Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:18 PM
tichun Offline

linuxchrome
First impressions with Fedora

Hi there, I just wanted to share some observations after using Fedora for the first time, yet I'm not a linux novice.

I'm using Raspberry Pi 3b and tried the glorious Fedora 26 ARM after using Raspbian previously but I surmise this relates to x86 too.

The thing is that Fedora booted into terminal after 2-3 minutes vs under 4 seconds in Debian.
It's unacceptable condition!!!
I masked most services but it reduced it by half a minute at maximum.

That's a shame, especially that Fedora has far better software on top of it. I mean there is mesa 17 and not 13, firefox 55 not 52, gcc 7 vs 6 etc. that are in debian 9 released just two months ago.

Another thing was that dnf performance is a tenth of apt's and I know what I'm talking about as Raspberry Pi is great for such comparisions as you don't have to benchmark but watch.
Also it has werid policy with dependencies, for I couldn't get rid of java without removing libreoffice too. This is not present in debian. And LO has quite similiar version in deb(5.2.7)

I cannot comprehend why updates in Fedora mimick Windows in terms of making user unable to use the computer during that time and in terms of being veery slow.(I tried to update in cli, too, but that was as bad as it crashed graphical session at some point)
Among these I was met by more annoyances - e.g. chromium was in gnome-software but install button did nothing and it wasn't found in cli with dnf, or that there was no sound through jack and no video hw accel. but the the last two result form using only upstream without pi mods and I would be ok without those.

I don't think I will install Fedora in the future but I wish you a good time there.
Cheers

Last edited by tichun; 22nd August 2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:01 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: First impressions with Fedora

moved to Fedora Focus
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:44 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I suspect that fedora initiated a scan of the hard disk(s). (refer to /etc/fstab settings). It would do so if the last shutdown was irregular (pulled the plug), or if too many days elapsed since the disk was last used.

Please let it startup, then do a reboot or poweroff/boot, and then a reboot. What timings did you get with this test?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 23rd August 2017, 06:55 AM
alphacrucis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

" couldn't get rid of java without removing libreoffice too."

Libreoffice used to require java to work. I gather that they have gradually been replacing the jave bits. Maybe Debian have noticed that java it is no longer needed but whoever packages libreoffice for fedora hasn't yet noticed that java is no longer a dependency.
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:02 PM
Kobuck Online

linuxfedorafirefox

You don't say, but it sounds like you are using the default Gnome 3 desktop for your installation.
The following comments relate to trying to run Gnome 3 on Raspberry Pi 3 ARM processor.

Gnome is a resource intensive environment and may be more than the Raspberry Pi 3 can handle.

Raspbian currently uses the LXDE desktop environment which is much "lighter". You will probably get much more comparable results using the Fedora LXDE spin or XFCE spin. You will find that not all applications available on Fedora are available on these spins. However, any package available on Raspbian should be compatible with the Fedora LXDE spin. ( excepting the package management tools where Raspbian = apt and Fedora = dnf )

If you are using Gnome then you share the views of many who have used their GUI software management app. Using the "dnf" command line tool is much more reliable. I don't find a significant difference between dnf and apt in the end-to-end time of getting an update done. Apt generates much more screen activity and appears to be zooming right along, but I think if you actually timed yourself end-to-end you will find little difference.

Just my 2 cents.
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc26.armv7hl
Old 24th August 2017, 10:08 AM
tichun Offline

linuxchrome

I mentioned TTY terminal
I tried dwm too, which is what I mostly use everywhere.
Gnome was also quite usable with gnome background processes and animations off.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:06 PM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tichun View Post
The thing is that Fedora booted into terminal after 2-3 minutes vs under 4 seconds in Debian.
It's unacceptable condition!!!
I masked most services but it reduced it by half a minute at maximum.
Assuming it's not a disk check, run "systemd-analyze blame" to see what's taking so long at boot time.

Quote:
Another thing was that dnf performance is a tenth of apt's and I know what I'm talking about as Raspberry Pi is great for such comparisions as you don't have to benchmark but watch.
I do find dnf a bit slower than apt, although I personally prefer dnf (probably as I come from old Redhat/RPM based distros), it's not painfully slow though, it's like comparing a McLaren and a Ferrari, they're both fast enough.

Quote:
I cannot comprehend why updates in Fedora mimick Windows in terms of making user unable to use the computer during that time and in terms of being veery slow.(I tried to update in cli, too, but that was as bad as it crashed graphical session at some point)
That's odd, I don't think I've ever had X crash or slow when using dnf command line and I've definitely not been able to use the OS while it's upgrading. I wonder if it's a Rasberry Pi performance thing?
Old 29th August 2017, 01:13 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

dnfdragora shares a lot of traits with a McLaren Honda MCL32

I prefer yumex from copr which is the equivalent of the old MP4/6, not as technically advanced but a reliable championship winning formula.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:20 PM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
I prefer yumex from copr which is the equivalent of the old MP4/6, not as technically advanced but a reliable championship winning formula.
I remember patching old Solaris boxes back in the day and manually finding hundreds of prereqs to install, I guess that's the equivalent of Sauber... actually, more like go-karting....nope, that's still fun... driving a garbage truck?

Tags
fedora, impressions