Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha - Beta (Fedora 9 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha - Beta (Fedora 9 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 19th May 2008, 12:52 AM
Karmaflute Offline

User switching is still now working:

Quote:
Unable to start new display

The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was no provided by any .service files
Also when installing the rpm I get this error but it still completes:

Quote:
Running Transaction
Installing dkms
error: failed to stat /root/.gvfs: Transport endpoint is not connected
Edit:

I rebooted and user switching works now! I think that's everything.

Thank you for this wonderful guide. Now I can use Fedora 9 on my notebook with full features.

Last edited by Karmaflute; 19th May 2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 19th May 2008, 01:54 AM
soltanis Offline

Thanks a lot.

I almost got through, but I use a funny wireless router, so when I switched to runlevel 3 I realized my internet had cut out. I plugged in a direct ethernet cable. For some reason though, at the step where you reinstall the mesa drivers even that connection would cut out and yum would complain about not being able to download from any of the mirrors.

I was forced to reverse my changes there and reinstall the new xserver.

Is there any way I can download all those files you have listed locally so that when I switch runlevels next time I try (which I will) I don't get bogged down by connection woes?
Old 19th May 2008, 01:59 AM
Karmaflute Offline

I should also mention that the 173.08 rpm did not install correctly. After installing I and trying to run X Server I got this error:

Code:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Enabling PCI device
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly. 
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
I uninstalled the rpm and installed the NVIDIA .run driver and everything went fine from there.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:00 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltanis
Thanks a lot.

I almost got through, but I use a funny wireless router, so when I switched to runlevel 3 I realized my internet had cut out. I plugged in a direct ethernet cable. For some reason though, at the step where you reinstall the mesa drivers even that connection would cut out and yum would complain about not being able to download from any of the mirrors.

Is there any way I can download all those files you have listed locally so that when I switch runlevels next time I try (which I will) I don't get bogged down by connection woes?

Try this guide as there is no need to init 3

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...29&postcount=2
Old 19th May 2008, 02:04 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmaflute
I should also mention that the 173.08 rpm did not install correctly. After installing I and trying to run X Server I got this error:

Code:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Enabling PCI device
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly. 
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
I uninstalled the rpm and installed the NVIDIA .run driver and everything went fine from there.

This error has nothing to do with the dkms driver and can be ignored !

Code:
Running Transaction
Installing dkms
error: failed to stat /root/.gvfs: Transport endpoint is not connected 

You need to reboot to complete the dkms driver install !
Old 19th May 2008, 03:05 AM
lottc Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltanis
Thanks a lot.

It seems several people are having an issue with the connectivity with Init 3... And thinking about, I realize why... Init3, by definition, should allow multi-user console access with networking enabled. The reasoning behind switching to Init3 while doing all this work is to not be running The Xserver service while we are dismantling it.... NetworkManager may be having an adverse reaction and causing the network come-down.

I will be running a few test scenarios to see if we can't provide a better solution.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:08 AM
Muhahahahaz Offline

Yeah, but only wired networking, because secured wireless only connects after graphically logging in.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:12 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottc
It seems several people are having an issue with the connectivity with Init 3... And thinking about, I realize why... Init3, by definition, should allow multi-user console access with networking enabled. The reasoning behind switching to Init3 while doing all this work is to not be running The Xserver service while we are dismantling it.... NetworkManager may be having an adverse reaction and causing the network come-down.

I will be running a few test scenarios to see if we can't provide a better solution.

You don't need to init 3 till you need to install the nvidia driver ! ( by this time all the downloading is complete and the network is no longer needed ! )

Code:
yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"
yum -y install kernel-devel

cd /usr/src
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.08/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
init 3 
Login as root and install the driver

Code:
cd /usr/src
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run

Last edited by leigh123linux; 19th May 2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:19 AM
lottc Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahahaz
Ok, so I finally got it working. I was able to remove the beta Xorg, and install Xorg 1.3 without doing "init 3" first. (I only had to "init 3" to install the Nvidia drivers.) However, the "groupinstall" does NOT install xorg-x11-server-Xorg for me, so I also had to install that FIRST. Next, when I do the groupinstall, it installs a lot of xorg stuff, rather than just a few dumb fonts (most of which I don't need) like it apparently did before.

Thanks for the info. Please add "yum -y install xorg-x11-server-Xorg" before the groupinstall, otherwise it looks like Xorg 1.3 may not be installed properly (and if you only have wireless like me, then you're screwed and you have to reinstall).

Also note that for whatever reason you MUST use Nvidia's latest beta driver. I guess that may have been implied, but I didn't see any particular reason why I would want to specifically use their beta driver (except that I apparently have to). I tried their latest non-beta, but it gave some error when trying to compile the module, so I tried the beta, which I had also downloaded, and that worked.
The Fedora 8 comps.xml (Yum group definition) says otherwise.
Code:
<group>
  <id>base-x</id>
  <name>X Window System</name>
  <packagereq type="mandatory">xorg-x11-server-Xorg</packagereq>
</group>
I will be doing some more testing to verify any issues that people are having.

Regarding the use of the Nvidia Beta. Any Nvidia driver that worked with F8 should work with this configuration. The reason for using 173.08 is so that users with the new 9000 series Nvidia cards can also use 3D.

The reason to use Xorg 1.3 at all is so that 3D, Compiz via Composite and gaming will work...as Nvidia has declared that they will not be supporting the Xorg 1.4 pre-releases.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:25 AM
Muhahahahaz Offline

Yeah, sorry. I'm not sure what happened. It's possible that I just did something wrong, lol. At least I have it working now.

My main reason for using the Nvidia driver was just so that I could set the proper resolutions on my displays. It seems like nvidia-settings is the only way to get that done. I don't usually use 3D in Linux, but having Compiz is a nice extra.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:48 AM
lottc Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpik
Are you absolutely sure on this? What makes you think that Fedora would not include the released xorg in the updates?
I'm not entirely certain that Fedora will not eventually include Xorg 1.5 when it is released.

I know from experience that they traditionally do not jump major version releases in packages once a development freeze is put in place on the release. This obviously has its good points since they can without a doubt ensure cross-compatibility between packages. They will probably take any security enhancements to Xserver 1.5 and apply the patches to the 1.4 tree...similarly to what they current do with kernel releases. (Ie your 2.6.25 kernel undoubtedly has 2.6.26 patches).

The reason Nvidia gave for not supporting Xserver 1.4 is that the video driver ABI has not stabilised. And if there are further changes to this ABI, Fedora will most likely not include those in any further release as it could cause havoc with other video drivers.

RANT ALERT:
It is my opinion that Fedora made a mistake with the decision of the Xorg Xserver 1.4 inclusion. There should have been more discussion between the Fedora development team and Nvidia to ensure compatibility at the release date. They are not the only ones with this issue as Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) also uses the 1.4 release. F9 as a whole is great, but little things like missing 3D on one of the widest used video cards is what fuels Steve Balmers' bashing of GNU/Linux... My intent here is not to bash Fedora, they have done a great job and I have been using Redhat since the initial Halloween release, but to help users having problems. I do hope they (Fedora) read this post and realize that they have just stubbed their collective toe.

-Lott
Old 19th May 2008, 04:02 AM
Karmaflute Offline

For both my friend and I who have reverted Xorg, all rpm installations fail!

The console output even while logged in under root is "Permission Denied".

Can anyone else install RPMs?
Old 19th May 2008, 04:06 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
For both my friend and I who have reverted Xorg, all rpm installations fail!

The console output even while logged in under root is "Permission Denied".

Can anyone else install RPMs?
Did you use the rpm's from post #9 ?

I have removed the links in post #2 as the freshrpms drivers are known to be incomplete ! ( they have a missing lib as mentioned in post #7 & 8 ) and replaced them with drivers that I built and know to be fully functional !

Last edited by leigh123linux; 19th May 2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 19th May 2008, 04:10 AM
Karmaflute Offline

I rebooted and logged in under root and this is the error I get when trying to run an RPM with Package Installer:

Quote:
Failed to install

You don't have the necessary privileges to install local packages
But.. I'm root!
Old 19th May 2008, 04:18 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
I rebooted and logged in under root and this is the error I get when trying to run an RPM with Package Installer:

But.. I'm root!
You have other issues with package management / PolicyKit .
If you had used post #9 you wouldn't have got this error !

Last edited by leigh123linux; 19th May 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Tags
fedora, nvidia, opengl