Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th August 2005, 12:40 AM
KCy29581 Offline

fedora repo having java, flash, etc

Hi all,

I have a very simple question: is there a repository for Fedora Core 4 that has:

nvidia drivers
sun java
macromedia flash
etc... (other "usuals" that work in Windows)

basically its all the "oh no!" proprietary apps.

This "dream repo" should also have the unique ability to NOT mess up my installation...

Thanks!
Old 6th August 2005, 07:22 AM
4ebees Offline

I use FC3 and there is an unofficial guide that assists with installing these 'proprietary apps' )

Check out this:

http://evolutioncolt.com/fedoraguide/
Old 6th August 2005, 09:05 AM
ace2005 Offline

I found that the best thing to do with Java is to go to http://rpm.pbone.net/ click on advanced, then click on uncheck all and then select only fedora core 4, then search for J2re, unfortunately you won't find it so you'll have to tick the box for Mandrake 10.x as well, then search and then download j2re-1.5.0.3-1.101mcnl.i586.rpm. Then it'll work fine

I use it a lot because sometimes i there are missing dependencies while trying to install pograms in synaptic
Old 6th August 2005, 11:07 AM
Twey Offline

The repository from JPackage.org has Java-based apps and the JRE and JDK. Instructions for installing the Livna repository, which contains nvidia-glx and kernel-module-nvidia, are here. As far as I know, there is no repository for flashplayer; it must be downloaded from Macromedia's site. Most proprietary apps can be found on Livna or fedora-extras, such as MP3 support for XMMS (xmms-mp3) and k3b (k3b-mp3).

Last edited by Twey; 6th August 2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 6th August 2005, 12:10 PM
ace2005 Offline

You can get the Macromedia Flash Plugin RPM file from this site http://macromedia.mplug.org/
Old 6th August 2005, 01:07 PM
KCy29581 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2005
You can get the Macromedia Flash Plugin RPM file from this site http://macromedia.mplug.org/
I'm going to use this as an example: if every time I needed an app, I just downloaded it's RPM, soon I'd go crazy trying to keep everything up to date.

The reason I'm asking for a repo: I want to see if Fedora is viable as a desktop choice for me. Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu, and others find ways to incorporate some proprietary apps in their distros. Others like Debian (example) cannot be a viable choice for me, as just getting java as a deb package can be a pain.

So I'm still looking for a repository that I can juat add to yum, and not worry anymore. Is is possible, yes or no?

Thanks
Old 6th August 2005, 07:04 PM
markkuk Offline

No. Macromedia and Sun don't allow free redistribution of their packages. If you want to use their software, you must follow their rules.
P.S. macromedia.mplug.org is yum enabled, download their .repo file from: http://macromedia.mplug.org/macromedia-i386.repo and place it to your /etc/yum.repos.d/

Last edited by markkuk; 6th August 2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 6th August 2005, 08:15 PM
KCy29581 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkuk
No. Macromedia and Sun don't allow free redistribution of their packages. If you want to use their software, you must follow their rules.
P.S. macromedia.mplug.org is yum enabled, download their .repo file from: http://macromedia.mplug.org/macromedia-i386.repo and place it to your /etc/yum.repos.d/
I'm confused.. is http://macromedia.mplug.org/ breaking the rules then like every other linux distro? Is there anyone else breaking the rules for Sun as well? For Fedora obviously...
Old 6th August 2005, 11:31 PM
markkuk Offline

How about reading the actual page?
Quote:
This is the official mirror system of Macromedia Linux packages.
With permission from Macromedia we take their software and package
it in Linux friendly ways (RPM, DEB, ebuild). These packages are
made available for manual download, apt-get, yum, urpmi, or emerge.

Macromedia's EULA forbids repackaging and/or redistribution of
their software so please do not mirror this repository.
Old 7th August 2005, 08:37 AM
KCy29581 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkuk
How about reading the actual page?
thanks for posting that. For some reason that part did not appear on my Windows machine at first...! Oh well, it's there now. Sorry, that really made me look like an idiot.

Ok, so that clarifies that I can easily use Macromedia Flash with Fedora, I understand that the same rules of redistribution apply to Sun's Java, so the best way to get that with Fedora is just to download it and install it from their site, right?

What about Adobe Acrobat and nVidia drivers? How do Fedora users easily get these?

If you haven't guessed already I'm trying to make Fedora my main distro to see if it works for me. However everything must work!

Thanks for the patience and help

Tags
fedora, flash, java, repo