Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th July 2012, 12:52 PM
GeekGirl Offline

linuxfirefox
Help with printer selection

Hi all,

I have searched and can not find any info on new MFC's under Fedora. I am running FC16 64Bit, I am looking at buying a new MFC as I need A3. I like the Epson WorkForce 7520 as it has Dual tray so I can have A3 and A4.

I would like to use it via USB, so I can use the scanner

I am still getting used to Fedora

So does anyone know if it is supported (I can not find Drives at epson) ?

TIA,

Kat.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:16 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Help with printer selection

Epson does have linux drivers for that printer, but it could possibly be supported with the drivers included in CUPS by now.

Linux drivers on the Epson site:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63093090

Under "Drivers and Downloads", select the "All" option, then way down at the bottom are the linux drivers
Old 10th July 2012, 03:22 PM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

When all is said and done, all the opt ins/outs are taken, it brings you to a search page with no drivers for that printer. It is not even listed at http://www.cups.org, as best I can tell this printer has not linux support.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:32 PM
GeekGirl Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Epson does have linux drivers for that printer, but it could possibly be supported with the drivers included in CUPS by now.

Linux drivers on the Epson site:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63093090

Under "Drivers and Downloads", select the "All" option, then way down at the bottom are the linux drivers
Been there, no drivers

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpierce View Post
When all is said and done, all the opt ins/outs are taken, it brings you to a search page with no drivers for that printer. It is not even listed at http://www.cups.org, as best I can tell this printer has not linux support.
Yeap, Cups was the second place i looked (after the main epson site bombed out).

I may just look at buying a standalone A3 inkjet for now (mainly cad drawings and front panels for electronics projects)

Thanks all,

I will keep monitoring incase something pops up.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:46 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I tried downloading them using the link on that page, and you're correct. no drivers. It says they have them,and gives the option to download them, but it won't download them when you try it.

There is a package in the Fedora repo that has epson printer drivers in it, but according to the site shwon in the description, that printer isn't listed as one of the supported printers, and also, go to the site, and it states that maintenance of that application has been turned over to Epson. So, I'm not sure where to tell you to look for drivers now.

Edit:

Meant to include link to above mentioned site:
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

Last edited by DBelton; 10th July 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:53 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfirefox

Those links in epson website have never worked for me. What has done a splendid job for me thus far, on SL 6, F16 and F17 (all 64-bit), is drivers from Avasys.

The installation is straightforward and works without any hassle (for me).
Old 10th July 2012, 04:00 PM
GeekGirl Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Those links in epson website have never worked for me. What has done a splendid job for me thus far, on SL 6, F16 and F17 (all 64-bit), is drivers from Avasys.

The installation is straightforward and works without any hassle (for me).
This is now Epson, But when I checked again, it now shows the drivers (It is not a WF2750 on their site it is now a WF-2750 (opposite from the main site)

Well I now have 2 options so which ever is in stock (and I would prefer the epson with A3 scan and dual trays
Thanks all for the help

Regards,

Kat.
Old 10th July 2012, 04:06 PM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

I forgot the avasys page, I found a driver there one time myself. . Good luck with it though, I personally have always had the best luck with HP printers. We did have a nice konica-minolta color laser once that functioned well and they supplied drivers for it as well, even in RPM format.
Old 10th July 2012, 04:58 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This came up on a basic search in google: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-WF-7520

The RPMs available there are just updated versions of the same ones you can get here: http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/do...n-inkjet/escp/
Look for the download section for the WF-7015 model. It looks like the WF-7520 works with the driver for the WF-7015. The info in the RPM says:
Quote:
This printer driver is supporting the following printers.

WF-7010
WF-7011
WF-7012
WF-7015
WF-7520
WF-7521
WF-7525
The RPM installs the drivers under /opt, so you'd have to figure out how to use those. The PPD files will be in /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201115w/ppds/Epson, so you might be able to import the /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201115w/ppds/Epson/Epson-WF-7520_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz file using system-config-printer.

Good luck.
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 11th July 2012, 04:18 PM
GeekGirl Offline

linuxfirefox

Well the decision was made for me, they did not have the Epson in stock, so bought the HP 7500A, great unit, I can even scan over the network under Fedora, which I could not do from the older Epson I had

Tags
driver , printer , selection