Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 3rd August 2016, 10:47 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Unhappy The easy way out...

My Fujitsu notebook's EUFI and Secureboot implementation is seemingly an incompatible combination with Fedora 24 causing intermittent bricking of the Fedora EUFI entry. It has worked flawlessly with F22 and F23. I don't have the time or inclination to chase this particular problem at present so I have taken the easy way out which still enables me to get my Fedora 'fix'.

I've given up completely with Linux bare metal installation on my notebook because of the EUFI issues (other Linux OS tested worked fine but I don't want to use them long term) and re-partitioned to just run Linux inside a VM hosted by Windows 8.1 instead.

The notebook has an i3-3110m with two physical cores and hyper-threading so the host OS thinks it is quad-core. I've allocated two cores in the VM setup and 4GB of the 16GB RAM I installed. Consequently this has no noticeable impact on the performance of Windows. I can switch back and forth to use both without any issues. Since I used the F24 install media to test the nail gun over the weekend I set the machine up with F23 media and will attempt an upgrade using dnf shortly. Hardware virtualisation is enabled in BIOS and works flawlessly, even 2D and 3D video. The latest version of VirtualBox 5.1.2 contains massive improvements and much better support for the latest Xorg.

It is a relatively painless process to use a VM anyway. VirtualBox comes with presets for most major distributions. I just disabled remote video and changed the CPU cores and RAM settings. I've also specified a dynamic HDD with a 60GB limit (they suggest 8GB) which is deliberately high. I reckon it will max out at around 25GB anyway since that is roughly the space my normal install occupies along with user data.

To use Guest Additions, you need to compile kernel modules which it does for you with an automated script. dependencies needed are kernel-devel, kernel-headers, gcc, make and perl installed. perl was present in the clean MATE install but the others were not.

The VM runs very well at native screen resolution. I haven't configured bluetooth as yet but since I can transfer files from the host to the guest with a one way share as necessary it isn't essential to do so since I can use Windows to interact with the phone.

Old 3rd August 2016, 01:28 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: The easy way out...

This is something I do at work where I have a Windows 7 system assigned. I run Fedora VM using virtualbox on that system for some data analysis work.

Something I noticed in your screenshot above is that you do not have any shared folders enabled. Assuming it's unintentional - here is a suggestion.

If you enable shared folders, you can copy between the host and guest without any hassle whatsoever. In Fedora, add your user account to vboxsf group and you should have rw permissions.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 3rd August 2016, 02:05 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Thanks for the useful info. I've deliberately shared folders off to avoid anything slipping through the security net from either system that shouldn't.

F24 is now up and running after a hassle free upgrade and cleanup of a few F23 kernel leftovers. I've added raveit65's copr repo for yumex and updated that too before purging yumex-dnf, so all is well in F24 for now
Old 4th August 2016, 10:45 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

I use shared folders, but only in RO mode, from host to guest. It's quite handy and unlike e.g. USB passthrough, works w/o hassle, as no filters for specific device have to be properly set etc.

As for those presets, I don't really think they are presets in terms of applying some specific stuff properly.
From what I tried, it just selects kernel and usually very low amount of RAM.
So I just do it all manually and I'm sure I have what I want.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:09 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Indeed, the presets aren't ideal for all setups. Kernel selection? not sure what you are referring to as the host is Windows. It can't know what the kernel will be for Fedora until I run anaconda from the install media, only whether it will be 32-bit or 64-bit as specified during the creation of the VM using the wizard. With my AMD system I do the same and set everything manually because the hardware presets give poor performance. In this instance it is all Intel hardware so the value tweaks to the preset are sufficient.

I'm tempted by read only mode shared folders for host to guest.
Old 5th August 2016, 09:46 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Ah, yes, sorry. By kernel, I mean just the generic from the list, like 2.6.x_x86_64 etc, as most VMs I have are Linux based. Of course, if Windows is as a guest, one just selects the OS version directly.
Old 19th June 2017, 10:17 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

guess what reared it's ugly head again last night with Fedora 25 and a fully updated grub2 EFI package set...

yep, I should have kept it in VM

EDIT - moved Fedora bare metal back to the usb3 sandisk ultra fit thumb drive with it's own EFI partition. That way I can shutdown and unplug it before booting W8.1 or vice versa so that neither OS can screw up the other.

downsides - fedora now runs as fast as the old mechanical HDD installation rather than having the SSD speed benefit. The USB drive is losable because of it's size and it also gets fairly hot in use. So I've changed the internal fan profile from silent to normal (it isn't that loud anyhow) for the notebook as well as using a Targus Chill Mat to aid with cooling.