Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2010, 05:25 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Update notifier

Is there a way to get a notification that there are updates available other than by using the Software Update GUI tool in my Gnome panelon Fedora 11 x86_64?

I ask this because the Software Update GUI is hopeless:

1) It cannot remember its window size. Every time I tell it to display available updates I have to drag the window big enough to see everything. Next time I tell it to show me the available updates it is back to the same small window size.

2) It hangs on "Cleanup" about half the time, leaving me to wonder if everything was actually installed or not.

3) Because Software Update is so buggy I generally use Yumex to do the update. After installing all the updated packages Software Update still says there are packages to install. Even then it doesn't get it right. Just now it said there were 16 packages. I used Yumex to install them. Now it says there are three available. But if I tell it to display them it shows all 16. Yes, I understand that it did not reset itself after I installed the packages, but it should have. Telling me there are three and then listing 16 tells me Software Update can't even count.

I do want something to appear in my Gnome panel when there are updates. It doesn't even have to have a built-in installer. I just want it to be reliable and accurate.
Old 3rd March 2010, 05:29 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Try yum-updatesd

V
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:09 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Try yum-updatesd
What is yum-updatesd?

[jjj@Devil8 ~]$ sudo yum-updatesd
[sudo] password for jjj:
sudo: yum-updatesd: command not found
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:15 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
su
yum install yum-updatesd
Quote:
Summary Update notification daemon
Description yum-updatesd provides a daemon which checks for available updates and
can notify you when they are available via email, syslog or dbus.
V
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:56 AM
JohnJasonJordan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
su
yum install yum-updatesd
V
Thanks.

I installed it, but now how do I get it to notify me when there are updates? I read the man page, but apparently it will notify you via e-mail, syslog or dbus. E-mail is not acceptable, and I don't know what syslog or dbus are, or how to get them to tell me there are updates.

Man yum-updatesd also failed to tell me how often it runs or how to change how often it runs.
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:05 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
yum-updatesd is a system service, and so must be running ([ON]) and enabled to start in desired run-levels (use chkconfig or Sytem Services GUI). I do not know off-hand if it's enabled by default (probably not, due to PackageKit). So: first ensure that it's enabled and running. It appears to me that it is set to use dbus notifications by default (should appear in sys-tray notifications, assuming dbus service is running - yours is, isn't it?), at one-hour intervals:
Code:
~]$ cat /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = dbus
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = yes

# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = no
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = no
More details: man yum-updatesd.conf

V

P.S. Note that when it is running (that is: actively checking for updates, once an hour for a few minutes or so), it will acquire a lock on YUM (and RPM database).

P.P.S. Install also yum-plugin-refresh-updatesd to auto-refresh yum-updatesd after you manually install/update/remove stuff via some other YUM front-end.
Quote:
Summary Tell yum-updatesd to check for updates when yum exits
Description yum-refresh-updatesd tells yum-updatesd to check for updates when yum exits.
This way, if you run 'yum update' and install all available updates, puplet
will almost instantly update itself to reflect this.

Tags
software updates