Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st April 2017, 12:58 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox
Convince me to switch back to GNOME

I started using GNOME back when 3.8 was new (going on 4 years of using Linux), and I have used it avidly until I got hooked on KDE Plasma 5 last year. I keep thinking about some of the GNOME features I love and miss, but have troubles with what it's lacking. I want to use GNOME because of Wayland, my laptop can take advantage of the available gestures, Nextcloud integration (which is "available in KDE"), and sometimes I really find my productivity to be a lot greater when I use GNOME on my laptop.

But...here's why I don't want to use it:
*No rotating wallpapers
*The login screen has that ugly, now unchangeable distorted gray wallpaper
*Dark theme is a broken mess (This is my #1) with applications like LibreOffice and Firefox
*I love using Firefox Nightly, but the application bar keeps making vanilla Firefox icons when I launch new windows, and for some reason when I'd uninstall the repo version of Firefox, I couldn't get Nightly to work until I reinstalled it from the repos.

I'm itching to switch my laptop back to GNOME, but I need a nudge if anyone can help
Old 21st April 2017, 03:07 AM
gordon64

linuxfirefox
Re: Convince me to switch back to GNOME

well let me try to seduce with nightly FF

I run stable FF from unpack

http://imgur.com/a/M6Nie

when I open new tabs, I "never" try to open a new window of FF.....no extra icons appear.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:56 AM
gordon64

linuxfirefox

Quote:
The login screen has that ugly, now unchangeable distorted gray wallpaper
I don't spend any time on this screen to care.....
rant starts.....and you look like one of those people who get excited by wanting to change grub2 background image too

but the issue appears to be a possible bug

no noise-texture.png found on my system

read gnome-classic. css file under
/usr/share/gnome-shell
section
#lockDialogGroup {
Old 21st April 2017, 09:00 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon64 View Post
I don't spend any time on this screen to care.....
rant starts.....and you look like one of those people who get excited by wanting to change grub2 background image too

but the issue appears to be a possible bug

no noise-texture.png found on my system

read gnome-classic. css file under
/usr/share/gnome-shell
section
#lockDialogGroup {
You would be right about grub2 background back a year ago haha

From what I read about the login screen is they changed it to a binary and no configuration files. It used to be changeable GNOME 3.16 (and 3.18?) and earlier by simply putting your own image in there and naming it noise-texture.png. I tried a walkaround before with the new login screen but it failed. I do accept your point of you don't look at the login screen much, but I still like to customize that page!

Perhaps I will look into spinning up an image of GNOME from a flash drive...which leaves rotating wallpapers and a good dark theme. And not the global dark theme which ruins firefox/libreoffice. Suggestions? I haven't found a good one before
Old 21st April 2017, 02:42 PM
gordon64

linuxfirefox

most young people seem to own laptops unless they are a pure gamer.

my daily compute is tower so good dark themes are not my forte.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:40 AM
TruboXL Online

linuxfirefox

period you can use gsettings command inside your script to do fast set up for next reinstall...

unlike kde qt settings, where their settings file do not get initiated unless you touch GUI settings...

also been using mozilla central nightly for a period now, fairly stable regardless what DE you are using...
Old 24th April 2017, 08:51 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
You would be right about grub2 background back a year ago haha

From what I read about the login screen is they changed it to a binary and no configuration files. It used to be changeable GNOME 3.16 (and 3.18?) and earlier by simply putting your own image in there and naming it noise-texture.png. I tried a walkaround before with the new login screen but it failed. I do accept your point of you don't look at the login screen much, but I still like to customize that page!

Perhaps I will look into spinning up an image of GNOME from a flash drive...which leaves rotating wallpapers and a good dark theme. And not the global dark theme which ruins firefox/libreoffice. Suggestions? I haven't found a good one before
arc dark GTK+3 seems okay but I haven't spent that much time with it. I just used it to see what it was like for a couple of days before missing my usual blue-submarine setup. arc is available from the fedora repositories these days, as are numix theme and numix icon themes
Old 24th April 2017, 07:46 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For Rotating wallpapers, if you mean, that wallpapers change on a schedule, then yes, with Gnome TweakTools, Desktop
there is an xml that can be used or you can use the attached script that generates an xml file

Edit the shell script to change the duration that you want for rotation,
use the first entry as a valid or xml file name,
I do a ./makexml.sh leslie /usr/share/backgrounds/leslie/extras
and I use 12 hrs for a rotation timeout.
The xml file is written to /tmp.

Look at the xml file and if it is OK, put it where the gnome tweaktool Desktop setting can read it.
Attached Files
File Type: sh makexml.sh (9.5 KB, 23 views)

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 24th April 2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: provide more info
Old 25th April 2017, 02:46 AM
PhyChm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I could not convince you to switch back to Gnome personally. Tweak Tools on Gnome stopped working for me on the newer Kernels, Redshift stopped as well, a feature I dearly loved and I will seriously miss or at least until it ends up on KDE.

I outlined in a short review of Fedora Scientific - (Fedora KDE Scientific As seen by a Physical Chemist) what I personally think of KDE.

To sum it up, I find bending KDE to my needs easier, which can be somewhat daunting to some, KMail for example is far more tunable than other platforms I've used, which caused issues at first. But in the end, I think KDE is more pleasing graphically, and I like the level of tweaking/customization I can do.

But outright without touching anything I have found less broken items with KDE than with Gnome on Fedora 25. I don't know why.
Old 25th April 2017, 06:41 AM
gordon64

linuxfirefox

AFAIK redshift only works on Gnome on Xorg.

offtopic
I find KDE bloated but if its bloated I have to accept Gnome is leaning that way.If only I could get Enlightenment to run on Wayland.
Old 25th April 2017, 11:51 AM
thunderogg Offline

linuxfirefox

lsatenstein: Thanks for the script. Nice job! :-)
Old 25th April 2017, 06:55 PM
thunderogg Offline

linuxfirefox

lsatenstein: Got some error messages:

Code:
./makexml.sh: line 119: [: too many arguments
so I changed line 119 from

Code:
if [ ! -e $i ] ; then
to
Code:
if [ ! -e "$i" ] ; then
Now it runs fine.
Old 26th April 2017, 04:26 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks ThunderOgg. I will test again with the changes. Wierd, I never got any Warnings w f25 or F26.

It looks From the error message that a spurious : got uploaded right after the [ on that line.

By the way, my version runs without any diagnostics.

Here is something I also do.

I copy the xml file to a second name for example, leslie-timed.xml ==>LeslieBG-timed.xml

What I do in the latter file is copy 20 entries to the end, (A rotation of the list of pngs/Jpegs)
I use the renamed file for the 2nd desktop timed entry.

Question
Did you remain with 12 hrs, or did you choose a shorter time inteval?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 26th April 2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:43 AM
thunderogg Offline

linuxfirefox

Isatenstein: I used the original time interval. Instead of placing the .xlm files in "/usr/share/background/", I place them in the root of my wallpaper folder (what you call DIR in your script). That way I can easily switch between xlm files and .jpg and .png files if I want, since they are almost at the same place. I synchronize my data to the computer I use at the moment, the notebook or the desktop, Placing the xlm files among the data will keep them always up-to-date.
Oh, I forgot to tell you, I run Debian Stretch at the moment. Maybe that's why I got these errors and you didn't.
Old 27th April 2017, 08:43 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Isatenstein: I will try your script thank you for sharing that

gordon64: I love using my tower more than my laptop, I always use the power for gaming, code compiling, VMs, multimedia. Laptop is just a very nice on the go, basic VMs and my school work, and using it to manage my servers quick and on the fly. I just found in the past that I loved how GNOME handled on laptops, which is what I miss. As for redshift, never tried it on GNOME, but I'd be curious to see if the integrated Redshift that will be in GNOME 3.24 will be Wayland compatible. Lastly, I'm kind of surprised you found KDE to be more bloated on your machine. I'd say I use the same amount of memory on my desktop with KDE vs GNOME, but my laptop is using much less memory (sits at around 600mb)

PhyChm - I have been using Redshift on KDE for many months now actually without an issue