection to VPN via terminal as following:

cd /etc/openvpn
sudo wget http://------------------------------ (to download configuration files)
sudo unzip configuration file.zip
sudo rm configuration file.zip
ls -l
sudo openvpn 'location'

It is very O.K

-------------------

Also, I try to use network manager AFTER REMOVE ABOVE SETTING as following:

cd /etc/openvpn
sudo rm -i * (to remove configuration files)

Then I set up VPN connection via Network manager & I connected to VPN & it is O.K 100% also.

------------------

My question is that: can I set up VPN connection using network manager while configuration files are still existing in etc/openvpn ? In other words, can I mix set up of VPN from terminal with VPN from network manager so as to be able to use any of the 2 ways (terminal or network manager) to connect to VPN at a time ? I mean so as to be able to connect to VPN by terminal today & connect to VPN by network manager tomorrow.

Note: please do not be confused: I do not mean to connect to VPN by both terminal & network manager at same moment. But I mean be able to connect by EITHER of 2 ways (terminal OR network manager) per single VPN session.

I ask help desk but they answer me: this beyond the scope of our support desk BUT IT IS POSSIBLE IN THEORY.

Please any one have data about this issue. I'm afraid from try & causing conifliction or damage.

Best

Last edited by User808; 30th October 2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:26 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Can we mix setting of VPN from terminal & VPN setting by network manager

a yup and you can connect the both simultaneously assuming the server permits concurrent connections, strange but wonderful routing doesn't get pushed, and your clients config doesn't ask for the same tun/tap adapter. tun0 for ex.,

wrt NetworkManager itself. Default selinux policy places your certs and keys in ~/.certs. NetworkManager use to be a prick and attempt to route all traffic through the tunnel and a check box somewhere which the dialogues exist to stop it.
Old 28th October 2016, 02:09 PM
User808 Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
1) a yup and you can connect the both simultaneously assuming the server permits concurrent connections, strange but wonderful routing doesn't get pushed, and your clients config doesn't ask for the same tun/tap adapter. tun0 for ex.,

2) wrt NetworkManager itself. Default selinux policy places your certs and keys in ~/.certs. NetworkManager use to be a prick and attempt to route all traffic through the tunnel and a check box somewhere which the dialogues exist to stop it.
1) regarding point (1), this idea was totaly out of my mind ! Really interesting ! This mean it will be as if you use 2 laptops by using one laptop ! I do not know. It will remain out of my interest. You have to try this ........... .

2) regarding point (2), I try to set VPN by using Network manager WHILE ALL CONFIGURATION FILES STILL INSIDE etc/openvpn INCLUDING ROOT CERTIFICATE. after finishing set up I try to connect to VPN using this VPN network manager setting (THERE WAS NO ANY CONNECTION TO VPN FROM TERMINAL DURING THIS TRAIL) but SELinux stand against this & stop connection from establishment saying that to connect you need to put root certificate in ~/.certs" what this mean?

a. I downloaded configuration files - for set up network manager - to directory I created located in my user home directory. Then during set up of network manager I brows it & selected from that directory home/username/directory. Is this the cause, or

b. the cause of this error is that other copy of same root certificate i existing in etc/openvpn ?

Please your kind help beaker.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:31 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

1. I'm not sure where you're going with this but, multiple concurrent connection with openvpn isn't anything special. I believe the real questions are: will your server permit simultaneous user connections, default is no; if it does, is it sane?

2. wrt NetworkManager, all your cert and keys should be under ~/.certs. /home/MyUserName/.certs or /home/MyUserName/.certs/SomeOtherDir for ex.,

I don't know what error you describe. Assumption made are: you own the files/cert/keys under ~/.certs and they have the correct selinux labels (selinux labelling should happen automatically on file copy). NM doesn't give a crap about the files under /etc/openvpn because you're using the files you've copied to ~/.certs and selinux will deny access to /etc/openvpn if it did.

Expected errors to occur are wrt NetworkManager's vpn setup and your client config. Compare the dialogues with your .conf (openvon client config).

Chances are your server has been configured not to accept simultaneous user connections so test with one at a time.

Tags
manager , mix , network , setting , terminal , vpn