Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th February 2016, 10:19 AM
Linefader Offline

macossafari
Installing Fedora on a HP Spectre X2

Hello, I want to install Fedora 23 on my new Spectre X2.

Has anybody ever installed Fedora on this Laptop?
I've read, there are some issues with using Ubuntu (UEFI, Backlight, WiFi and TouchPad did not work out of the box). Are there similar experiences with Fedora?

If there is something I need to take special care for, please let me know.
I am planning to get rid of Windows 10 and use only Linux on this laptop.
If you could point me to a good step-by-step guide for an installation that works, I'ld be quite happy. Thanks in advance!
Old 10th February 2016, 10:52 AM
unixer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Installing F23 on a HP Spectre X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linefader View Post
I am planning to get rid of Windows 10 and use only Linux on this laptop.
If you are so afraid of facing any problem with hardware compatibility, why don't you try dual boot installation first?
Old 10th February 2016, 10:57 AM
Linefader Offline

macossafari

I am not afraid. I've done it on other Laptops before (e.g. Lenovo Yoga).
However, it cost me some time to fix certain issues (WiFi & TouchPad on the Yoga).
If I could save this time, I'ld be pretty happy if someone who already did the installation on a Spectre could tell me what to take care for.

I don't need Windows and I'ld like to have the full disc space for my Linux installation.
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:05 PM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am running F23 for some weeks now on this laptop and everything works perfectly: TouchScreen, WiFi, .. there were no problems at all. I can highly recommend this laptop for running Fedora.

However, I actually set up the machine for dual-boot (with Windows 10) and whenever I turn on the computer I have to press F9 to go into the HP boot menu and select the Fedora partition to run GRUB2 which is unnecessary, since GRUB 2 also allows to select either Windows or Fedora. Does anybody know a way to disable the HP boot manager and go directly into GRUB2?
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:24 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linefader
Does anybody know a way to disable the HP boot manager and go directly into GRUB2?
You cannot do that except to disable UEFI mode and switch to Legacy (MBR) mode and install your OS's in that mode. What you refer to as "the HP boot manager" is the UEFI systems "OS boot loader" (accessed with F9 on HP machines). The OS boot loader looks at the contents of the ESP (EFI system partition(s)) on bootup, which is where it finds the OS entries to boot from. The Fedora entry in the ESP takes you to the grub menu. On many HP machines, instead of labeling the Windows OS as "Windows", they give it the name of "OS boot manager", and disable access to the actual UEFI OS boot manager utility.

On many UEFI systems, you can simply run the efibootmgr command line program as root in Fedoa and change the boot order, making Fedora the first in line (default) to boot instead of Windows. Not so on many (or most) of HP machines. Well, you can use the efibootmgr to change the boot order in Fedora on HP machines, but upon the next boot, the boot order is reset so that the first OS installed is always reset to be the first in the boot order. Thank you HP for taking such good care of us and protecting us from ourselves.

I dual boot W8/Fedora on an HP Envy dv7 and have this issue. One solution I found on the web was from a user with some flavor of HP laptop where he removed the Windows entry from the ESP, leaving just Fedora, then reinstalling the Windows entry (all with efibootmgr), essentially making Fedora the first (default) boot entry. A procedure not for the faint of heart.

What I have done on my HP laptop, since I only boot into Windows occassionaly (mostly just to keep it updated), is to use one feature of the efibootmgr that HP hasn't foiled. And that's the "boot next" function. Since the boot next function is a one shoot deal, I put the command to do that into my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script. That way, everytime I boot into Fedora, the boot next is reset. To boot into W8, I have to use the F9 key at startup, and then the F9 key again to get back into Fedora since booting into Windows clears the boot next.
Code:
efibootmgr -q -n 3002
Just run efibootmgr as root to see your current boot order and other info. Currently, mine looks like this.
Code:
$ sudo efibootmgr
BootNext: 3002
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 3000,3001,3002,2001,2002,2003
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* EFI HDD Device (TOSHIBA MQ01ABD075)
Boot0002* Fedora
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
You can try resetting the boot order using efibootmgr to see if what I have said still applies in your case. It will either stick, or not. See "man efibootmgr".

Last edited by PabloTwo; 3rd April 2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:29 AM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Since the boot next function is a one shoot deal, I put the command to do that into my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script. That way, everytime I boot into Fedora, the boot next is reset. To boot into W8, I have to use the F9 key at startup, and then the F9 key again to get back into Fedora since booting into Windows clears the boot next.
I've also set it up like this now. Thanks for your help!
Old 31st May 2016, 01:54 PM
pratyadi Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Hi guys,

You can really help us out here.

I just bought Spectre x2 specifically to run Linux.

Now I have got my Fedora Cinnamon Live installed on my USB SD Card reader.

It could load, after modifying the BIOS to enable Legacy system, and select the USB to launch during boot. It went into the Live option menu, to either run Live CD or Troubleshoot. Now after I selected Live CD, the screen went blank, then printed some funny hexa characters like
XS 2B CE UY 8F 9D G1

I could see that it could recognise the device, but it just crashed afterwards.

What should I do to get through this?

Last edited by pratyadi; 2nd June 2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:51 AM
pratyadi Offline

windows_7chrome

Updated 2/6/16: Problem solved!
I downloaded the 64-bit version of the Fedora Workstation Live USB. It runs GNOME3, loads like charm on the machine.
I wonder if that could be the problem with Cinnamon graphic driver, or just wrong bit version that caused the earlier problem.

I am now comparing it with Ubuntu 16.04 and deciding which I should install permanently on the Spectre.

So far my finding are as follows:
- Ubuntu Cinnamon 32 bit: Went into desktop and crashed in an infinite loop.
- Debian 64 bit: black screen after boot
- Ubuntu 64 bit 14.04: Unity works like charm, with few exception: The side volume buttons do not work, the keyboard speakers do not work.
- Fedora 23 Workstation 64-bit: Works like charm, with few exceptions: The side volume buttons do not work, the keyboard speakers do not work. What works out of the box: Wifi, touchpad (even the double fingers gesture), keyboard backlight, screen off when cover is closed.

I feel that Fedora 23 would be the most suitable for Spectre x2, due to its out-of-the-box features, with no real fuss to get the essentials working. The other features are nice too have, but there are other ways to get around not having the volume buttons or the speakers, such as adding an external bluetooth speaker. Spectre X2 has among the worst laptop / mobile / tablet speakers of the modern era.

Last edited by pratyadi; 2nd June 2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 2nd June 2016, 01:05 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Spectre X2 has among the worst laptop / mobile / table speakers of the modern era.
I miss the speakers from my old hp nx9105. they were really powerful JBL driver units, not like the paper-thin trash commonly fitted these days. My Fujitsu's are acceptable for the odd youtube clip or TV show unlike the Asus F3Sr's were (very tinny and next to no stereo separation as they were offset to one side). I used to use external Lacie USB speakers or headphones with that.

64-bit Fedora Cinammon should work just the same as Workstation. I'm not sure about the current reliability of bluetooth audio support though.
Old 2nd June 2016, 01:25 AM
pratyadi Offline

windows_7chrome

I think I like to start with the basic Workstation, and then add Cinnamon on top of it.
Workstation seems to be designed towards the touchscreen, whereas Cinnamon will unleash its full potential when the keyboard is attached.

As for the speakers, I'm gonna save up for the UEBoom or something decent:
http://au.pcmag.com/computer-speaker...eakers-of-2016

Old 14th September 2016, 01:51 PM
Linefader Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am running F24 now and I am still happy ..

did anybody get the mobile broadband connection to work? I could setup my connection in the network manager, entered the PIN and started/enabled the ModemManager. However, the newly configured mobile broadband connection does not show up in my list of available networks. Any ideas?
Old 19th November 2016, 09:13 AM
deuxdeux Offline

linuxfirefox

hi, i would like to buy this laptop hybrid, been wondering:
1. are the pcie wireless and SSD replaceable? can i open the machine up and do it?
2. how strong is it? can gnome 3 run smoothly on it?
3. i have a laptop from 2010 (core i5-450m), are the new core m7 better? equivalent?

thanks for helping guys :-)
Old 21st November 2016, 03:05 PM
deuxdeux Offline

linuxfirefox
HP spectre x2

hello everyone,
i would like to buy this laptop and been wondering:
1. are the pcie wireless and SSD replaceable? can i open the machine up and do it?
2. how strong is it? can gnome 3 run smoothly on it?
3. i have a laptop from 2010 (core i5-450m), are the new core m7 better? equivalent?
4. i read somewhere that the usb C can only be charged with the original HP charger - is it a software thing? (meaning - if i install linux, would any USB C charger work?)

thanks for your help!
Old 21st November 2016, 03:14 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

please don't open a duplicate thread deuxdeux. if someone knows the answers they will reply. regarding charging of the device over USB-C doing what HP state to avoid the risk of damaging the system or worse exploding the battery is my advice.

Tags
f23 , installing , spectre