Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st November 2006, 10:31 PM
akbowbender Offline

nVidia - no opengl after upgrade to FC6

I forgot to uninstall the nvidia installer built driver before upgrading to FC6, so the opengl files that the installer replaced on my system were not restored. I found this out when I installed the nvidia driver from Livna, which worked fine in 2D, but restarted X when I tried to run Blender or BZFlag.

I have tried using the nvidia installer, but it complains that it can't find the kernel source, even though I have kernel-devel installed for the running kernel.

Not sure which way to jump. Guess I would like to use the livna driver so I won't have this problem in the future, but I'm not sure what needs to be reinstalled to get the standard opengl files back.
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:41 AM
akbowbender Offline

Figured out the kernel-devel problem. The upgrade gave me an i586 kernel with an i686 devel package. I have an Athlon XP 1600, so I will switch to the i686 kernel and try to install the driver from nVidia.
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:33 AM
akbowbender Offline

Just for everyone's info: I got the kernel and kernel-devel on the same wavelength, but how a bug in the nvidia installer prevents the module finishing the compile. Installed kmod-nvidia again just to see if it would work now, but X still restarts if I try to run Blender or BZFlag.

P.S. Fun having this thread all to myself.....

Tags
fc6, nvidia, opengl, upgrade