Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th February 2016, 10:19 AM
Linefader Offline

macossafari
Installing F23 on Lenovo P50

Hello, I want to install Fedora 23 on my new Lenovo P50.

Has anybody ever installed Fedora on this Laptop?
I've read, there are some issues with using Ubuntu (Audio/Headphone-Jack, UEFI, etc.). Are there similar experiences with Fedora?

If there is something I need to take special care for, please let me know.
I am planning to get rid of Windows 10 and use only Linux on this laptop.
If you could point me to a good step-by-step guide for an installation that works, I'ld be quite happy. Thanks in advance!
Old 10th February 2016, 10:59 AM
unixer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Installing F23 on Lenovo P50

I would advise you the same advice for this one as for the HP Spectre X2 -> dual boot first.
no matter what you see people having troubles with ubuntu, that does not mean you're going to have it and with fedora.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:07 AM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

okay, I'll follow this guide now for the Lenovo and for the Spectre (or do you have a better recommendation?).

Once I have Fedora up and running, I can still delete Windows 10 and repartition my hard disc to use all available storage for Linux, correct?
Old 1st March 2016, 04:44 PM
phoeven Offline

macoschrome

I'm waiting for the P50 order at the moment and looking into dual boot as well. For this, I ordered an additional ssd for this. There are plenty of slots available in the P50.
A bit of topic, however I'm planning to run openstack on the Fedora install, so if anybody have any findings with this config (Lenovo P50 / Fedora 23 / OpenStack), i.e. any issues with the hypervisor, could you please share?
Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:12 PM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeven View Post
I'm waiting for the P50 order at the moment ..
.. mine is still "on order" as well ..
Old 4th March 2016, 10:06 AM
phoeven Offline

macoschrome

The certification process of redhat enterprise has just been completed:
https://access.redhat.com/content/2178771
Old 9th March 2016, 08:44 PM
phoeven Offline

macoschrome

Here's some more information on the certification from Lenovo:
https://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/pro...parts/PD104097

And explanation what is tested during the certification:
https://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/documents/ht082374

The site mentions the following possible problems:

Known problem areas and problems experienced in the past have been:
Wireless support - drivers have not been provided for many wireless cards
High-end video (3D acceleration for example) - basic video function typically works
Certain implementations of Ethernet
Power management - suspend/hibernation has been a problem area in the past
Modems - driver support
Mice - optical mice may not be supported by current mice suppliers
Audio - problems in the past have been related to the core chipsets (some chipsets support Linux and some do not)
Access IBM button - can define a program to launch, but no Access IBM
Rapid Restore PC (Rescue and Recovery)
Access Connections

So I would expect some upcoming problems with the 4K version, the wifi and audio.
Old 17th March 2016, 11:35 PM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

Has Anybody successfully installed Fedora 23 on this laptop so far? Mine arrive today, but I did not succeed. I downloaded the Fedora 23 Workstation Release and created a bootable USB stick with the Universal USB Installer utility. After configuring the BIOS to boot from non-UEFI devices, I could boot into the Start Fedora Live Menu. But when I select start, all I see is a blinking cursor and no progress. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 18th March 2016, 08:33 PM
Linefader Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I am still stuck: after downloading another Spin (XFCE) and storing it on another stick, I could boot into the Live Media System (for some reason, only in Basic Graphic Mode - otherwise the screen remained blank). Using the Live Media System I removed Windows and successfully installed Fedora 23. However, I cannot boot the newly installed system.
The P50 does not boot from the local hard disk anymore: I can only go into the BIOS Menu or into the Boot Manager. From the Boot Manager, I can boot the Live Media from USB again. But when I select the local hard disk the screen goes blank for a second and then, the Boot Manager opens again. I have Secure Boot disabled and set UEFI/Legacy Boot to BOTH+Legacy first. What might be wrong?
Old 19th March 2016, 08:14 AM
ash81 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linefader View Post
I am still stuck: after downloading another Spin (XFCE) and storing it on another stick, I could boot into the Live Media System (for some reason, only in Basic Graphic Mode - otherwise the screen remained blank). Using the Live Media System I removed Windows and successfully installed Fedora 23. However, I cannot boot the newly installed system.
The P50 does not boot from the local hard disk anymore: I can only go into the BIOS Menu or into the Boot Manager. From the Boot Manager, I can boot the Live Media from USB again. But when I select the local hard disk the screen goes blank for a second and then, the Boot Manager opens again. I have Secure Boot disabled and set UEFI/Legacy Boot to BOTH+Legacy first. What might be wrong?
I have installed Fedora 23 on my P50. In your BIOS, display configuration, select Discrete Display card only option. Reboot and it should work.

Looks like, Fedora 23 by default cannot work with Intel HD graphics.

Linux drivers are available for Quadro M2000M from Nvidia.
Old 19th March 2016, 08:51 PM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

switching from Hybrid to Discrete did not solve the problem for me:
With Discrete Graphics, only the screen resolution was reduced to 1280x720 - however, I still had to install Fedora in Basic Graphic Mode and could not reboot it from the local HD.

However, I finally solved the problem: I had to disable the OS Optimized Defaults in the BIOS.
Now Fedora 23 is running (with 4K-Graphics).

Did somebody also manage to enable the Intel 8260 Wireless Card? I can still use Ethernet only ..
Old 20th March 2016, 12:30 PM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

.. unfortunately, I have more serious problems (than the WiFi) now: Since I ran a dnd update, I cannot login anymore. Fedora boots, but then, there is only a blank screen. And it does not help when I switch between Discrete and Hybrid graphics in the BIOS (this only alters the screen resolution). Any idea, how I can re-login. Should I re-install or open the rescue prompt and downgrade the system? I would really prefer to get the system repaired somehow ..
Old 24th March 2016, 10:09 PM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linefader View Post
Fedora boots, but then, there is only a blank screen.
I solved this problem: this was not caused by the update, but when I tried to install the Fedora screensavers (Flurry etc.) I also installed the OpenGL mesa-.. drivers for intel which were in conflict with my nvidia drivers.
After uninstalling mesa-libGL .. packages, I could log in graphically again.

However, I'ld like to have the 3D stuff for nvidia and I don't know, what to install. I tried
dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
but got the following error:

Error: Transaction check error:
file /usr/lib64/nvidia/libnvidia-ml.so.1 from install of xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-1:358.16-2.fc23.x86_64 conflicts with file from package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-1:352.39-1.fc21.x86_64

Probably because I installed the CUDA development kit for F21 before (there is no F23 version available so far).

How can I resolve this conflict?
Old 2nd April 2016, 04:58 PM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I finally managed to install F23 using the NVIDIA-drivers + OpenGL + the CUDA development kit on my P50 via the following procedure:
1) Go to BIOS (boot with F1), enable compatibility support mode (CSM) and hybrid graphics, disable secure boot and OS-optimized defaults
2) Boot from stick in basic graphic mode (from the Troubleshoot submenu) and install
3) Download the M2000M driver from http://www.nvidia.com/Download
4) Install the NVIDIA driver in runlevel 3 and uninstall Nouveau following this guide: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...a-nvidia-guide (including the installation of the 32-bit support)
5) Reboot into runlevel 5 and install CUDA 7.5 from developer.nvidia.com (including the installation of the gpu-deployment kit and the cuda-drivers)
6) Reboot into BIOS and switch from Hybrid to Discrete Graphics
7) Reboot and everthing looks fine

I had to uninstall Fedora 23 two times (from a blank screen) before I succeeded with the abovely described procedure.
However, there is still a problem:

I do not get any output from the HDMI port.
I don't know if the Lenovo Display Port or the Thunderbolt-3 ports work (I ordered adapters which have not been shipped yet).
So, currently I don't know, how I can connect an external display (or projector) to the Laptop.
When I open the NVIDA-Driver setting and click on Detect Displays, anything which I tried to connect to the HDMI output was not detected. Can anybody help?
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:32 AM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Since I still had no success with my HDMI port, I'ld like to try the Mini Display Port next.
I have an Apple Mini Display Port Adapter now but that does not fit.
Does Lenovo have its own Mini Display Port? Where can I get an Adapter for this port?

Tags
f23 , installing , lenovo , p50