Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st August 2017, 01:52 AM
ramzes777 Offline

windows_7chrome
New distros release and support for old ones question

Hi guys,

I am new to Fedora and I am making an effort to shift from Windows 10. I feel extremely bored of MS Windows, I am in IT and have to deal with it every day at work. One thing that mostly annoying about MS is that it constantly re-brands functions and changes names of things we are used to. Sometimes it seams that they do it just because they can!

One thing I've noticed about updates that Fedora Project and Microsoft approach things differently.

Why does Fedora move to a brand new distro altogether instead of following rolling updates strategy (the one that Windows users used to) and stopping support for old ones?

I would be interested to know if you move to new distros when they come out or keep using the one you are used to.

What would be a reason for you to move to a new distro? If for instance the one you are using suits you and no apparent bugs that annoy you?

Does RHEL follow same update process too?

Cheers.
Old 31st August 2017, 03:51 AM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox
Re: New distros release and support for old ones question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzes777 View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to Fedora and I am making an effort to shift from Windows 10. I feel extremely bored of MS Windows, I am in IT and have to deal with it every day at work. One thing that mostly annoying about MS is that it constantly re-brands functions and changes names of things we are used to. Sometimes it seams that they do it just because they can!

One thing I've noticed about updates that Fedora Project and Microsoft approach things differently.

Why does Fedora move to a brand new distro altogether instead of following rolling updates strategy (the one that Windows users used to) and stopping support for old ones?

I would be interested to know if you move to new distros when they come out or keep using the one you are used to.

What would be a reason for you to move to a new distro? If for instance the one you are using suits you and no apparent bugs that annoy you?

Does RHEL follow same update process too?

Cheers.
Welcome to the world of Linux.
You will find many subtle differences between the way Linux works from what you are used to in Windows. Take your time to get accustomed to these differences and don't expect Linux to just be a free Windows. Also, there are a multitude of different distributions and software combinations that you can try - not just Gnome on Fedora, so if you find something annoying, there is probably some alternative you might like better. It can often take several years of trying alternatives before you find one that is comfortable - you have choices

One reason for the complete replacement distro is simply because they can. With Fedora being entirely open source it means the maintainers are able to rebuild everything from source - not just the core, but all the applications as well - something Microsoft could never do.

One difference between Linux and Windows is that the binary interface (ABI) to the OS is more stable under Windows - programs written for XP will probably still run. The lack of stability in the ABI is not a significant issue for Linux since the open source programs can simply be rebuilt. However, it is a pain for those that want to provide commercial software for Linux - this is most keenly felt for Nvidia.

Another advantage of installing a new distro is that you clean out all the cruft. It is normally possible to do an update from one release to the next, but after a few iterations you start to find things begin to get a bit cluttered with things like obsolete configuration files and such. So, one or two updates, and then a re-install is probably what most Fedora users do.

A new distro also makes it easier for new users. They can install the latest version of everything. Otherwise you would be installing an old version and then rolling forward through the subsequent updates.

I use Scientific Linux, which is a rebadged RHEL aimed at workstation users (as opposed to Centos which targets servers). I installed version 7.1, but its now at 7.3 with no action on my part - it was all automatic. However you would have to do a full install to get from one major version to the next. This is not a problem since the support lifetime is many years.

The reason for moving from Fedora to SL7 was that the 6 monthly upgrade was interfering with my development work. My projects often take several years to implement and having major elements change every six months quickly becomes annoying.

Don't hesitate to ask questions on this forum - there are a lot of helpful and very experienced users here.
Old 31st August 2017, 08:59 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

yes, basically the very short lifecycle for Fedora is because it is a development operating system used by redhat to try out new versions of kernels and applications before they hit RHEL.

Fedora lifecycle is approximately 1 year, not six months. There is a rolling build of Fedora called rawhide. However, it is not recommended for general usage.

Taking the current releases as an example:

Fedora 25 will be EOL 30 days after Fedora 27 is released
Fedora 26 will be EOL 30 days after Fedora 28 is released
Fedora 27 anticipated release date is the end of October 2017
Fedora 28 (rawhide) - will be branched from rawhide after Fedora 27 is released

so yes, you can either follow the latest releases or stick with one that works well for at least two releases.

with regards RHEL and CentOS, they are long term support. For example the end of support for CentOS 7 (a rebranded community build of RHEL) is 30 June 2024.

CentOS 6, the previous release is still supported until 30 Nov 2020 but like Windows 7 is now in the final phase of support (an upstream RHEL6 policy decision) and only receives security updates.

With Fedora and any other operating system you can of course carry on using them after support ends but it isn't recommended for best security practise.
Old 31st August 2017, 11:26 AM
ramzes777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Thank your detailed replies. ton of useful information. And I already thing that I may have stated with a wrong distro. One of the reasons for me to migrate to Lunux is to start building skills that I can use in my professional career. So perhaps Scientific Linux or CentOS are better distributions to use with a view of building these skills?

I have promised myself to be patient and to take time to learn the ropes and not get frustrated when something does not work out.
Old 31st August 2017, 11:38 AM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzes777 View Post
Thank your detailed replies. ton of useful information. And I already thing that I may have stated with a wrong distro. One of the reasons for me to migrate to Lunux is to start building skills that I can use in my professional career. So perhaps Scientific Linux or CentOS are better distributions to use with a view of building these skills?

I have promised myself to be patient and to take time to learn the ropes and not get frustrated when something does not work out.
In your position I would stay with Fedora.
This forum has much more interesting traffic than those for Scientific Linux or CentOS. I think you are much more likely to get a good responses to questions here.

The alternative might be Ubuntu, but in my experience RedHat has the market for Linux in the professional world, so something with their basis would be better choice.

Also, Fedora will give you an insight into what is coming for RedHat, so you will already have the experience when the features get to RHEL.
Old 31st August 2017, 12:17 PM
tryfedoraa Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I think this is a great resource if you're new to Linux and Fedora

Linux Questions Answered! The ultimate Linux resource guide
Old 31st August 2017, 12:45 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post
This forum has much more interesting traffic than those for Scientific Linux or CentOS. I think you are much more likely to get a good responses to questions here.

The alternative might be Ubuntu, but in my experience RedHat has the market for Linux in the professional world, so something with their basis would be better choice.

Also, Fedora will give you an insight into what is coming for RedHat, so you will already have the experience when the features get to RHEL.
Or since Centos is like an old Fedora, you could install that and ask Centos questions here.
Centos 6 questions are similar to someone that installed Fedora 12 or 13 and Centos 7 to Fedora 19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ha...ip_with_Fedora
Old 31st August 2017, 12:46 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

@tryfedoraa yes but also a bit outdated in parts. I think it needs reviewing and possibly revising for 2017.

EDIT - yep a plethora of broken links and information that refers to deprecated commands and packages
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:26 AM
ramzes777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post

Indeed people here are super helpful

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfedoraa View Post
I think this is a great resource if you're new to Linux and Fedora

Linux Questions Answered! The ultimate Linux resource guide
Cool. Thank you for the link. I will go through this info. Looks like all the beginner needs to know, brief and in one place.